Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of reporting

Options
  • 03-03-2018 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I find moderation is important. You can’t read the dailymail comment section without understanding this.
    The lads doing this should be commended. I believe they do it free.

I’m not here long but have noticed that if you are on the wrong side of the discussion there are swarms of people here that report your posts for no other reason than to get you banned. I picked up warnings for stuff that wouldn’t really upset me Ma if I said it to her yet here infractions fly.
    Are there serial reporters here that stop new members enjoying the site and having a discussion?
    Should there be a limit on the amount of posts you report or should you get a warning if you report silly things all the time.

Again I understand if people are spitting bile, being racist or name calling it’s fair game to report their post but I told somebody they sounded like Jeremy Kyle today and that upset somebody so much they reported the post.
    Should common sense powers be given to the mods where they can tell the people to cop themselves on.

I had a discussion with the mod who decided to give me the benefit of the doubt on this one but I was considering just moving on. I don’t think I’m some aggressive monster but I do enjoy discussion on some topics that might divide opinion.

I like to go into discussions with an open mind and respect for other people’s views but I’m probably not far off a permanent ban from the site over some offence taken where common sense would say ah here come on.

What if I have an important question about my car in six months and I can’t post it because I told somebody they were acting like Jeremy Kyle once.

Again fair play to the mods and I understand they can’t read the whole of every thread to check how much you were being needled before you gave the slightest response. Surely they see the same little groups appearing in the same threads reporting the crap out of every post that doesn’t suit their narrative.

Should we do something about this?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It is firstly important to say that Reported Posts are a very valuable asset to mods to help them do their jobs. Mods can’t be expected to see every post, and RPs help to identify the posts that they might need to focus on.

Having said that, reporting a post does not guarantee action will be taken. The mod applies their discretion & judgement and decides if action needs to be taken.

We do not tolerate abuse of the RP function. We have had incidents in the past where individual posters would use RPs to show their frustration, e.g. they received a card for something so they went and reported every post by other people that they felt was the same. If we have single posters abusing RPs, we do take action.

If we get a wide range of posters reporting posts though, that’s usually more a sign that the offending poster is likely the problem, rather than overzealous use of RPs. But as always, mod discretion does apply, and they will not action if they don’t feel it’s necessary

Advertisement