Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gail blowing through door

Options
  • 02-03-2018 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

My front door has been getting increasingly worse over the past few months. The door is the heavy PVC door and looks like its off kilter on the right hand side which is the locking side by a degree or two.

I rent the house and have done for many years and the rest of the house is in great condition. Myself and my wife do all the upkeep and treat it like our own place. Standing to one side you can see light through the frame !! I have spoken to the landlord about it and how we're loosing a lot of heat through the hallway and he said he's not going to do anything about it.

Given the bad weather at the moment its a lot more noticeable. We have sealed the door with weather strips but because the door isn't square on the frame they dont work the best.

Does anyone have any suggestions ??.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Similar problem, blocked mine up with compressed kitchen towel of all things which has done the job fine until the weather passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

White duct tape works a treat and can easily be removed when needed ,we've a bad draught coming through our apartment door at the bottom have a nice flexible seal on it for now ,

only temporary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Thanks guys, temporary solutions are great but I'm thinking long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is Gail good looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

D3V!L wrote: »

Ideally he should replace the door , maybe ask again and if he says no get on the tenancy board and see what they say,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Is Gail good looking?

Naughty naughty, besides she's on the other side of the door so it doesn't really matter.

To the OP:

Door hinges on Pvc doors sometimes slip and just need a simple adjustment. Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRqbrqt0cw

Is Gail good looking?

She's white, pasty and a bitter c*nt

Naughty naughty, besides she's on the other side of the door so it doesn't really matter.

To the OP:

Door hinges on Pvc doors sometimes slip and just need a simple adjustment. Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRqbrqt0cw

Perfect, looks like whats happening. I'll give this a shot.

Obviously not today :o

Silver duck tape was used and is sealing up nicely for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

door probably needs adjusting

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

a new door most likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Myself and my wife do all the upkeep and treat it like our own place. Standing to one side you can see light through the frame !! I have spoken to the landlord about it and how we're loosing a lot of heat through the hallway and he said he's not going to do anything about it.

Sounds like a lovely guy!

Just lean on him a bit harder, insist and don't take no for an answer.

A functional front door ie. one that keeps the outside outside is an essential part of a rental. That door is completely negating the BER of the property and costing you money in lost energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We have a wooden style door in a 10 year old house and have a problem with the hinge at the top right and a gap appearing at the top right. Who do we ask to get something like that fixed? Are we ringing a door and window company or are they just likely to tell us to replace? We stuffed it with pj's for the snow lol

lawred2 wrote: »
    a new door most likely

Heavy PVC doors dont shrink or rot, so if it once worked correctly, it shouldnt need replacing, just some hinge adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Ideally your landlord will replace the front door with a nice new composite one but in the meantime hang a heavy curtain in front of the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The wife's parents got one of these doors in and 2weeks after fitted 2 robbing backstards tried to break it open with screw drivers and crow bars.

They damaged the plastic outer part but couldn't budge the door.

They made a huge mistake as all they had to do was pop the crappiest of euro locks which was fitted.

They have it about 4 years now and it's not sitting right at all since one it's so heavy and two a gob****e they let stay from Germany for a week couldn't understand how to lock or unlock or even open the door so it turned out he was basically battering the door and pushing all weight on handle and bent the door all sorts including fixing to walls.

I did tell them but wouldn't listen.
    Door now extremely difficult to open/close and lock near ready to snap.

Advertisement