Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Spring 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'll take the GFS 0z FI please.
    This is more to my liking. Lets squeeze the last drop out of winter!
    When does spring even begin Ireland?

ECM1-216.GIF?26-12

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭DavidJC

This is more to my liking. Lets squeeze the last drop out of winter!
    When does spring even begin Ireland?
    It began and ended on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The latest runs are too unbearable to look at. Basically, very wet and cold into April. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The latest runs are too unbearable to look at. Basically, very wet and cold into April. :(

Ah jaysus Syran not like we've never had it before! Never took you as one for sensationalizing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Don't suppose there's one of those Cork shields up?
    Heading to West Cork for the Easter break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

No good news on the latest ecm long range forecast for those who crave warmth, it looks like it will stay on the cool side till the third week of April at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Overall unsettled and often wet right out until the 4th of April. No sign of a breakthrough for Spring yet.

the new models say yes:fim-1-192.png?12

Now we just need the other models to back it:pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

the new models say yes:

Now we just need the other models to back it:pac:

And for the watchers who are not as experienced, (like me,) what are they now saying yes to?

It's clear that there's some cooler air coming in from the east (again) what's not clear is if that means just cold, or it it's also going to mean snow, and if there is going to be snow, where, and how much, as those are the sorts of things that are significant over a holiday weekend, where a lot of people will be travelling.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

And for the watchers who are not as experienced, (like me,) what are they now saying yes to?

Most models are showing it as cold and wet over Easter, not cold enough for snow, though. If there was a likelihood of snow Kermit the Frog would have started a thread about it by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

No temperatures over Easter will be 6 or 7c and -1c at night.

Outlook is a bit colder now with this morning's models in to April. Still not any concern in terms of snow at low levels but that could be changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Outlook is a bit colder now with this morning's models in to April. Still not any concern in terms of snow at low levels but that could be changing.

Changing to nice weather or changing to snow ?

Changing to nice weather or changing to snow ?

Snow :p For now, the trend is toward potential snowfall but again still up in the air at the moment.

Yes could be borderline for snow at night.

Dont see any warmth at all in charts.

April will be colder than average too

Last year it was 4c on the last week of April but some warmth came in May so maybe we will get similar

When hills/high ground is mentioned, how high is high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Dónal wrote: »
    When hills/high ground is mentioned, how high is high?

180-200 metres above sea level generally. You can google my height above sea level to find out for your location by dragging a little icon to the spot:)

Here's one site.. https://www.whatismyelevation.com/

Snow level tomorrow would be around 500m above sea level i'd guess. The higher mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What are the chances we get a prolonged period with the jetstream south of us? I'm talking 4/5 months plus. If so would it mean continuing easterlies in general and the chance of a scorching summer? 1995 springs to mind

Jetstream to our south would deliver a summer similar to the ones from 2007-2012.

We need the jetstream well to our north to deliver a nice summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The GFS is picking up on a snow event to occur next Monday/Tuesday - or at least around these days - locations of snow and timings of it are slightly different with the 0z and 06z but both show a snow event to occur before milder air invades from the south. I've marked the margin lines of mild and cool so it's an indication where snow is possible (not certain). I'm certainly no snow expert, these are just my estimates and interpretations.

0z

+120 hrs

802V61X.png

+144 hrs

yoSR0T8.png

06z

+120 hrs

TeednBQ.png

+144 hrs

vRnY6rH.png

UKMO is looking wintry over the weekend and in to the start of next week with wintry showers in the east and north of hail, sleet and snow.

The fronts look kept well south to the middle of next week.

Broadly similar to the GFS posted above but that bit colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Chilly looking UKM at 96hrs!

UW96-21.GIF?28-18

Yeah right

April Fool!

Charts look cold for at least a week yet. Hail and Sleet most favored outcomes. I dont see any snow event coming from this.

5 or 6c by day and 0c by night

Sunday would be quite mixed wintry precipitation but I think showers would increasingly likely be of sleet and snow to sea level by Monday.

UW120-7.GIF?28-19

Met Eireann has Monday as 12 or 13c.

Big Variance across the models

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If it gets any colder on later runs, and if this band comes off, we'd be in a spot of bother disruption wise.

Caveat 1: It's ICON
    Caveat 2: Models are all over the gaff
    Caveat 3: It's 5 days away
    Caveat 4: It's ICON

iconeu_uk1-1-114-0.png?28-23

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

ICON performed pretty well during the BFTE event, but yeah all models are all over the place right now. Cold is pretty nailed at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Maunderevents

U.K. Met BBC show snow over large parts of Ireland trough Monday
    Wanted to post images but can't see any option

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

U.K. Met BBC show snow over large parts of Ireland trough Monday Wanted to post images but can't see any option

Spotted that alright, but they also mentioned large uncertainty in the forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pauldry wrote: »
    Met Eireann has Monday as 12 or 13c.

Big Variance across the models

Now they have it as 3 to 7c with a gute E-NE wind.

What a change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The same band I mentioned a few posts up. Compare the two.

Saw an absolutely enourmous rat in the (suburban) garden yesterday. First time ever, although there has been a plethora of food for the birds including on the ground so maybe not surprising.

iconeu_uk1-1-93-0.png?29-17

Advertisement