Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sir Roger Bannister passes away - First sub 4 mile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

chrislad wrote: »

Rip. A true icon and pioneer of sport and life. A name that transends sport. Up there with people like Neil Armstrong and Hillary/Norgay as bookmarks of history. I heard him say in an interview that he only trained 40 miles per week max but it was all hard running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,744 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The most famous barrier in sports history...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

The race in question

4 months later in the Empire Games, Bannister and Landy go head to head in the "miracle mile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

He's just Roger Bannister, none of this Sir ****e please. Fantastic runner and doctor, but titles are bull**** and and have no standing in the rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

He was Sir Roger Bannister, just like it is President Trump, Queen Elizabeth and Pope Francis.
    The fact that your mean spirited post doesn't recognise a foreign honour system is immaterial, that was how his country chose to mark the acheivement he made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

pc11 wrote: »
    He's just Roger Bannister, none of this Sir ****e please. Fantastic runner and doctor, but titles are bull**** and and have no standing in the rest of the world.

Ah stop being a gob****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

In fairness it’s not like he got a KOM on strava he was the first person to break 4 mins in the mile , I think Sir in some way shows his importance and acknowledges what he achiened. I think he well deserves that title and although people maybe don’t know the man directly they may be upset at his passing so your post is ill timed and reads unpleasant if i’m honest.

cjt156 wrote: »
    He was Sir Roger Bannister, just like it is President Trump, Queen Elizabeth and Pope Francis.
    The fact that your mean spirited post doesn't recognise a foreign honour system is immaterial, that was how his country chose to mark the acheivement he made.

Yes, but this isn't his country. This country does not have such titles, which is very welcome as they are profoundly corrupt and anti-democratic. They have no meaning here and it's ridiculous to honour them. When Irish people bleat on about "Sir Alex Ferguson" it's frankly nauseating.

If you are unable to read my post as criticism of the UK honours system rather than of Roger Bannister then I can't help you.

Also, if you don't know the difference between a job title and a courtesy title then that's unfortunate.

Ah stop being a gob****e.

Good argument.

We don't have a Pope or a Queen in this country either, they are still the correct titles, though.
    But thanks for dragging this thread down to your petty level.

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote: »
    We don't have a Pope or a Queen in this country either, they are still the correct titles, though.
    But thanks for dragging this thread down to your petty level.

Yeah, very much not the same thing.

It's sad you think I'm dragging anything down. I'm pretty sure I know and appreciate an awful lot more about Bannister and the history of athletics than most.

If you actually read my post you'll see I praised hime generously, it's the UK honours system I abhor.

And so should any rational person, especially in this country.

In fairness it’s not like he got a KOM on strava he was the first person to break 4 mins in the mile , I think Sir in some way shows his importance and acknowledges what he achiened. I think he well deserves that title and although people maybe don’t know the man directly they may be upset at his passing so your post is ill timed and reads unpleasant if i’m honest.

As an athletics buff my whole life, I know exactly what he did and it was marvellous. Read my post again, you'll see I did not criticise HIM. If people choose to misread my post I can't help that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

A true pioneer in our sport, broke what was considered an impossible barrier. May he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

As an athletics buff my whole life, I know exactly what he did and it was marvellous. Read my post again, you'll see I did not criticise HIM. If people choose to misread my post I can't help that.

Maybe you have a decent argument about us recognising the uk honours system , but i think your post was ill timed and i’m not sure if your just having a bad day and want to take it out online .

if it was me i would of waited a week or two and posted “do you think we should recognise the uk honours system “ . Posting it now is just going to annoy people which you have done intentionally or not , anyway that’s my last post on the matter 😀

No one is misreading your post. Your opinion on the honours system is as irrelevant as mine on the Catholic Church. The Pope is a Pope, Sir Roger Bannister was a Knight.
    The fact that you need to voice your irrelevant opinion on a thread marking his death is demeaning and reveals more about you and your lack of judgement than it does about the honours system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Rip. A true icon and pioneer of sport and life. A name that transends sport. Up there with people like Neil Armstrong and Hillary/Norgay as bookmarks of history. I heard him say in an interview that he only trained 40 miles per week max but it was all hard running.

People like Roger amaze me, are they just born with an extra gear. How do they train so hard while working or studying and excel at both.

Middle distance runner Steve Ovett apparently ran 130 miles a week and then you have Roger doing less than a third of that on a cinder track.

Ironic that he should develop Parkinsons in the end after researching the nervous system his whole life.
    Maybe you have a decent argument about us recognising the uk honours system , but i think your post was ill timed and i’m not sure if your just having a bad day and want to take it out online .

if it was me i would of waited a week or two and posted “do you think we should recognise the uk honours system “ . Posting it now is just going to annoy people which you have done intentionally or not , anyway that’s my last post on the matter 😀

I can see how anyone could think the whole honours Fiasco is laughable these days with celebrities and the likes being given titles but back in the day I think they were more selective about who was chosen and Roger definitely fitted the bill.
    I dont think anyone uses these titles except in formal settings like Steve Cram introducing someone as part of his buildup patriotic sh$te when hes hosting the athletics programmes but most brits dont go on like that and couldn't care less.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Then you'll also know that the knighthood was awarded in recognition of his medical work.

robinph wrote: »
    Then you'll also know that the knighthood was awarded in recognition of his medical work.

Sports Council and knighthood[edit]
    Bannister later became the first Chairman of the Sports Council (now called Sport England) and was knighted for this service in 1975.[18] Under his aegis, central and local government funding of sports centres and other sports facilities was rapidly increased, and he also initiated the first testing for use of anabolic steroids in sport.[19]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

joey1111 wrote: »

Sports Council and knighthood[edit]
    Bannister later became the first Chairman of the Sports Council (now called Sport England) and was knighted for this service in 1975.[18] Under his aegis, central and local government funding of sports centres and other sports facilities was rapidly increased, and he also initiated the first testing for use of anabolic steroids in sport.[19]
    Also in 1975, Bannister was knighted by Queen Elizabeth, receiving the title "Sir Roger Bannister." The honor was not in recognition of his running, but of his life's work as a runner and a physician.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/people/sports-and-games/sports-biographies/roger-bannister

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Also in 1975, Bannister was knighted by Queen Elizabeth, receiving the title "Sir Roger Bannister." The honor was not in recognition of his running, but of his life's work as a runner and a physician.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/people/sports-and-games/sports-biographies/roger-bannister

running/runner...without running we have no runner. If he wasn't running at the level he was running he probably never would've had the status/recognition to be in a position to open sports centres, fund his research, write his theories etc. Stand out from the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

The cartoon in the Guardian yesterday was good.

Ben Jennings on doping in sport – cartoon

Advertisement