Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

November 2018 Babies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Ahh hello baba! Such a relief Betsie, delighted for you. We did the exact same on Friday Betsie, scan and then a very very very rare breakfast out just the two of us, it was lovely.

My eldest girl has commandeered the scan pics, last seen under her pillow somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

We told our girls last night and they were delighted seeing the pictures today then my Rachel hopes it's a girl and ruby wants a boy and Andrew is totally oblivious :)

It's such a relief to know all is ok I was so happy we are the same digs never on our own so that few minutes with a cuppa and a chat was perfect way to finish off the morning xx

Your names are lovely Betsie! We have a boy name this time no trouble but I genuinely think if we have to name another girl it will kill us! We’ve used our best two and we seem to like very few names!!

We have no idea of girls names either we have one or two boys names in mind alright

It's such a big decision

Betsie what do you do for your sciatica?? I had a break for a few days but it’s back worse then ever. I couldn’t walk yesterday by evening time and when I wasn’t walking my leg was just aching and also kind of numb below the knee. The physio had given me a tennis ball type thing to roll on it but it’s not helping much!!

I had been told my left side is out of alignment hence the reason I’m more susceptible to SPD but throwing this pain in on top is convincing me 3 kids is more then enough! I’m broken!!

Sorry for the whinge!!

• Advertisement

Digs wrote: »
    Betsie what do you do for your sciatica?? I had a break for a few days but it’s back worse then ever. I couldn’t walk yesterday by evening time and when I wasn’t walking my leg was just aching and also kind of numb below the knee. The physio had given me a tennis ball type thing to roll on it but it’s not helping much!!

I had been told my left side is out of alignment hence the reason I’m more susceptible to SPD but throwing this pain in on top is convincing me 3 kids is more then enough! I’m broken!!

Sorry for the whinge!!

I sit or lie with the tennis ball at my back and I go for reflexology that can loosen any knots in the nerve and give some relief I go every 3-4 weeks for it, it's so relaxing x

Interesting Betsie, will check out reflexology thank you! I had been lying on my couch which I think is making it worse because it’s too soft? I feel like I need to lie on the floor or something hard.

I am a lesson in never saying things are going great. It’s a sure fire way of jinxing yourself :D

Interesting Betsie, will check out reflexology thank you! I had been lying on my couch which I think is making it worse because it’s too soft? I feel like I need to lie on the floor or something hard.

I am a lesson in never saying things are going great. It’s a sure fire way of jinxing yourself :D

It's worth checking out anyway it's a hour to yourself where you can close your eyes and relax too no one looking for you or annoying you X

It's like if you say in work day isn't going too bad it's quite enough sure enough an emergency will come in the door

Now the hour to myself I can 100% get on board with :D

Now the hour to myself I can 100% get on board with :D

Totally it's amazing 😂😂😂 I always do a late evening appointment so when I get home hubby has kids in bed so all I do after it is get into PJs a Nd fall asleep on the couch j mean watch TV :):):)

• Advertisement

That is smart thinking Betsie!! I’m going to the cinema tonight and the major icing on the cake is missing bedtime!!

Enjoy Mrs I'm going further it dinner with a friend tomorrow night for her birthday Ill be out the door as soon as hubby comes home the joys of it

Betsie I think this thread has died a death!!

Had a midwife apt today. Got the whooping cough vaccine, not my smartest move given my husband is away if how my arm ended up last time round is anything to go by.

She was also feeling my bump and said this is most certainly a big baby, no surprise given the size of me at the moment and the size of my other two at birth. They were both 23 inches so I think we just breed giraffes!

I'm due to get the vaccine next Tuesday kinda dreading it really don't know why X

I have my GTT next Thursday then so a week of needles :D:D:D

how are you getting on without hubby? Are the girls missing him?

We’re all still alive anyway Betsie! It’s actually been grand really, I’m coping waaaay better this pregnancy though then on my second, I think you just realise from experience you just have to get on with things don’t you! He’s back tomorrow though thank god, he’s a very hands on Dad so even though I can cope without him I do miss him big time.

The girls gave up pining after him pretty quickly. They’ll be glad to see him though!

