Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a scart to HDMI cable

• 04-03-2018 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi,

My new TV does havent a scart lead adapter but my dvd player doesnt have HDMI. I used the DVD player to convert video to DVD so same is essential to me.

Any ideas what I can do?

Some said to buy a new DVD player but do all DVD players have a recording function? I am loathe to buy a cheap DVD player which doesnt do what my current does.

#whytheneedforchange

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

What is the make and model of your new TV ??

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    My new TV does havent a scart lead adapter but my dvd player doesnt have HDMI. I used the DVD player to convert video to DVD so same is essential to me.

It's not as simple as a 'cable' as suggested in the thread title. The SCART signal is analog and has to be converted to digital so you will need a converter, a gadget that requires a DC feed so it will come with a power plug.

By any chance do you have component sockets on the new TV and the DVD player? That will give you the easiest solution. It consists of three sockets for video along with red and white sockets for (L+R) audio. This is what the video sockets will look like. On the new TV the green socket will probably be coloured green and yellow.

2009-10-04_190806_Component_video_jack.jpg
    Some said to buy a new DVD player but do all DVD players have a recording function? I am loathe to buy a cheap DVD player which doesnt do what my current does.

No they don't, most DVD players (non Blu-Ray) are now very cheap and certainly do not include record.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Just to add a little to coylemj's post, you can get a lead that has a SCART socket on one end and corresponding yellow, red and white leads on the other end, like this:

41Mb6N09BqL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

and use this to connect your DVD Recorder to the TV. Just for clarity, the Yellow socket is for Composite Video, and will connect to a Yellow (or Green) video socket, the Red and White are for Audio and will connect to the corresponding coloured sockets on the TV. If you check the manual for your TV it should explain the sockets etc.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Hi there and thanks for the help.

This is a photo of the back of the TV.

I tried to upload the back of the DVD player snaps but they were too large. All that is there though is two scart lead gaps and the yellow, white and red holes referred to above.

Re the make of the tv... it is a brand new Samsung TV but I dont know the serial number.

The Ritz wrote: »
    Just to add a little to coylemj's post, you can get a lead that has a SCART socket on one end and corresponding yellow, red and white leads on the other end, like this:

41Mb6N09BqL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

and use this to connect your DVD Recorder to the TV. Just for clarity, the Yellow socket is for Composite Video, and will connect to a Yellow (or Green) video socket, the Red and White are for Audio and will connect to the corresponding coloured sockets on the TV. If you check the manual for your TV it should explain the sockets etc.

Ritz.

Thank you for this.

After seeing my photo (above post) will this work. I don't think my TV has the capacity for the red,white and green sockets.It has a blue and yellow which I have never seen before to be honest.

• Advertisement

Do you know the model number of the TV - it should be printed on a lable on the back of the tv ? If you look at the sticker in the picture you posted, it shows that it takes audio and video inputs - did the tv come with an adapter which would plug into the blue and yellow sockets ? It could have been in a plastic bag packed with the tv, there should be some instructions in the manual for the tv (which is why you’re being asked for the model number.)

Ritz

I tried to upload the back of the DVD player snaps but they were too large. All that is there though is two scart lead gaps and the yellow, white and red holes referred to above.

Set the resolution on your phone to 2000 x 1000 or 1024 v 767, take a photo of the back of the DVD player and try again. The red and white and so on sockets on the DVD player, are there three or five sockets in total? Can you see the word composite or component?

The blue and yellow sockets on the TV are labelled component, you should have some kind of external concentrator(s) into which you plug the component leads and the gadget in turn plugs into those sockets. Was the TV supplied with one or two gadgets with coloured sockets?

Hi there, thanks for helping.

I took more photos - see attached.

Also see the leads that came with the TV - are they of any use?

Thank you for this by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 28 burrows

By the looks it the little yellow cable you have plugs into the yellow socket on your TV, this will give you the yellow,red and white connectors.

You should easily be able to get hold of a cable to go from scart to those, which will work for playback. Looking at the DVD it has yellow red white wo s straight connection from them to your tv should be possible too.

If you are trying to record from the tv to dvd that may be a little more complex (and probably not possible).

burrows wrote: »
    By the looks it the little yellow cable you have plugs into the yellow socket on your TV, this will give you the yellow,red and white connectors.

You should easily be able to get hold of a cable to go from scart to those, which will work for playback. Looking at the DVD it has yellow red white wo s straight connection from them to your tv should be possible too.

OP won't need a SCART to phono adapter. The phono sockets on the back of the DVD player will connect direct to the three-way adapter cable supplied with the TV.

