Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society Dromoland Golf Club-March 24th-11:40am

Options
  • 03-03-2018 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi Lads
    Good Evening from a snowy munster,hope ye are all enjoying the snow!! although, the pictures look alot better than the reality of dealing with it :rolleyes:
    We are heading to Dromoland Castle for our 2nd counting outing this year.This beautiful course is a parkland course with a beautiful setting.Another tough course and be warned its a long trek again this time..........
    As a few of the regular top finishers are unable to make this outing its a great opportunity to get some points on the board for golfer of the year.I hope all the new lads are enjoying the year to date and look forward to seeing everyone again in a few weeks.
    The cost of this outing is 40euro to members and 50euro to visitors again as this is a top quality course.
    Any questions give me a shout and I would just like to thank the commitee members for all the help and advice in the background to date.
    Thanks
    PP:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Videos are not working

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Played this last year for the first time & thought it was a super course.

Looking forward to getting back for another round. Hope the weather pick up in the next couple of weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Looking forward to starting my boards season, anyone going for Dub want to share the ride from Dublin? It is a bit too far for me to drive alone tbh

Thanks A post punk, great courses

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

Lads, this is a great course, my favourite parkland. It has a bit of everything,a real risk reward course and great fun to play.
    Regards NP & LD. 7th would be a great hole for NP. LD is a bit of a struggle, the only straight hole I can think of is the 4th. Maybe the 12th or 14th but they're uphill and narrow in a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

raging i'll be missing this one
    enjoy guys

Lads, this is a great course, my favourite parkland. It has a bit of everything,a real risk reward course and great fun to play.
    Regards NP & LD. 7th would be a great hole for NP. LD is a bit of a struggle, the only straight hole I can think of is the 4th. Maybe the 12th or 14th but they're uphill and narrow in a bit.
    Thanks for the pointers doublecross

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

7th for sure would be my pick and 14th for LD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Enjoy folks clashing with work for me so won’t make it

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭newindublin

Have RSVPed on Teamer, I am in for this one. Looking forward to playing this course!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I might have a few visitors coming if there’s room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Surprisingly looks like I will be in between work trips so should be able to make this too!! I need to seriously improve my golf however if I am going to do anything in Dromoland - just not going to get away with my banana hook down there!

Just curious but with all the ****ty weather of late and more forecast how is Dromoland holding up ahead of the outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Macker1 wrote: »
    Just curious but with all the ****ty weather of late and more forecast how is Dromoland holding up ahead of the outing.

Playing here twice a week having joined this year, course is not great at the moment. This is from the members weekly email last Friday,
    On The Course, with Paul Coleman, Course Superintendent:
    One week on from the “big snow” and we still have no visible improvement in temperatures or growth.
    It was rather novel using a modified loading shovel to plough snow from the driveways and car parks but by the time we had shifted around twenty tractor trailer loads of snow, it’s fair to say we were pretty sick of it!
    Having cored the greens, they now require some decent growing conditions to recover well but this is definitely in our sights with temperatures set to rise from tomorrow albeit with the accompaniment of rain.
    We also need to address the tees by means of sand top dressing and solid tining while the fairways, approaches and surrounds need to receive more sand also.
    We have also completed a minor drainage project at the back of the first green to deal with surface water that has become an issue of late, causing the green surround to become quite wet.
    Next week we hope to carry on with the said remedial works on tees and fairways with the likelihood of being able to do some overseeding also as temperatures begin to rise.
    Also, bunkers are out of play and no word yet when they're back. Back nine greens should be good when you guys come down, very soft off the fairways, balls plugging, so keep it on the short stuff.
    No yellow tees set up, so ye will be playing off whites, and it's bloody long.:eek:
    Hope ye enjoy it, it's a fantastic course.

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Macker1 wrote: »

Playing here twice a week having joined this year, course is not great at the moment. This is from the members weekly email last Friday,
    One week on from the “big snow” and we still have no visible improvement in temperatures or growth.
    It was rather novel using a modified loading shovel to plough snow from the driveways and car parks but by the time we had shifted around twenty tractor trailer loads of snow, it’s fair to say we were pretty sick of it!
    Having cored the greens, they now require some decent growing conditions to recover well but this is definitely in our sights with temperatures set to rise from tomorrow albeit with the accompaniment of rain.
    We also need to address the tees by means of sand top dressing and solid tining while the fairways, approaches and surrounds need to receive more sand also.
    We have also completed a minor drainage project at the back of the first green to deal with surface water that has become an issue of late, causing the green surround to become quite wet.
    Next week we hope to carry on with the said remedial works on tees and fairways with the likelihood of being able to do some overseeding also as temperatures begin to rise.
    Also, bunkers are out of play and no word yet when they're back. Back nine greens should be good when you guys come down, very soft off the fairways, balls plugging, so keep it on the short stuff.
    No yellow tees set up, so ye will be playing off whites, and it's bloody long.:eek:
    Hope ye enjoy it, it's a fantastic course.
    Sounds like a long slog so hopefully the weather is kind to us next week........

