Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating shaving equipment

• 03-03-2018 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I initially started following this forum in 2010 and have been following on and off over the years.

Back in 2010, I purchased a beginners DE safety razor bundle (including the Merkur Progress) from Shaving.ie.

I have made a few other purchases from Shaving over the years, including blades, shaving cream etc...

I now wish to update my equipment, for two reasons:

1. My Merkur Progress is quite battered and bruised by this stage 8 years on! (Should have purchased a case).

2. My shaving priorities have changed. I have been sporting a beard now for 3 years, and the sole reason for my safety razor is to shape, and tidy up any stray hairs around my neck line.

My reason for posting is that I am unsure what to go for next. I think I will stick with the Merkur Progress, but does anyone have experience as to which option is better, the ‘normal’ razor or ‘long-handled’ one?

I have been using the Derby blades - but I would be open to other recommendations by users (sensitive skin here!).

Shaving.ie have recommended a shaving oil by Dr K which I will purchase.

Any other advice would be welcome on a beard oil, Merkur Progress stand/holder, after shave lotion to calm down the shaved area?

Of course any other suggestions on what would make the shaving experience even more enjoyable would be great!

Ideally, I would make the purchase from Shaving.ie. I have contacted them with these questions over the past few weeks. I have got one initial response so far but nothing to answer every question here. I am sure there is a good reason for this as I have found them excellent to deal with in the past! (maybe out of office the past week?)

Thanks folks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Get yourself a blade sampler pack and see which works best for you. There are blades I like which you may not so trying out different ones for yourself is definitely the way to go.

Needing to "calm down the shaved area" makes it sound like your using too much pressure possibly? It you're just after something nice to slap on after a shave, my advise is to just go for a scent you like. Anything with menthol in it will give a nice cooling sensation for a short time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Thanks for the reply!

There is a sampler pack currently in my cart on Shaving! I got these originally, but as a novice 8 years ago, I probably wasn’t experienced enough to make the call on which blades were better.

Thank you for comment re cooling. I also have a Proraso after shave cream in the basket!

I will give Shaving.ie a call tomorrow and update here when I purchase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I would also say, don't go to a new razor and new blade at the same time. It might go well or it might go bad and you'll not know which one is the culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Cormac2791 wrote: »
    My reason for posting is that I am unsure what to go for next. I think I will stick with the Merkur Progress, but does anyone have experience as to which option is better, the ‘normal’ razor or ‘long-handled’ one?

I have been using the Derby blades - but I would be open to other recommendations by users (sensitive skin here!).

Shaving.ie have recommended a shaving oil by Dr K which I will purchase.

Any other advice would be welcome on a beard oil, Merkur Progress stand/holder, after shave lotion to calm down the shaved area?

Of course any other suggestions on what would make the shaving experience even more enjoyable would be great!

I've never had an adjustable razor but I've heard most people pick a setting and just stick with that so I wonder how useful they are. As long as you pick a quality razor it's really just a matter of finding the right blade. Good lathering technique helps hugely as well.

Personally I never liked Derby blades and found a sharper blade worked best with my razor. I found Voskhod worked best for my DE89 but when I got a vintage razor with a more aggressive head I switched down to Personnas. I would rate sharpness as: Astra < Personna Blue < 7 O'clock Yellows < Voskhod < Feather

Regarding the handle length it's a personal preference thing. I remember the first time I held a DE89 I thought it was so small but over time I've come to appreciate how small and nimble I am with it. But if you have large hands or find you need better grip maybe a long handle is the way to go.

I've never tried Dr. K. I picked up a few oils from amazon and find it depends on the oils in the blend as to which work best for me.

For a stand I picked up something like this off eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Shaving-Brush-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Holder-Rack-Stand-for-Men-1/132415847316?hash=item1ed4997b94:g:fY4AAOSw1NFaG4uU

For after the shave really there are categories: balms which soothe and splashes that sting. I prefer for former but it depends what you want. Most commercial stuff is pretty good or if you want to treat yourself you get get a DRH aftershave milk.

In this regard you might want to pick up a alum stick. Basically post shave you wet the alum block and rub it over the shaved area. The sting you feel tells you where you need to improve your technique. You then wash it off after 30 seconds and your post-shave is done. Great tool in the beginning. It's the same stuff in the styptic pencil and will soothe, stop bleeding, and tighten.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/omega-alum-stick.html

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I would also say, don't go to a new razor and new blade at the same time. It might go well or it might go bad and you'll not know which one is the culprit.

Thanks! I am sticking with the same razor (Merkur Progress), just updating it as my old one is fairly battered and bruised!

• Advertisement

I've never had an adjustable razor but I've heard most people pick a setting and just stick with that so I wonder how useful they are. As long as you pick a quality razor it's really just a matter of finding the right blade. Good lathering technique helps hugely as well.

Personally I never liked Derby blades and found a sharper blade worked best with my razor. I found Voskhod worked best for my DE89 but when I got a vintage razor with a more aggressive head I switched down to Personnas. I would rate sharpness as: Astra < Personna Blue < 7 O'clock Yellows < Voskhod < Feather

Regarding the handle length it's a personal preference thing. I remember the first time I held a DE89 I thought it was so small but over time I've come to appreciate how small and nimble I am with it. But if you have large hands or find you need better grip maybe a long handle is the way to go.

I've never tried Dr. K. I picked up a few oils from amazon and find it depends on the oils in the blend as to which work best for me.

For a stand I picked up something like this off eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Shaving-Brush-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Holder-Rack-Stand-for-Men-1/132415847316?hash=item1ed4997b94:g:fY4AAOSw1NFaG4uU

For after the shave really there are categories: balms which soothe and splashes that sting. I prefer for former but it depends what you want. Most commercial stuff is pretty good or if you want to treat yourself you get get a DRH aftershave milk.

In this regard you might want to pick up a alum stick. Basically post shave you wet the alum block and rub it over the shaved area. The sting you feel tells you where you need to improve your technique. You then wash it off after 30 seconds and your post-shave is done. Great tool in the beginning. It's the same stuff in the styptic pencil and will soothe, stop bleeding, and tighten.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/omega-alum-stick.html

Thank you for the detailed response!

As I no longer shave the full face, due to having a beard, the razor will be primarily used for stray hairs around the neck line and to shape the beard. In terms of lather, I am going to invest in a shaving oil as opposed to soap, so that I can see where the beard line is.

Your description of blades in terms of sharpness is something I will keep an eye on - very helpful!

I will have a look at that stand. The stand is actually a product that I have found to be quite hard to find, especially for the Merkur Progress, as I’ve been told that it’s one of the more popular razors.

I looked up the Dr Harris aftershave milk - definitely a treat product. One to try out in the future for sure!

Great advice all round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Cormac2791 wrote: »

As I no longer shave the full face, due to having a beard, the razor will be primarily used for stray hairs around the neck line and to shape the beard.

Have you considered an old school straight razor or newer Shavette types ( https://www.shaving.ie/products/dovo-matt-stainless-steel-shavette.html ). They would be the ideal tool for your needs.

The old school type would need maintenance The zen calming routine which some people enjoy. The newer type wouldn't.

Have you considered an old school straight razor or newer Shavette types ( https://www.shaving.ie/products/dovo-matt-stainless-steel-shavette.html ). They would be the ideal tool for your needs.

The old school type would need maintenance The zen calming routine which some people enjoy. The newer type wouldn't.

Thanks for the response!

I have since made my purchase, but now you have me thinking!

At some stage in the future I may well invest in something like what you have suggested above. Have you experience of using one yourself?

Advertisement