According to the diagram on the back of the TV in post #5, if you have composite video, you connect the yellow composite video source plus L+R audio into the three way connector supplied with the TV, that plugs onto the yellow port in the back of the TV and you're sorted.

The two way connector with the blue plug is redundant as the OP has no component video source.

If OP doesn't have any phono leads, he could just buy a three-way composite cable and use that to make the connections.

• Advertisement

Hi guys

Are ye saying I can connect the traditional three way lead to the two way lead and this will work as a connection from dvd player to TV?

Can someone post a link to the lead I need?

To connect the camera to the dvd player I use the tradional three way lead, the red, white and yellow one.

I am not sure what lead I need to link the back of the dvd player to the TV.

Connect your three way lead (Red White and Yellow) to the sockets on the back of the DVD player, connect the other end to the mini-lead you pictured in your earlier post and connect the mini lead to the matching socket on the back of the TV.

You may need to set the video output on the dvd player to the output sockets, there should be a menu setting for this in the dvd player if it doesn't work straight away, and you'll need to set the TV to accept its signal from the input sockets, this should be in the list along with the HDMI inputs in the TVs menu.

Ritz.

Thanks but the three way lead I have O my has a port for a camera on it. It is what I use to get the camera footage on dvd via the dvd player.

Presume I just search for a standard 3 way cable so?

Presume I just search for a standard 3 way cable so?

You need a lead like this https://powercity.ie/product/DV1001 and follow the instructions already posted.

Ritz.

Very helpful.

Much appreciated. Thanks a million

You need a lead like this https://powercity.ie/product/DV1001 and follow the instructions already posted.

Ritz.

Hi, I got this set up and it works so I now can play DVDs from the DVD player through the TV (aux connection).

However, I am not sure if I am imagining this or not but the quality doesn't seem to be as good in the process of converting from camera to DVD. I don't see why the connection between the DVD player and the TV would affect this as surely the quality won't change as the connection between the camera and DVD player remains the same????

Thanks

If I understand correctly, you're original set-up had your DVD player/recorder connected to your TV by SCART ?

SCART leads can carry S-Video or Component Video signals, depending on the output capability and input capability of the two devices being connected. Both these video formats would be higher quality than the composite video you currently have between the DVD player and your new TV.

In theory, given that your camera is connected to the DVD player by composite video (Yellow lead) and the dvd is connected to your new TV by the same standard lead, then you might expect to see no difference in the tv picture.

However, this takes no account of how the DVD player is processing the video signal or how it records it, or how good your new TV is at processing a comparatively low level video signal (compared with a higher grade analog signal or HD or 4K digital video signals, for instance), all of which I suspect could contribute to the difference you're seeing.

There may be other issues at play but there's no way of knowing without getting under the bonnet of the performance of the DVD player and checking the leads and connections, all of which might be of no avail in any case.

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

If I understand correctly, you're original set-up had your DVD player/recorder connected to your TV by SCART ?

SCART leads can carry S-Video or Component Video signals, depending on the output capability and input capability of the two devices being connected. Both these video formats would be higher quality than the composite video you currently have between the DVD player and your new TV.

In theory, given that your camera is connected to the DVD player by composite video (Yellow lead) and the dvd is connected to your new TV by the same standard lead, then you might expect to see no difference in the tv picture.

However, this takes no account of how the DVD player is processing the video signal or how it records it, or how good your new TV is at processing a comparatively low level video signal (compared with a higher grade analog signal or HD or 4K digital video signals, for instance), all of which I suspect could contribute to the difference you're seeing.

There may be other issues at play but there's no way of knowing without getting under the bonnet of the performance of the DVD player and checking the leads and connections, all of which might be of no avail in any case.

Ritz.

Hi Ritz, thanks again but am I correct in saying that the drop in quality at present is purely just an "output" thing?

In other words, the current set up should provide the same quality DVD as before, just that when I currently view those DVDs (and earlier DVDs) with the current set up (i.e. DVD to TV not via Scart) I am seeing less of a picture.

That said, the actual quality on the DVD now in comparison to them should be the same (if viewed in the same manner as before)?

• Advertisement

In other words, the current set up should provide the same quality DVD as before ......

No, you were never going to get as good a picture as before because your DVD player doesn't support component video which uses three connections for the picture vs. the one ('composite') connection you are now using. Your old setup involved a SCART connection where three of the pins were used for component video.

Although it will not come with recording capabilities, consider buying a cheap DVD player with component or HDMI output if you want a decent picture.

Advertisement