Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school closures

Options
  • 03-03-2018 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

our kids primary school closed last wednesday which i found to be a ridiculous decision as there was not much snow at all that day.

want to talk to the board of management about their fondness of closing at the smallest bit of snow wind.

didnt anyone else with kids in primary school in cork city close on the wednesday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,589 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

nino1 wrote: »
    our kids primary school closed last wednesday which i found to be a ridiculous decision as there was not much snow at all that day.

want to talk to the board of management about their fondness of closing at the smallest bit of snow wind.

didnt anyone else with kids in primary school in cork city close on the wednesday?

Where do the staff live?
    It's possible they weren't able to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

There was snow on the Wednesday. What is your particular gripe with the closure? Expand.

In this day and age you have to be safe rather than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

My kids school closed last Wednesday also...and rightfully so. There was plenty of snow that morning and we could not get out of our estate because of hills. School area was also very snowy and IMHO they took the correct decision. I'm sure we could have walked them there if necessary but getting teachers there would have been an issue I imagine. I'm certainly not going to complain to the BOM about it. I also don't think they take these decisions lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

We closed on Wednesday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

i can see why the decision was made but i just think that there should only be closed when there is an excessive amount of snow and ice like thursday and friday.
    it was the first day of snow and not an excessive amount. i drive all over cork on wednesday with no problems.
    we are moving towards schools automatically closing at the first sign of any snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Better safe than sorry. A kid slips on ice in the school grounds and the school would find themselves on the end of a nice solicitor's letter. Our school closed on Wednesday and the principal was snowed in to her house. So there was quite a bit of snow Wednesday, maybe just not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

i can see why the decision was made but i just think that there should only be closed when there is an excessive amount of snow and ice like thursday and friday.
    it was the first day of snow and not an excessive amount. i drive all over cork on wednesday with no problems.
    we are moving towards schools automatically closing at the first sign of any snow.

What happens when the schools are full but then it starts to snow badly and the kids can't be collected? That could end up with students as young as 5 stranded with an adult to child ratio of upto 25-1? Complain to the BOM for not taking the necessary precautions and closing?

So you were one of the fellas slipping and sliding around the roads on Wednesday? It felt very unnerving walking and seeing a car fly around a corner afraid it would slip off the road. Lost count of how many people I saw stuck Wednesday and there was not many cars on the road, which is an indication of how safe it was.

I'm guessing there was an AWFUL lot less traffic on the road on wednesday due schools being off and people not being able to get to work from various areas. This helped you a lot no doubt get around without problem. But sure as long as you are OK and have your child minded in school, then all is well with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

I suppose you'd be talking to the BOM too, if you or your child slipped or got hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Don't be ridiculous. I had school on Wednesday when I really shouldn't have. At around 8am there was a very heavy snow shower which lasted for the bones of half an hour, and then there were multiple other ones after that. which totally covered the roads AND the cars, its was so dangerous to drive. I missed the first class over it, and at that we couldn't even drive up the hill to my school as it was slippy, so I had to walk up. There was 37/130 people in from my year that day because people couldn't get in, while other schools around us were closed. A little snow and ice on Wednesday? Yeah no, Wednesday Morning was bad. It thawed at around 1ish before it snowed again and then the roads were covered, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I dont live that far from douglas and there was enough snow fall on Wednesday where I live that no cars around could budge, only 4x4 would have gotten back up the hills and that was risky.
    Just because it's not that heavy where you live doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

My school in Cork was closed Wednesday. It would have been a waste to be in with only half the staff, would have been just babysitting for most of the time. One primary school near us opened, my friend had a very near miss dropping her kids there, and then the school rang after an hour saying to collect asap as the weather was only going to get worse so she had to drive down the dodgy hill again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Schools were also closed here Wed, Thurs, Fri. I understand it too, as I went to work Wednesday morning as normal, and had to turn back. There was a truck jack-knifed on the road in front of me, with a 5 car pile-up into it. 

What was slightly more bothersome, is that the text-to-parent system that the schools use, just keeled over and died that day. Complete comms failure. We sent the kids to school as normal, as we are walking distance. There was one teacher there sending them home again. An hour later we got a text saying the school was OPENed until further notice ( we learned later this apparently had been sent at 10pm the previous night.) Arrived at 9:30am Wednesday. We walked the kids back down to school, to be sent home AGAIN.  Then a text came in at 4pm later that day, saying it was closed, but hold for further notice for Thursday / Friday.

pwurple wrote: »

What was slightly more bothersome, is that the text-to-parent system that the schools use, just keeled over and died that day. Complete comms failure.

This didn't happen with all schools. I got notified fine by both email and text early on Wednesday morning of the closure. They don't all use the same system AFAIK but it is up to each school to implement their own comms policy.

pwurple wrote: »
    Schools were also closed here Wed, Thurs, Fri. I understand it too, as I went to work Wednesday morning as normal, and had to turn back. There was a truck jack-knifed on the road in front of me, with a 5 car pile-up into it. 

What was slightly more bothersome, is that the text-to-parent system that the schools use, just keeled over and died that day. Complete comms failure. We sent the kids to school as normal, as we are walking distance. There was one teacher there sending them home again. An hour later we got a text saying the school was OPENed until further notice ( we learned later this apparently had been sent at 10pm the previous night.) Arrived at 9:30am Wednesday. We walked the kids back down to school, to be sent home AGAIN.  Then a text came in at 4pm later that day, saying it was closed, but hold for further notice for Thursday / Friday.

Ouch ha ha, a rough day for whoever is in charge there

Advertisement