Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around Dublin by car today

Options
  • 03-03-2018 7:04pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm staying at a friend's place in Blackrock and naturally we were snowed in completely the past few days. Weve both got serious cabin fever and given the big thaw today, with many main roads open and a limited public transport service back operating, we were hoping to drive back over to my place on Blackhorse Ave off the Navan Road a bit later.

A couple of questions....

Is this a bit premature? Some neighbours were at the shopping ctr in Blackrock today and said the main roads were clear but side roads were slippy and tricky.

What is the best online site to check up the latest driving conditions around the city?

Anyone know what roads might be like in the D7/Navan Road area? Roads like Blackhorse Ave, Screen Rd, Nephin Road etc.

Any updates or advice would be very welcome. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Usually AA roadwatch but not sure how up to date they are at weekends:
    https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/

There's slush on the sides of main roads, side roads just slush in my part of Dublin, am guessing same all over Dublin ... if you can stick out another night, it'd be safer to wait for daylight tomorrow so you have a better idea of what's lying on the road.
    Maybe there's a local around the corner you can escape to on foot for a few hours.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The roads were ok when I was out the biggest challenge was getting the car out of the driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

The main roads in Dublin 7 are fine but the 37 isn't serving Blackhorse Ave so I imagine it's not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Main roads are fine, estates are still abit rough nearly got stuck on a bend in my estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I went out to visit a friend earlier (travelling locally in Dublin 9) and like everyone else, the main roads were fine with care, but the side roads and estates were treacherous in places. The estates in particular, the snow is often piled to allow only one car to pass at a time, so you're relying on others to be good drivers too and not just plough on regardless.

That said, the difference in the main roads between heading out at 2pm and coming home now at 7pm is unreal, DCC have done a great job on the main roads around me. You can really see that the thaw is on big time too.

If you can last another day, then give it the night and I'd say there'll be big improvements. Otherwise, take your time and remember that other people are idiots at times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Thanks guys. I checked up the AA roadwatch website. The advice in it was spot on. We got back fine. M50 was quiet but totally snow free. Blackhorse Avenue was clear as well. Only issue was the apt complex car park but that got sorted.

Drive safe!

Advertisement