Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brussels to Frankfurt on a Folding Bike!

Options
  • 03-03-2018 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

At the start of December I flew into Brussels and headed straight for a Decathlon to pick up a folding bike in the attempt to cycle from Brussels to Frankfurt on it.

Here's the little nipper:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tilt-120-folding-bike-red-id_8378488.html

I cycled around 450kms and it was literally one of the funniest and most enjoyable cycle tours I've been on. I couldn't stop laughing at myself the whole time and judging by everyone else's reaction to me nipping by, they found it very amusing also!! :P

I put a video of my footage together here:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

That was great, thanks for posting. A nice little adventure.......you looked like you had all four seasons to cycle through, but kept on smiling. Well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Enjoyed that! Well jealous!

How much of that did you actually have to on open roads? From the video it looked to be very little and most of it on proper cycling infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

How much of that did you actually have to on open roads? From the video it looked to be very little and most of it on proper cycling infrastructure.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. :)

I cycled a tiny bit on cycle lanes/roads in Brussels. Some of the locals I talked to gave out about them but they were pretty decent and from my experience they were better than the infra in Dublin.

Pretty much everything else was on proper segregated cycling infrastructure... it was absolutely glorious. The routes might take you on a little bit of a detour but it was so enjoyable and scenery was lovely that the extra KMs were irrelevant. It was a bit of a shock to the system coming back to Dublin!!

I'd love go back and cycle along the Rhine again in the summer... Really, really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

What a great trip!
    Bought on of these bikes yesterday (s/h) they look like fun, and handy to throw into the boot of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Fair play to you Rojo, that is totally cool. Looks like some trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Yeah that's class! I'm on the lookout for a folding bike myself for short handy trips so one of these might be the business, especially at the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Yeah that's class! I'm on the lookout for a folding bike myself for short handy trips so one of these might be the business, especially at the price :)
    Note of caution on the decathlon folding bikes though. A couple I know who bought one each had to dump the two of them inside two months.The ones I'm talking about look very like the one in the video anyway, maybe they were a bit different, hard to tell with folding bikes. Anyway the ones in question did fine for a period and then very quickly started falling asunder. They're madly cheap but pretty heavy and the components and assembly are really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Note of caution on the decathlon folding bikes though. A couple I know who bought one each had to dump the two of them inside two months.The ones I'm talking about look very like the one in the video anyway, maybe they were a bit different, hard to tell with folding bikes. Anyway the ones in question did fine for a period and then very quickly started falling asunder. They're madly cheap but pretty heavy and the components and assembly are really bad.

It seems like there's 3 levels of them, £150, £180 & £270 so would be interesting to know which one it was, I'd be less surprised at the £150 being a heap of junk but would expect the £270 to do a reasonable job.

I've bought loads of Decathlon stuff in the past and have seen that effect where you generally get what you pay for, ie their really cheap stuff (in my experience) is crap whereby their more expensive own brand stuff tends to be quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

These were bought on the Continent so maybe a bit different but they were around €150 on sale so probably the cheapest or intermediate level allright. It seemed too good to be true at the start and, as you say, they got what they paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I bought a "Hoptown 320", ( donedeal, in Leitrim) which has a 6 speed derallier.
    The cheapest ones are single speed.
    You cannot adjust the height of the handlebar stem, but otherwise it'll do fine for short hops around town etc.
    Cycling across Germany would never have occurred to me!

Advertisement