Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one out on the roads today??

Options
  • 02-03-2018 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

How was it?? Looking at Ballyvourney to the cuh in the morning. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

tinner777 wrote: »

Cork county council are a disgrace, more chance of me gritting the roads than them. I need to be from near macroom to the airport for 6, I can let you know what it's like in the morning, if I go at all lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Ya the roads seem a hell of a lot worse this time than 5 or 7 years ago, when that sustained cold patch was around. Its like they didnt bother their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

tinner777 wrote: »

Very few people were out. I walked 3KM down to the N20 and saw 2 emergency vehicles and 1-2 tractors out. The N20 had 1 lane gritted in each direction and looked fine but everything else was under 5-6cm of snow. The main issue on untreated roads will be compacted snow and hidden ice.

Authorities specifically asked people not to take their cars out today so they can focus on getting the roads to a state where they are usable. Abandoned cars and "stuck" cars are a real hindrance and slow down their work.

Re: tomorrow morning - it's still snowing north of the city and the latest charts I saw over on the weather forum suggested a thaw / melt due to rain is unlikely to start properly until the afternoon. Depending on timing, you may be able to make it by going very slow and leaving plenty of time (at least 3-4x the usual transit time). The N22 should be fine as it's a priority road but there will be stretches were caution is needed. The city should probably be OK too.

Reading between the lines of the what's coming from the NECC, the desire is to minimise the amount of movement tomorrow morning and have most people wait until the afternoon before considering any travel. This allows them to continue clearing and gritting roads. The main criteria is not to have people taking risks with their own safety. Maybe check in with the civil defence before you make a move in the morning to determine if there is any risk.

That may all change over night if snow keeps falling...

Advertisement