Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine Sutton hotel

Options
  • 03-03-2018 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Can anyone give me any info on this place? Looks nice from the outside and has a cracking view but the decor and layout is pretty awful.

This place has huge potential and the staff are lovely but the owners either dont care, have no money or are clueless. Would love to see someone come in and do it up. I don’t think
    They would have to do much.

That part of Dublin is crying out for a decent hotel. It could do well with holiday makers and be a place to have weddings. Now all it seems right for is the OAPs eating scones. With that view it could be a spa destination also

A real shame and wasted opportunity I think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Makes a fortune doing focus groups for market research companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It is already one of the most popular hotels for weddings on the North side of Dublin. Got married there myself over 25 years ago. It is the only surviving Hotel in the area. There were 6 hotels in the Howth /Sutton area 20 years ago.

It's busy doing what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Yes it could do with modernisation, but its prime asset is its superb location.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It is already one of the most popular hotels for weddings on the North side of Dublin. Got married there myself over 25 years ago. It is the only surviving Hotel in the area. There were 6 hotels in the Howth /Sutton area 20 years ago.

It's busy doing what it does.

My point is that I’m sure 25 years ago it was great. But now it just seems dead any time I have been in there. So much potential but it just seems like a 2 star hotel. Maybe 3. With that location it should be four star minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

subpar wrote: »
    Yes it could do with modernisation, but its prime asset is its superb location.

But is it using it to its potential. I don’t think it is. It’s still in business though so what do I know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I always associate it with pots of tea after a funeral.

Was in it 2 year ago and thought it was a bit shabbier than I was expecting.

One thing that did strike me was that they really weren't optimising the public bar. It had a serious bang of golf club austerity about it. Must be the only bar at Sutton X for a couple of kilometres. The Elphin the nearest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

humberklog wrote: »
    I always associate it with pots of tea after a funeral.

Was in it 2 year ago and thought it was a bit shabbier than I was expecting.

One thing that did strike me was that they really weren't optimising the public bar. It had a serious bang of golf club austerity about it. Must be the only bar at Sutton X for a couple of kilometres. The Elphin the nearest?

Lots in howth of course.

You’re right, it doesn’t seem to attract too many locals. I find Sutton a fairly dull spot, although I suppose if you live in a large house with views of the bay you can make your own amusements.

I agree it is dated, but can’t fault the staff. Never had a room there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Elphin at 1.1km is the nearest yes. Big gap for anywhere that is or was in Dublin City areas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It certainly has the air of a place that's ticking over and 'if it's not broke...' about it.

Dropped in there for lunch a couple of years ago. There was some sort of retirement conference on, so the place was packed. The food was kind of 'meh' though. Compared to, say, the Elphin a few hundred yards up the road, where they have clearly made an effort with the food and seem to be doing very well out of it.

I don't know why, views or not, tourists would choose to stay there. It's kind of out of the way (unless of course, that's what you wanted). It could be a hopping place with good food and a good bar.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah found the staff to be great. Really stand out. And as for a wedding I'd say it could be very good.
    But agree with other poster I find Sutton a bit dull. Mind you if I won the lotto my first place of preference to live anywhere in Dublin would be a house on The Burrows. But that's a handy walk on the beach to Howth...where pubs dwell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Let's leave one hotel on the northside with some old school charm... sure they could spend a fortune doing it up like Portmarnock Golf has done... but then there'll be another euro on every drink to pay for it and a fiver on the food menu, another few grand on the cost of a wedding etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Lots in howth of course.

You’re right, it doesn’t seem to attract too many locals. I find Sutton a fairly dull spot, although I suppose if you live in a large house with views of the bay you can make your own amusements.

I agree it is dated, but can’t fault the staff. Never had a room there.

Sutton is the only district in Dublin that does not have a Pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Marine is associated with Weddings, Funerals for me mostly.

The family, my folks generation that is are all from Raheny so often if people are home from abroad they might go to the Marine as a change from the locals just to be a bit different. Maybe its more nostalgia since the bar was much more popular with locals years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

humberklog wrote: »
    But agree with other poster I find Sutton a bit dull. Mind you if I won the lotto my first place of preference to live anywhere in Dublin would be a house on The Burrows. But that's a handy walk on the beach to Howth...where pubs dwell.

most people in sutton go out to howth or up to summit. the peninsula is like 1 big village anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

It's a funeral afters spot imo. Hasn't had a lick of paint in years. Bar is awfully dated and dull and full of coffin dodgers. And food is very meh.. Can't say the staff are standout like others are saying. I would expect good service anywhere I go? Loved messing out on grass as a kid though! :)
    Good place for a toilet if you run or cycle ;)

Advertisement