My arm is like a dead weight! All pins and needles and shooting pains. I hope you fare better! Do you have to do the full three hour glucose test? I did the challenge once in Holles Street but it was just the one hour one because my first was 9lbs9. Not sure if they’ll bother this time!

How's your arm today digs????

Grand today, sore to lift it and touch but nowhere near as sore or swollen as last time. There was no need for my amateur dramatics about it yesterday :D

Aw that's good digs I'm getting mine Tuesday kinda dreading it don't know why x

Ah no it’s grand really! The injection itself is tiny, only a pinch but for some reason it can leave you with a bit of a dead/sore arm for a few days. If you ever remember getting a tetanus injection it’s the same!

Never got a tetnus, not since I was vacinated as a child

• Advertisement

Finally got my whooping cough vaccine this morning, arm is achy and sore but it's ok x

Finally got my whooping cough vaccine this morning, arm is achy and sore but it's ok x

Hopefully that’s the worst of it for you Betsie! Not a bother on mine since Sunday.
    I am so cranky today, all puffy/swollen and tired. I would really really like to just get into my bed for 24hrs and not be disturbed. I hope you’re faring better!!

I can't lift my arm up too high it's stuff and sore, I just took some paracetamol and I'm off to bed zzzzzzzzzzz

Can you get any rest at all digs it's so bloody hard my GP told me this morning if I'm as tired the next day I'm in with him he will be signing me off work to rest

I hope it’s improved this morning for you! Honestly that sounds like a smart GP, when I think of having another kid to add to the mix while pregnant I really don’t know how you do it. I feel split in two with just my pair.

I took a career break after my youngest was born and while the pros for me definitley outweigh the cons one massive con, especially while pregnant is not getting a break, no one to call in sick to and not being able to send the kids to the minder! Anyway, my sister is taking them tomorrow for me, I must have looked sufficiently miserable when she dropped in last night haha! My folks are very good to me so I have no business complaining too much, they’re just away at the moment and aside from that usually the minute my husband gets in the door I retreat to my bedroom for a bit!!

Just a hard couple of days I think, probably catching up from my husband being away last week, it’s like I saw him and my body was like right that’s it, you’re on a go slow now! I’m so stiff and tired.

I hope it’s improved this morning for you! Honestly that sounds like a smart GP, when I think of having another kid to add to the mix while pregnant I really don’t know how you do it. I feel split in two with just my pair.

I took a career break after my youngest was born and while the pros for me definitley outweigh the cons one massive con, especially while pregnant is not getting a break, no one to call in sick to and not being able to send the kids to the minder! Anyway, my sister is taking them tomorrow for me, I must have looked sufficiently miserable when she dropped in last night haha! My folks are very good to me so I have no business complaining too much, they’re just away at the moment and aside from that usually the minute my husband gets in the door I retreat to my bedroom for a bit!!

Just a hard couple of days I think, probably catching up from my husband being away last week, it’s like I saw him and my body was like right that’s it, you’re on a go slow now! I’m so stiff and tired.

Totally digs you knew last week you had to be there all the time for the kids and now he is home take time for yourself X

Did hubby do good in Joe Molone :D

Yeah I love my job but in always in my feet or running up and down stairs but I do think before baby Arrives I do need to chill a little bit and take some me time, I'm going to leave my little boy in the crèche at least 2days maybe 3 anyway a week be good for him and me too

When are you thinking of finishing up Betsie? Sounds like a good idea. On your feet and then home to 3 kids is no joke at all. I’m hanging in there until school is back and I’ll just have one in the mornings which will be nice.

I got perfume, a big bottle too haha!

When are you thinking of finishing up Betsie? Sounds like a good idea. On your feet and then home to 3 kids is no joke at all. I’m hanging in there until school is back and I’ll just have one in the mornings which will be nice.

I got perfume, a big bottle too haha!

Go wants me back to him in 4weeks so that will be september, the lads will be in school/crèche so would be perfect timing

3 weeks today until my 5 year old is back in school. I am not ashamed to say I am counting the days and so is she. The holidays really knock her out of routine and she gets so flippin cheeky. Didn’t help we had a summer camp cancelled on us this week. I have about an inch left on my thether!!!

