Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society Dromoland Golf Club-March 24th-11:40am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

See ye tomorrow looking forward to it.
    The usual fiver with tiger and double or quits with Rossiter I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Break80 wrote: »
    The usual fiver with tiger

I'd write that fiver off :pac:

Enjoy lads, sad to be missing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Oh he lost last time out! and wasn't to happy about it.. Id say he's out for blood in this one..

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Played it once couple of years back, can be tricky picking a line off the tee. Last 3 holes are absolute ball-busters, think I scratched all 3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

yea from reading the 16th-18th stretch is meant to be a proper be-atch and will ruin a good round very quick.

what time you want us onsite for @PostPunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

woodyg wrote: »
    yea weather looks good. 11-12c with a small breeze and no rain!
    has anyone found a decent course guide? there official one doesn't work.
    from reading some reviews it's a bit of a beast with a hard start and watery finish

This appears to be working fine on the site:

http://dromolandgolf.com/hole-by-hole-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭newindublin

The videos not working kind of takes away from the hole by hole.

Referencing the scorecard map helps though:
    http://dromolandgolf.com/our-course/course-scorecard/

so the 9th is there version of the Belfry signature hole.
    yea i won't be taking a shot at that in 1!
    275yrd carry :rolleyes:

should be good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sorry to be missing this one lads, enjoy tomorrow. 30+ degrees here and not a snowflake in sight....well we might hit the ski slope in the shopping center tomorrow :)

Hope to see some new winners collect prizes tomorrow and with a few big names missing, should make the race to the jug interesting

Don’t forget to post up the results

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

yea from reading the 16th-18th stretch is meant to be a proper be-atch and will ruin a good round very quick.

what time you want us onsite for @PostPunk

Really tough holes especially if the wind is blowing.

18 is a hole i find that you have to have played it a couple of times to get your head around the strategy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

Looking forward to tomorrow, weather looks good. It's a definite help to have some course knowledge in your group, important to know what line to take on a lot of holes.
    @PostPunk any idea what tees we're off tomorrow?
    Not sure on tees until the morning but nearest the pin on 7 and longest drive on 12. Looking forward to this myself, last time I played I could only drive the ball 170 ish yards and the 10 th hole (I think ) carrying across the water was very daunting:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Not sure on tees until the morning but nearest the pin on 7 and longest drive on 12. Looking forward to this myself, last time I played I could only drive the ball 170 ish yards and the 10 th hole (I think ) carrying across the water was very daunting:(:(

Yeah. That would be 11. Do not go for the marker unless you carry 190. The further right of the marker you go the longer the carry. 12 might be to short for LD. Big hitters will come close to narrow area near the green. 4 or 14 would be ideal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

With a few mentioning it being a long course / round we need to be playing off the lost forward tees they will let us out on.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    With a few mentioning it being a long course / round we need to be playing off the lost forward tees they will let us out on.

6053 yards off the yellow
    6294 yards off the white

According to the scorecard

acalmenvoy wrote: »

Yeah. That would be 11. Do not go for the marker unless you carry 190. The further right of the marker you go the longer the carry. 12 might be to short for LD. Big hitters will come close to narrow area near the green. 4 or 14 would be ideal.
    I suggested 14 to the course manager during the week but they were advising 12 to suit everyone so I went with his advice as I wasn’t really familiar with the course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

6053 yards off the yellow
    6294 yards off the white

According to the scorecard

Or the black?!!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Or the black?!!!

Never even looked that closely at it. Thought that was just a blacked out line on the card

[QUOTE=a post punk; Looking forward to this myself, last time I played I could only drive the ball 170 ish yards ([/QUOTE]

That not everyone from the rebel county! Pussies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

enjoy lads gutted I can't make it and only 30 mins away. safe travels.