I feckin hate playing a highly regarded course for the first time when its no doubt below par due to the extremely poor weather. Its a bad year so far so hopefully we get a bit of luck over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 timgolfer

jarrieta wrote: »
    Looking forward to starting my boards season, anyone going for Dub want to share the ride from Dublin? It is a bit too far for me to drive alone tbh

Thanks A post punk, great courses

I was thinking the same thing!!!! Im based in Lucan and would definitely like to play in the comp! My name’s down for sharing a lift.

Lads if any of ye are bringing visitors could you post it here so I can make up the time sheet for Saturday. We have 18 accepted on teamer.

Quick course update, Just back from playing here today, what a difference a week makes. Back 9 greens are practically there and front 9s are very playable. Bunkers are back in play, and from the few I visited, in good shape. Fairways are sandy in places, as are most tees, but conditions have improved drastically.
    From last fridays email...
    A couple of good dry days at the beginning of the week allowed us to complete the fairway topdressing, with 600 tons of sand now applied.
    Yesterday we began solid tining, topdressing and overseeding tees, completing holes 11,12,17 and 18.
    Hopefully we will get the conditions to complete them next week.
    Also we have sand to go on green surrounds and the golf academy fairway.
    We will tackle the golf academy next Tuesday and going well have it finished by 16.00 on Thursday.
    The greens are still slowly recovering from the hollow coring process and with current soil temperatures sitting at a measly 6 degrees they will take another fortnight at least to be fully recovered.
    Unfortunately that is the down side of getting this process out of the way in February as opposed to April when 10 days would allow for adequate recovery.
    Soil temperatures are key in this process and need to be consistently above 12 degrees to induce sufficient growth in order to fill over the holes left after hollow coring.
    However, the other side of the argument is that there is very little play over these few weeks and there is guaranteed to be an undisrupted surface between Easter and Hallowe’en!
    St. Patrick’s weekend looks set to be a cold one with frost due to upset the early morning tee times yet most eyes will be on the rugby and the tantalising Grand Slam game at Twickenham, enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Quick course update, Just back from playing here today, what a difference a week makes. Back 9 greens are practically there and front 9s are very playable. Bunkers are back in play, and from the few I visited, in good shape. Fairways are sandy in places, as are most tees, but conditions have improved drastically.
    From last fridays email...

Cheers acalmenvoy.

Can I just check what level of warm up facilities are available? I know there is a putting green by the 1st tee, but is there a chipping area or range?

• Advertisement

Cheers acalmenvoy.

Can I just check what level of warm up facilities are available? I know there is a putting green by the 1st tee, but is there a chipping area or range?

Range, chipping green and second putting green (the academy) located behind the castle, 2min drive or 10min walk from clubhouse, big car park next to the tennis courts beside the academy.
    Range cards can be purchased from clubhouse reception. 5 euro for 50.
    The academy is members only, but I have never had to show member details when I've used it, but changes are in the pipeline...
    Golf Academy:
    The software is installed and all systems are nearly ready to go for the new fob system for the Academy.
    From next Wednesday we will be encouraging all members to call to the golf club to exchange their range cards for the new Fob.
    April 9th is the deadline date for the system to go fully live.
    The gate will be permanently closed from this date onwards.
    Please read the attached documents for further information.

So, I dont know if range cards will be available after wednesday.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

timgolfer wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing!!!! Im based in Lucan and would definitely like to play in the comp! My name’s down for sharing a lift.

Sorry, I won't be able to make it as other urgent matters have arisen, enjoy the day out there!

The Midwest Alliance is on in Dromoland this Sunday so the course should be in good shape for us on Saturday, hopefully. Could be a few tricky pin positions!!

Time
    Player 1-Player 2-Player 3-Player 4
    11:40--Charlie IRL- Charlies guest-Bally k-Spacecoyote
    11:50--break 80- benny 79-macker1-Doublecross
    12:00--Brian rossiter-the champ26-Martin Kop-New in dublin
    12:10--SS bob-Tigerwood1-TimGolfer-davo19
    12:20--kiers47-a post punk-dave gilly-woody g

Tee off times here lads,hope this suits everyone.Talking to the course manager today,the greens are good and the course is dried out a good bit.I have been told its all fourballs ahead of us and the course is long, so it will be a longer round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Anyone staying down?

woodyg wrote: »
    Anyone staying down?
    The boom is back

The boom is back

😂
    I was more on about in Limerick B&B
    Not at the castle 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Any course update lads? Much rain in the area? Nice day in Cork today so looking forward to golf where I am not freezing!!!

yea weather looks good. 11-12c with a small breeze and no rain!
    has anyone found a decent course guide? there official one doesn't work.
    from reading some reviews it's a bit of a beast with a hard start and watery finish

• Advertisement

Looking forward to tomorrow, weather looks good. It's a definite help to have some course knowledge in your group, important to know what line to take on a lot of holes.
    @PostPunk any idea what tees we're off tomorrow?

Advertisement