Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Switch-aversay Everyone!

• 03-03-2018 11:12am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A year in and the Switch has been a hit.
    So, Switch owners, how has the first twelve months been for you all?
    I trust you are as happy as I am but, if your not, tell us all why.
    But let's keep it as positive as possible!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Happy Switchaversary.

For some reason I thought it came out on St Patrick's weekend unless that was something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The switch got me back into console gaming.

Amazing machine. I've gotten more mileage out of €15/€20 digital titles than the retail boxed titles too
    I couldn't get into Mario & Rabbids and I only finished one Divine Beast in Zelda (Mario Odyssey is the exception though - love that game - I'm really enjoying Doom too).

However I've put a lot more time into games like Gungeon, Necrodancer, Isaac, Steamworld Dig 2, Celeste, Golf Story, Stardew Valley, Darkest Dungeon and a load of other great games.

I think it's fair to say that every Thursday, there are at least 3 new digital games worth buying (8/10 quality or higher).
    It's a massive improvement over the Wii U, and their shovelware control has been excellent (although not perfect).

Any time there is a new well regarded indie out on PC, my first thought is "when is it coming out on Switch?"
    Apart from a few Humble Bundles, I haven't bought anything on PC for nearly a year.

It's not perfect though - the lack of cloud saves (or even a way of backing up save games) is a massive issue. The lack of space is also a problem. I had a 32gb card, filled it, got a 64gb card, almost filled it, and now I'm looking at getting a 128gb card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Happy Switchaversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm very happy with my switch! Looking at my back posting, I actually sold my launch day not very long after launch (forgot about that) but I wasn't long coming back to it! Still haven't quite finished BOTW either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Happy Switchaversary everyone. Only have mine since Christmas but absolutely loving it. It's probably getting more play time that my PS4 and X combined. It's just so handy to pick up and play for an hour after work sprawled on the couch.

Even got herself enjoying a few games of Mario Kart.

• Advertisement

• Switch bringing fun back into console gaming for me

Loads of room to improve but it really has been an impressive first year, with possible the two best games I have played in years

And it's success is bringing that third party support with it. Other devs are finally coming to terms with its potential

I'm really eager to see what Nintendo show us at e3

• Registered Users Posts: 27 robinmgp

Has it really been a year already?!
    I've yet to even get my hands on a Wii U and I still intend to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Never had a gaming year like it. The fist time stepping onto the Great Plateau. My first victory in online Splatoon. Beating the Metro Kingdom to setup the best ending to a video game level I've ever seen. Beating Sonic Mania with my other half. Countless Mario Kart tournaments with friends. And so much more.
    Amazing memories. Best console I've ever owned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm a little concerned at the amount of mobile phone games turning up on the Eshop often at inflated prices.
    But, I suppose, you can try them on your handset before taking the plunge.

• CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned at the amount of mobile phone games turning up on the Eshop often at inflated prices.
    But, I suppose, you can try them on your handset before taking the plunge.

Agree, a negative for me.
    Seems to be a alot if ****e on the store too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Great year of gaming with the Switch. Have 16 games so far (only 3 physical) and have put in countless hours.

I feel at this stage, the only thing I really miss is the virtual console. There are so many classic games I'd like to revisit in handheld mode and Nintendo will make a fortune if they can release games from the Gamecube/Wii on it too.

Great year of gaming with the Switch. Have 16 games so far (only 3 physical) and have put in countless hours.

I feel at this stage, the only thing I really miss is the virtual console. There are so many classic games I'd like to revisit in handheld mode and Nintendo will make a fortune if they can release games from the Gamecube/Wii on it too.

I'd prefer cloud saves before VC. I'd be so pissed if something happened to my Switch and I lost all my game progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd prefer cloud saves before VC. I'd be so pissed if something happened to my Switch and I lost all my game progress.

Actually you're right. That needs to be sorted ASAP. I've lost a few save files over the years and it kills any enthusiasm to ever return to the game.

Actually you're right. That needs to be sorted ASAP. I've lost a few save files over the years and it kills any enthusiasm to ever return to the game.

I think if I lost my progress in Zelda or Mario I wouldn't go back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think if I lost my progress in Zelda or Mario I wouldn't go back to them.

Friend of mine had his switch stolen. 50 hours of Zelda gone. He's since replaced the Switch but he can't bring himself to start Zelda again. Maybe in a year or 2. But definitely not straight away.

I was a little late to the Switch party, only buying one in September. I had been eyeing it up for a long time though. Even if it died a slow death like the Wii U, I would have bought one (huge Nintendo fanboy).

Over the last few years, I've found my gaming time dwindling, everyday life getting in the way (commuting, toddler, new house, etc). When I bought the Switch, it slotted straight into that mess, and I found that it suited my lifestyle perfectly. I'm constantly reminded of one of Ciderman's posts where he said Nintendo provided the device we never knew we needed. I think that's absolutely spot on. I think what I really like about the Switch boils down to two things : versatility and accessibility. I really don't care that it's not a powerhouse - that's never what Nintendo have been about - I just want to have fun playing games. And the Nintendo Switch provides that in abundance.

I think if I could only keep one of my consoles, it would absolutely have to be the Switch. As much as I love my Xbox One X and "appreciate" my PS4, the Switch is the console that I am enjoying the most. I look forward to sharing all that joy with my son (he's already pretty handy at Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

I've had mine since launch day and it has 100% got me back into regular gaming, there now isn't a day I don't go without playing something! BOTW glued me for the first few months as it was pretty much the only thing I wanted to play and boy did it entertain! Not my first Zelda game but it was the first I fully completed. Next up was Mario Kart and although I don't play it that much now you can't beat it for some great multiplayer action! There have been a good few Switch Meetups in Dublin since March of last year and Mario Kart with a gang of people in the pub always turns a few heads!! I bought ARMS and Splatoon 2 on the same day and to this day I can say without doubt Splatoon 2 was worth each and every penny! Having not played the original I knew very little of what to expect but I just can't get enough of it and it's my go to multiplayer game. Of course, Mario Odyssey is another of my favourites and I find myself dipping in and out here and there to get another few of those 999 moons! More recently I'm stuck into Wulverblade and finding it EXTREMELY challenging!! I only defeated the 3rd level boss yesterday after trying like 50 times!! I have Doom on my list to buy at some stage and Skyrim as well. As gamers we are completely spoilt by the amount and quality of games in this first year and I have high hopes for the years ahead!

Happy out Switch owner ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

I posted some negativity about the Switch early on - mainly about the lack of big releases which, on reflection was probably way off the mark. Anyway, I'm happy to say my son is(and probably always was) completely in love with his Switch and it's been a great addition to our house. Personally, I loved playing through Golf Story and just starting to getting into Stardew Valley. Love Rocket League even though I'm sh1te. Currently playing through Mario Odyssey - which my son completed after a few days but still plays and has gotten so much out of it since xmas. We bought The Switch on launch day too and it coincided with a big family milestone so happy memories all round.

Advertisement