Oh I can't wait for school to start again,

Gtt done today was a long day had an early start to be at the hospital for 8am l, fingers crossed now that all is ok

• Advertisement

I hope the GTT was ok Betsie?? Have you had results yet?

Went well digs won't have results till Monday if I get a call I'm in trouble if I don't I'm clear X actually hadf a great morning there was 7of us getting it done and we had great chats we even went for tea after it x

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

3 months left tomorrow but the goalposts seem further away than ever!!
    These humid days are absolute torture.... Barely able to breathe!!
    Baby Movement has upped the anti this last while ... I may be carrying a future plasterer or mma expert!!!!

Hope all November Babies are doing well and their Mammies too :)

That sounds ideal Betsie, nice to have someone to talk to while waiting! I hope the results are good.

I am feeling so much better the last two days, I was beyond exhausted all last week, it was beginning to worry me but all good again so I feel like it must have been a growth spurt, my bump has gotten noticeably bigger too. I’m going to take the girls off down to Sligo to my folks holiday home for the week on Thursday, husband has to work so it’s a good thing my energy is back! My parents will be there though and some of my siblings, if anything I’ll get more of a rest haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

Enjoy your trip to Sligo Digs! :)

3 months left tomorrow but the goalposts seem further away than ever!!
    These humid days are absolute torture.... Barely able to breathe!!
    Baby Movement has upped the anti this last while ... I may be carrying a future plasterer or mma expert!!!!

Hope all November Babies are doing well and their Mammies too :)

Oh don't say three months Flan, it makes it sound longer lol.. 11 weeks + something days sounds so much sooner to me. Just like you, I think this LO has growth spurted. Ridiculously hungry now, and good Lord he's gotten big. Definitely feeling a bit whale-y now, and very uncomfortable.

Have you all got much left to get? Been doing anything about hospital bags?

I have a total mental block about my hospital bags this time, it’s very annoying. Both my previous labours have been so quick I haven’t gone near my labour bag except to get babies outfit and I was out after a few hours on my second so my bag for the ward was a non starter too. I’ll get round to it, Murphy’s law means this time I’ll be in labour two days and have a week long hospital stay and I’ll need the flippin bags!

I’ve just gotten a replacement mattress for the next to me and the cot. Aside from that nothing. I want to get a stretchy wrap this time, I feel like this baby will live in a wrap. We don’t need anything else. My husband is going to attack the attic next week while I’m gone and I’ll sort the clothes when I’m back, I have a lot of unisex stuff that will do if it’s a girl or boy and of course plenty girl stuff too! I’ll pick up a few vests and babygros in Penneys too.

• Advertisement

Total side note but I have actually gone into penneys in Dundrum and Rathfarnham about twice each to get 0-3mth unisex babygros and the plain vests but they’re always sold out! Plenty pink and blue ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

Total side note but I have actually gone into penneys in Dundrum and Rathfarnham about twice each to get 0-3mth unisex babygros and the plain vests but they’re always sold out! Plenty pink and blue ones though.

Would you buy them online Digs?

Marks have a few unisex packs of sleepsuits for eg.

http://m.marksandspencer.ie/mt/www.marksandspencer.ie/3-Pack-Pure-Cotton-Sleepsuits/P60129246,en_IE,pd.html?dwvar_P60129246_color=T0&start=

And

http://m.marksandspencer.ie/mt/www.marksandspencer.ie/3-Pack-Pure-Cotton-Sleepsuits/P60162672,en_IE,pd.html?dwvar_P60162672_color=ZZ&start=

My bags just need one or two things, then I'll be done. I just wouldn't be able for it later on, far too much going on at home. I'm going to sound like a miserable sod, but I wish the pregnancy was over. Mine are just too problematic to actually enjoy.

I kind of like the Penneys ones for the first while as they’re cheap and cheerful and wash well! I may well resort to online though thanks.

You poor thing, are you having a tough time of it? I can’t complain too much, sciatica and spd is manageable so far this time and keeps coming and going so I’m not in constant pain thankfully. I’m also stuck in that in between of dying to have this baby here safe and sound while also remembering this is most definitely our last rodeo so not to be wishing it away. Time is just flying along though.