Sun is shining lads ....... the weather is playing right into tigers hands he loves the sun on his back :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

Just home now from dromoland. I had a great laugh with the lads all day.
    Congrats to Benny with a fabulous 37 points. Some great escapes on the back 9. it was like seve reincarnated at times the up and downs he was pulling off.
    Still giggling at Mackers mini meltdown.:D:D:D
    Thanks Lads I had a great day even though my golf wasn,t up to much.

1st Benny79-37 points
    2nd Timgolfer-34points
    3rd Ballyk-32 points
    Nearest the pin-Spacecoyote
    Longest drive -Conor
    3 lads had 2’s on the day.
    Not a great day at the office myself , I had 6 points on the front 9 ,scratching7,8and 9. A bit of a come back on the back 9 with 14 points. I thought the course was in good condition after all the bad weather, the greens will be great in a few weeks when the hollow tining gets covered over. There are some great holes through the course really enjoyable if the golf is good :):)
    Thanks for the big turnout today lads , nice to see good numbers down South!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Lads, I posted the updated GOTY on the main boards society thread - just to let you know that I found 4 errors on the scorecards when reviewing last night.... if you are not sure have someone else look at it, will help us avoid any potential arguments later in the year.

As for yesterday, even though yardage wise, it's a shortish course, it plays difficult and a good test of golf - the greens on the front 9 were a disaster but improved on the back 9 - although my score did the opposite:D

Thanks to Tim, Tiger and Dave for some great fun - should be a great year out there!

Well Finally got my first win in Boards! and to be honest it came out of nowhere as I started the day travelling 21/2 hours to the course when I then found out it should of only took me an hour 15! bloody stupid sat navs! geography obviously isn't my strongest :D

So out of the car rushing up onto the first tee. Started poorly a 6 (1 pointer) then ended up having 3 scratches, a couple of pars,a couple of 1 pointers on the front 9 taught to myself my chance is well and truly gone and was just trying to engage my swing, haven't not hit a ball in 2 weeks.. The amount of 3 putts I had was criminal whats worse is its normally the strongest part of my game!

So onto the back 9. The pars were starting to fly in and have to say I was just enjoying the round and the craic with Doublecross, Macker and the good Langer Break80, 3 seriously good golfers. I actually found the course quite interesting haven't not liked the opening hole's. There was a good mix of pars 4 that were drivable and some you nearly needed to tee it up again for a second time! and some lovely par 3's. Though the ground was soft this is a course I'd love to play again in the summer.

So as we finished I threw my clubs in the car and was walking around to the club house. When I seen Macker and Break80 standing there with big grin's and say to me what score do you think you have? 28, 29 I hadn't a clue I gave up even thinking about it after the first couple of holes was shocked to hear 37 pts, 13 on the front 9 and 24 on the back! Plus set a personal record of 9 pars in a round, previous was 7 and hit one of my goals for the year by winning a boardise outing :D and its not even April yet!

Cheers to Post punk and all the Langers in the back round another top outing and feel free to slash me as I'm not Tiger :D So onto the Rebel county for the next 2 outings now a win there really would be sweet!

A long day, but a great day out again with Boards.

Playing with two former captains & a new member Conor (a Cat 1 golfer) so I was in good company.

I really like Dromoland, its a cracking course. Was a pity about the condition, but the weather has played a major part in it. The greens were very poor, and I putted terribly which didn't help.

Had 30 points on the day, which was enough for 4th place & picked up a share of the 2s as well as the NTP prize (which I followed with a 3-putt :( I'll blame the bad green for it)

Highlight of the day was the short par 3 13th where 3 of us had 2s. Charlie had a bit of bad luck with 3 lads walking across to go fishing as he stepped up to hit, which got in his head & put him off.

I played OK, had 2 birdies, but book-ended the front 9 with scratches, which cost me a potential top 3. I was very poor from inside 100 yards all day. Generally the holes I scored well on were the ones where I left myself a full iron in on the approach.

