Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Clubs, good value?

Options
  • 03-03-2018 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Golf experts help needed!
    Hi,
    I am in need of some new golf clubs, and whilst being a big fan of playing the sport, I am not very knowledge when it comes to what clubs would be worth. I have found what seems to be a good set of second hand (mint condition) clubs but unsure on what I should be paying for them.

The full set includes:
    21 degree Taylor made RBZ Hybrid.
    Nike Tour bag 6 months.
    Nike Method Core putter.
    As New Nike VR Forged Combo 4toPW with DG pro.
    Nike VR 54 degree and 60.
    Ping G20 3 wood.
    Callaway Diablo Octane Black.

If anyone is able to give me an idea of what I should be paying for this set, or even the individual clubs above it would be very much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

benhatton wrote: »
    Golf experts help needed!
    Hi,
    I am in need of some new golf clubs, and whilst being a big fan of playing the sport, I am not very knowledge when it comes to what clubs would be worth. I have found what seems to be a good set of second hand (mint condition) clubs but unsure on what I should be paying for them.

The full set includes:
    21 degree Taylor made RBZ Hybrid.
    Nike Tour bag 6 months.
    Nike Method Core putter.
    As New Nike VR Forged Combo 4toPW with DG pro.
    Nike VR 54 degree and 60.
    Ping G20 3 wood.
    Callaway Diablo Octane Black.

If anyone is able to give me an idea of what I should be paying for this set, or even the individual clubs above it would be very much appreciated!!

Tm hybrid €30-€40
    Bag €100 max
    Irons €150-€200
    Wedges €40 each
    G20 3 wood €100
    Diablo driver €40-€60
    Just be warned the clubs listed (irons/driver) are very much aimed at the lower end of the handicap.
    All Nike clubs are pretty much worthless

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

golfguy1 wrote:
    Tm hybrid €30-€40 Bag €100 max Irons €150-€200 Wedges €40 each G20 3 wood €100 Diablo driver €40-€60 Just be warned the clubs listed (irons/driver) are very much aimed at the lower end of the handicap. All Nike clubs are pretty much worthless

How do you come to the conclusion that Nike clubs are worthless? Just because they don't make them anymore they are still top class clubs

How do you come to the conclusion that Nike clubs are worthless? Just because they don't make them anymore they are still top class clubs

Worthless in terms of trade in value. Obviously if u like them and don't decide to change they are fine.
    Not even close to top class though If they performed as good as other brands maybe they would still be on the market?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Look at www.golfbidder.co.uk. Compare like for like in terms of condition. Take off 20%. Thats what they're worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 benhatton

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Tm hybrid €30-€40
    Bag €100 max
    Irons €150-€200
    Wedges €40 each
    G20 3 wood €100
    Diablo driver €40-€60
    Just be warned the clubs listed (irons/driver) are very much aimed at the lower end of the handicap.
    All Nike clubs are pretty much worthless

Thanks for that, very helpful.
    I thought they were very forgiving irons, so would suit myself (off 12-15ish)?
    I understand what you’re saying about having a depreciated trade in value. I would only be playing twice a month really so I figured they would do me for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Worthless in terms of trade in value. Obviously if u like them and don't decide to change they are fine.
    Not even close to top class though If they performed as good as other brands maybe they would still be on the market?????

I think Tommy Fleetwood would disagree.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I think Tommy Fleetwood would disagree.

How many others stayed with Nike. Rory tiger koepka and lots of others got rid at the first chance they got

How many others stayed with Nike. Rory tiger koepka and lots of others got rid at the first chance they got

Would they have adequate forgiveness for someone off 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Would they have adequate forgiveness for someone off 15?
    They're a mixed club head type, hence the combo name.

3, 4 and 5 iron are a cavity back, the 6 and 7 are a split cavity back, whilst the 8, 9 and wedge are pure blades.

Depends how you hit your irons really, if you struggle with small club heads maybe not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Nike didn't stop making hardware because it was bad.... they stopped cause they where not making the Money they predicted its a very very competitive ibdustry. Both Tiger and Rory did ok with Nike Equipment. for the few players that took it as a chance to try other brand's, There are a few that are hanging tough with the equipment.

If the OP can get the sticks for the 200 Mark... that's a bit of value.

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    They're a mixed club head type, hence the combo name.

3, 4 and 5 iron are a cavity back, the 6 and 7 are a split cavity back, whilst the 8, 9 and wedge are pure blades.

Depends how you hit your irons really, if you struggle with small club heads maybe not for you.

online i see two versions of the "vr forged pro combo irons".
    1, with blades as you stated above....

2, without blades....

(apologies unable to post links but easy to see the two variations on google)

The ones I am looking at are like number 2. Perhaps that means they are are larger club head. I am just concerned I will get clubs that are too difficult to hit and it will put me off playing.

online i see two versions of the "vr forged pro combo irons".
    1, with blades as you stated above....

2, without blades....

(apologies unable to post links but easy to see the two variations on google)

The ones I am looking at are like number 2. Perhaps that means they are are larger club head. I am just concerned I will get clubs that are too difficult to hit and it will put me off playing.

My only advice is to call to a golf shop and get advice and clubs from somebody who knows what would be best for u. Doesn't have to be a particular brand but at least u are getting the correct advice and clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Thanks for that, very helpful.
    I thought they were very forgiving irons, so would suit myself (off 12-15ish)?
    I understand what you’re saying about having a depreciated trade in value. I would only be playing twice a month really so I figured they would do me for a few years.

IMO golfguy’s advice is terrible - I think the clubs will be grand for you as long as the shafts suit and are not something mad like extra stiff. The clubs listed are definitely not aimed for very low handicappers ie G20 driver etc
    Decent quality set for your standard

IMO golfguy’s advice is terrible - I think the clubs will be grand for you as long as the shafts suit and are not something mad like extra stiff. The clubs listed are definitely not aimed for very low handicappers ie G20 driver etc
    Decent quality set for your standard

Thanks bigchap.
    Imo most combo sets are aimed at the lower handicap player. The op seems unsure of what is best. My advice in my last post was to purchase from a store after advice from shop staff. Why risk purchasing without having at least seen the clubs u are going to purchase. Also no mention of shaft specs for any of the clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

would think the conversation about value would all depend on the condition of the heads, shafts and grips really.

They wouldnt be my choice of clubs but thats a personal thing on look and feel so each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

For a very forgiving club 775 cb titleist. Great for mid to high handicappers. Mods please forgive/ admonish me if I tell the OP i have a set 3 to pitching wedge including small bag which i am am going to put on adverts for 160 euro next couple of days but if OP wants them they are his. Im in Bray but can travel within reason.

Advertisement