Aldi baby event starts today don't forget

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Boots do some nice neutrals Digs.If your babies have been on the big side though, go for 0-3 mths, their sizes are smallish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

I noticed a lot of people here already have children. We are expecting our first and was wondering could anyone suggest or recommend any books for new parents?

Anti D and check up today all is going well baby is spot on for dates, and is head down already, all my babies were head down from 28 weeks looks like this one is the same 👶👶👶

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

I noticed a lot of people here already have children. We are expecting our first and was wondering could anyone suggest or recommend any books for new parents?

It depends on what info you are looking for.
    A lot of books are American authios and more suited to that society. I found a lot of those books a bit too intense and over the top.

Using boards and Irish forums is better in my opinion. You'd be surprised what Facebook groups there are and some are soecific to your local region as well.

Everyone will have their own spin on how to do things. No one is an expert going into this and every day you will learn something new.

Dont be afraid to ask any questions you want. Just don't expect everyone to have the same take on things. Different things work for different people and every baby is unique.

Your world is about to get better in ways you can not imagine. I know I was afraid of my life and didn't know what to expect. But it all just kinda fits. Mother nature does does her thing!!

Best of luck x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭BABYDOLL

Hi, I was in Liffey Valley Penny's today and they had a good selection of neutral (white and grey) Tesco had a good selection too, that was the only place I could get neutral cardigans.
    HTH

Thanks a mill Shesty and Babydoll! I hadn’t thought of Tesco, must have a look there for cardigans. I did have success in Penneys in Ballina (Mayo) the other day!

Had a hospital apt the other day. All good, head down and well I knew it, I can’t walk far without getting very low pains, between that and my pelvis I am hobbling about. Have to say I love my consultant this time round, Fiona Martyn, would highly recommend her. Totally on my wave length. I wasn’t offered sweeps on my other two but she agreed given my history if I’m favourable close to my due date she’ll do one, although I’ll have to be kept in the hospital for observation after as I go into labour so quickly. I’m hoping that will do the trick, she’s optimistic it will given its third time round and I generall go from 0 to baby at the rate of noughts. She said sometimes in cases like mine an exam is all it takes to get things started. Nice to have a plan anyway.

Aside from that I’m good, feeling huge and more pregnant by the day. Baby is really kicking up a storm and we’re all getting very excited about this baby showing up. I feel like once September hits it’s going to fly in.

Hope everyone else is well!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

I had Fiona for my May baby. I would definitely recommend her!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ehhhh....Digs hang around that hospital!!!I was 1 cm at 39 weeks (internal exam) and had a sweep at 41 weeks.Midwife said 1-2 cm at 39 weeks would be expected on a third baby. The consultant booked me in for an induction the following week (just the way the days fell, he had to do it that day), but told me (and the person he rang) that it wouldn't be needed, I'd go myself.He was right, I did that night.My labours don't hang around either, once they start, they start there's no waiting around the house and getting in and out of showers or anything!!!So go in with your bags packed!

As for the poster with the books-we didn't bother with any ourselves.Do you know anyone who has had children?Generally people with experience are a good source, along with your PHN(if you have a good one).Ask a million questions, every first time parent does.

Kastasia im only sorry I discovered her on my last! I would totally have requested her clinic on the others had I known. My midwife in my GPs office agreed when she heard who I had I’d be well looked after and listened to!

Shesty did you have sweeps on your other two? I’m so interested in this whole sweep thing. I’m well aware in most cases they don’t work, same for inductions but I really think I’m a different kettle of fish and my consultant agreed. I’ve gone to 40 +13 on both of mine in Holles Street without so much as someone taking a look up there (they don’t seem to do sweeps as standard there).
    My first I went in because I thought she had stopped moving (I was a FTM, well overdue, exhausted!! - my Mam forced me to go in!). They had a good look up there which may aswell be a sweep, to my disgust I was 0cm, not so much as a mm. I was told I’d probably be sent home but as I was so overdue they told me to walk the corridors for an hour and come back to them. Off I went, contractions started, came back 50 mins later in absolute agony, I couldn’t walk and didn’t know WTF was happening to me. I was 8cm and baby arrived shortly afterwards!!!