Charlie started pretty solidly & had a good front 9, but recovery from illness has hit his stamina, so he was running out of steam towards the end. As Conor said, if he'd more confidence in his swing he could put together a great round of golf.

Ballyk was, as always, rock solid, hit some cracking hybrid/fairway woods, and actually putted really well given the condition of the greens.

Conor was a pleasure to play with & a great new addition to the society. He's a serious golfer with massive amounts of easy power & great touch around the greens. I hit my best drive of the day on the LD hole, and he was comfortably 15 yards past me. Any longer & he'd have run out of fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Here is the picture of the par 3 hole that spacecoyote was referring to. The ball nearest the hole was spacecoyote's. It looked like it was going to be a hole in one all the way as it flew directly over the flagstick but ended up a few feet away. :eek:

My ball was the one on the left and I rolled it in for a 2 and my only birdie of the day. Conor followed me in followed by spacecoyote. Don't think I've ever seen three 2s in one hole in a Boards event before! :)

ballyk wrote: »
    Here is the picture of the par 3 hole that spacecoyote was referring to. The ball nearest the hole was spacecoyote's. It looked like it was going to be a hole in one all the way as it flew directly over the flagstick but ended up a few feet away. :eek:

My ball was the one on the left and I rolled it in for a 2 and my only birdie of the day. Conor followed me in followed by spacecoyote. Don't think I've ever seen three 2s in one hole in a Boards event before! :)

Players :D

Good day out again and good fun with PostPunk kiers47 and dave gilly.
    i had an awful start. shanked the drive into the tree's on 1st and then did the same on the 2nd into tree's on the 2nd.
    it's a very good course and well worth the drive down.
    the Sunday pins made it a heck of a challenge.
    was happy with a couple of pars on the par 4's and gave the driveble par 4 down hill a good shot.
    putting was a challenge inside 6 feet as kiers47 will testify to as well.
    all 4 of us had some mad bobble put's but sure it was good to be out in the sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Players :D

Good day out again and good fun with PostPunk kiers47 and dave gilly.
    i had an awful start. shanked the drive into the tree's on 1st and then did the same on the 2nd into tree's on the 2nd.
    it's a very good course and well worth the drive down.
    the Sunday pins made it a heck of a challenge.
    was happy with a couple of pars on the par 4's and gave the driveble par 4 down hill a good shot.
    putting was a challenge inside 6 feet as kiers47 will testify to as well.
    all 4 of us had some mad bobble put's but sure it was good to be out in the sun

Yes thats for sure . Still ruing that putt on the last to break 30 It was no more than 2 foot after hitting a lovely little chip and run from the front of the green. :confused:

But it was a great day to be out.
    I didnt have any very memorable moments. Drove the ball great apart from a couple where i tried to smash it. haha. But after the drives it was much of a much.

The company was good at least. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

I was out with Brian rossiter-the champ26-&-New in dublin. Its great looking course, but we all struggled on the greens for the most part, but that's golf at this time of year, at least the sun was shining.
    I really struggled with short game, especially on the very sanded areas around the greens. Too many duffed/bladed chips to count. Very mixed round, 6 pts out (scratched 4 of the first 5 holes :( )and 18 pts home(still 2 scratches in there:o) to finish with 24. Nice bird on the short par 4 10th was my only highlight of the day.

But the long evenings are here now, so plenty of practice time on the grass!!!!

• Advertisement

kiers47 wrote: »
    Yes thats for sure . Still ruing that putt on the last to break 30 It was no more than 2 foot after hitting a lovely little chip and run from the front of the green. :confused:

But it was a great day to be out.
    I didnt have any very memorable moments. Drove the ball great apart from a couple where i tried to smash it. haha. But after the drives it was much of a much.

The company was good at least. :D

Honestly thought you had hit the long drive till we walked over that crest.
    It's a course I'd like to revisit end of May as the greens will be in tip top shape by then and now that I know there's such a thing as an environmental out of bounds hazard ðŸ˜

Advertisement