Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold an Ex Rental Car without knowing

Options
  • 03-03-2018 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

I have posted a similar thread in the Motors forum, but there may be specific aspects of consumer law that you might be able to assist me with.

The original thread is here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106331579

Purchased a one year old car from a main dealer with about 20k on the clock. Asked what it was used for and was told that it was used as a press car and for events.

Just found paperwork in the car for sixt car rental with the car reg on it.

What should I do. What are my rights. I kept the details vague for the moment.

Would I have grounds to return the car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Without reading the other thread, is there something wrong with the car? It could have been used by the rental car company employee, 20k is extremely low for a rental car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

davo10 wrote: »
    Without reading the other thread, is there something wrong with the car? It could have been used by the rental car company employee, 20k is extremely low for a rental car.

I found a document envelope under the seat with the car reg, which would lead me to believe it was rented at about 6K Km

I would think the car was an active car on their rental fleet. Nothing apparently wrong with it at the moment, just when asked the garage was asked its previous use they did not disclose that it was an ex-rental.

I have found links to UK law and just wondering if there is anything in Ireland. I felt that this thread would be able to give me more of an explanation on my rights as a consumer in this matter.

Consumer law says an item must be of merchantable quality and as described. If the car is perfect, no defects etc, I'm struggling to see why you have a problem. Why do you want to bring it back?

At one year old it is still within brand warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's because sometimes problems with cars aren't always apparent early on, and because most people absolutely horse rental cars.

I would have thought the opposite and that people drive rentals with extreme care because of the extortionate fees for damage ect

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it's because sometimes problems with cars aren't always apparent early on, and because most people absolutely horse rental cars.

Ya but private owners are equally likely to horse them over the same period. If this was a 5 year old car with 100k on the clock I could understand the concern, but a 1 yr old with 20k bought from a main dealer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's all perception though. Anybody could drive a car hard. The OP has no case in consumer law.

That would be being careful parking, etc so as not to ding or scrape it as that's the obvious stuff and what they check.

I mean people red-lining them and burning the clutch which can't be checked for and causes excessive internal wear that's not always apparent.

Same as if it was privately owned. After one year the manufacturer warranty still has a long way to go.

• Advertisement

So if service documents were faked, would it be the same thing? Car could probably be fine.

Ah here, th car is a year old and has 20k on clock, it probably isn't due its first service yet.

That would be being careful parking, etc so as not to ding or scrape it as that's the obvious stuff and what they check.

I mean people red-lining them and burning the clutch which can't be checked for and causes excessive internal wear that's not always apparent.

Doubt it to be honest. I've rented cars, family have and never decided to rally them. I think this is just a big myth.

My father always told me to only buy cars from towns and cities as those country folk be pulling big heavey trailers ect.

Another fella would tell you never buy a city car as the clutch would be over used. This is all just bull. I'd prefer to buy a rental off a main dealer at least you know it's been serviced regularly ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No comparison.

Ah here, th car is a year old and has 20k on clock, it probably isn't due its first service yet.

Agreed these cars have a long service interval, due one in 5K probably its first.

Consumer law says an item must be of merchantable quality and as described. If the car is perfect, no defects etc, I'm struggling to see why you have a problem. Why do you want to bring it back?

At one year old it is still under brand warranty.

The issue is that it is not as described. The dealer concealed the fact that it was ex-hire when asked.

An ex-hire car would probably be worth less.

As a matter of interest op, did the main dealer service it before selling it? It will be stamped in the service log book.

As a matter of interest op, did the main dealer service it before selling it? It will be stamped in the service log book.

The car was delivered and the service book was not in it. I have this to follow up on as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That's all perception though. Anybody could drive a car hard. The OP has no case in consumer law.

I agree. I'd rather buy an ex rental than a car owned by a guy under 25. I believe that young male driver will have caused more hard ware on the car

dingding wrote: »
    The issue is that it is not as described. The dealer concealed the fact that it was ex-hire when asked.

An ex-hire car would probably be worth less.

A year old car with only 20k on the clock worthless? Get a grip!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Do sixt have a leading arm? Is it possible it was a one year lease ?

The car was delivered and the service book was not in it. I have this to follow up on as well.

What's the service interval on that model? It probably wouldn't be due yet but you could go back and complain about not being told it was a rental, see if you can wangle a free service the next time. They probably will argue that they can only go on what they were told by the previous owner. 20k is low for a rental and any car is only being "broken in" at that mileage (13k). Enjoy your new car, if it's damage free, it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

The issue I would have with buying an ex rental is not the way customers horse them but the way rental staff absolutely abuse and rally them when the engine is cold and brand new. I worked in the Dublin Airport for 10 years and saw it on a daily basis. One even ended up on its roof at the entrance to T2 short term car park a few years back. They race them from the depot to the terminal with zero mechanical sympathy.

What's the service interval on that model? It probably wouldn't be due yet but you could go back and complain about not being told it was a rental, see if you can wangle a free service the next time. They probably will argue that they can only go on what they were told by the previous owner. 20k is low for a rental and any car is only being "broken in" at that mileage (13k). Enjoy your new car, if it's damage free, it's perfect.

It came with a service pack covering servicing to 100k

daheff wrote: »
    Do sixt have a leading arm? Is it possible it was a one year lease ?

This is why I suspect it was as the dealer described. A friend is an MD of a car rental company and he told me in the past that they lease cars for a year rather than buying them and having depreciating assets on their books. At 20k, I doubt this was a rental used often.

• Advertisement

It came with a service pack covering servicing to 100k

In that case, with the warranty that manufacturers give now, drive on and enjoy it, buying new cars is one of life's joys.

Advertisement