Second baby I had a hospital appointment at 13 days over. I was so exhausted and miserable again that a lovely midwife told me to ask the consultant to check me but I couldn’t open my mouth to ask so he sent me off saying they’d see me the next day for induction, they’d break my waters confident that’s all someone with my history would need. By 8pm that night I was still so miserable (13 days over does that to you!!) that my Mam (again!!) insisted I go in and insist on being checked. So I did, without so much as a single contraction, I felt like a fraud but the midwives were absolute dotes. Had an exam again, I was 3cm, contractions started straight away, 37mins later baby in arms. My husband the colour of Casper.

So I don’t get any warning. My waters don’t go, I don’t get contractions. I literally have an exam and baby shoots out. I’m just wondering if I’d be the same at say 40 weeks as I have at 42. Once my waters go it’s within minutes babies have arrived so the fear of that happening at home are big.
    Due to the other two, I’m a good candidate for induction according to the consultant. She agreed me siting there until 2 weeks over with 2 other kids at home and the possibility of giving birth on the couch is not on so we agreed on the sweep first, with induction much closer to due date then Holles Street would normally do.

I’m just happy to have more of an eye kept on it. My body can’t seem to actually go into labour itself but once I get a nudge all hell breaks loose and what other bodies take hours to do mine crams into a half an hour. My contractions can be 30 seconds apart, intense is one description for it. I think for my poor Mam and husbands sake at least it’s a good plan, their nerves are shot with me!

Annnnnnnnd if anyone is still awake after reading all that you deserve a bar of chocolate but it’s actually cathartic to write it all out!!!

Haha!! (sorry it's really not funny!).I was in the Rotunda and my experience has been they really don't mess around with the third.I am in two minds about sweeps.My first only went a few days over, and my waters went first.That being said, I had an internal exam a couple of days before that - a rather rough one.
    No.2, I asked them to do a sweep at 41 weeks appointment (desparation).Ended up booked in for an induction at exactly 42 weeks, but she arrived herself that morning.
    No.3, she did the internal (i specified no sweep) at 39, then at 41 they told they had to do one (at the same time as I said please do one!!!).
    In my case I go through pre-labour for WEEKS!!Around 37 weeks I start pacing the floors at night with irregular but uncomfortable contractions.No.2 was nearly the death of me, I was basically in labour for a good three weeks, day and night.But I know what the real thing is and know to get in when I feel it.Labours are about 5 hours the last two (third was a big one, it would have been shorter otherwise..) and thet are quite serious about me getting in quickly.
    Edited to say that I was in labour a couple of hours on my third and the midwife checked (I was so over it all!), told me I was 6cm, then 45 mins later baby arrived.Definitely the exam!
    A midwife I know said it's not unheard of to have someone at 1/2cm then you examine them and within minutes they have gone to 10cm often because of the exam, especially with 2nd/3rd babies.I wouldn't be sure a sweep is any good unless you are feeling twinges, cramps or contractions.But then I'm not a midwife.
    My worse fear on the third was that they would accidentally break the waters doing the sweep and that would be it.I think I read it happened to someone else around here!

I kind of feel I could sit to 44 weeks and my body wouldn’t start itself. However if it did start at home I’d be screwed, I progress so quickly. So I feel given the exams have started me off twice, even them checking if I’m favourable gives me a better chance (I don’t see the point of a sweep or induction if you’re not actually favourable!) then leaving me sit there like a duck until 42 weeks not having a clue.

My babies have been 9lbs9 and 9lbs3 so size isn’t an issue here either thankfully! They’ve left me waiting but have exited at speed without so much as a scratch.

They’re definitley taking me waaaaay more seriously 3rd time round, I’ll give them that much. Dr Martyn said herself on your third we don’t hang about and anything I’ve said she’s totally on board with and validated it for me.

Anyway I haven’t a clue, it could go a completely different way this time although I reeeeeeallly hope it doesn’t. I’d do my second labour ten times over, my first I was left in too much shock I still get the shivers over it. My first two labours though have been far too similar in terms of how they’ve started and turned out to not be optimistic that’s just how my body does things and I’m hoping on 3 for 3 minus sitting two weeks over without so much as an exam.

Then again we make plans and the universe laughs ;)

ETA: thanks for sharing your experiences with me Shesty! It is nice to hammer it out a bit with someone who’s done it a few times!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement