Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get 18650 cells

Options
  • 04-03-2018 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Anybody know where I can get lots, and i mean lots of used 18650's?
    Admittedly, I'm not into e-cigs but i figure you guys know a fair amount about where to get them.
    Would asking recycling centers for old laptop batteries be a good place to start?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are they in laptop batteries?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TTG TriCkSh0tZz

Yep, most of them anyway. The slim laptops of late have li-po's instead of the 18650 li-ion's but any laptop with a removable chunky battery pack has around 5-6 of them

Yep, most of them anyway. The slim laptops of late have li-po's instead of the 18650 li-ion's but any laptop with a removable chunky battery pack has around 5-6 of them

Would that mean that you could refresh an old laptop battery by replacing the 18650s? Can the pack be opened and resealed?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TTG TriCkSh0tZz

Only if very carefully taken apart, the packs are difficult to get into without breaking the plastic. Also, if its just the cells inside that are worn out then they can be replaced by soldering new ones in but if its the Battery Management System (the little circuit board inside) that is damaged then new cells wont help. Some say that these BMS's have a built in timer that shuts the pack down slowly after time so if its reached that time then, again, new cells wont help.
    Im sensing a project in the works? ;)

No, just intrigued to learn they are in laptop batteries! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

When I buy 18650's it's usually to bring up the value of an order to tip it into the free delivery bracket ....if I am in need of batteries at the time .

TheBestShop is usually my first port of call .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Not sure where you would get used ones, but nkon.nl is probably the cheapest for bulk, and sells various types, inluding those not suitable for vaping etc.

Advertisement