Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling disheartened with trying to conceive....

Options
  • 04-03-2018 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Sorry if this post appears to be a rant, I have no other avenue to get this off my chest. If I don't let it all out, I'm going to fall into another cycle of wallowing in self pity and despair.

I am 31, as is my OH and we have been TTC our first child since May last year. I have PCOS but my periods are very regular, just very heavy and painful. I was only diagnosed with PCOS as they were investigating the cause of my acne, so they sent me for a transvaginal scan and informed me of the PCOS. I used to be very over-weight, but have gone from dress size 26 to size 10/12 (lost the weight before my PCOS diagnosis - kept the weight off for the last 5 years now). I am very fit, strong and active ( I weight lift at the gym 4/5 days a week), I'm always on my feet for work, go running regularly, and my diet is so clean. I count my calories everyday to keep the weight off, I don't eat processed foods, drink or smoke. My OH is very fit and strong, he is also a weight lifter and plays GAA three times a week, doesn't smoke and only drinks once in a blue moon (last time was xmas), he's in fantastic shape.

I started taking folic acid before we started TTC, and have been on pregnacare pre-conception for 2 months. I also gave caffeine up completely when we started TTC. I have tried pinapple core for 5 days after ovulation to improve implanation, for 4 cycles but with no joy. I have just started taking agnus castus in the hope that it help and we finally get a BFP.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but every month we have been trying, I get crazy pregnancy symptoms the day or so after ovulation. My boobs become very swollen and tender, and my nipples have a constant burning/buzzing sensation. I also get very nauseous and suffer with heartburn. Every month I allow myself to think that this is finally our month, the symptoms are there, and then af shows up and they disappear. I consistently spot for 3 to 4 days before af fully arrives. I know this is a symptom of low progesterone. I went to my GP last month, on our 9th month of trying, and she said she wouldn't do any bloods or tests until we had been trying for a year. I have my hopes pinned on the agnus castus to help with my low progesterone.

I am seriously struggling with the heartache of not having conceived yet. I feel so lonely and isolated, it is such a private issue. My friends around me are getting pregnant so quickly, just last week a close friend confided in me that she had just got her BFP, and it was their first month trying. It was so hard not to burst into tears when she told me, I am so truly delighted for her, I just wish we could experience the joy of a BFP too. I feel like a failure as a woman and partner, all I want is to start a family, but I'm depriving my OH of something he wants so badly, we both do. My OH has been amazing this whole time, we are DTD every other day as soon as AF has gone, until she comes again. People keep asking when we are going to start a family, I am just really struggling to keep it together and not break down every time I'm asked. I feel like such a fool for worrying and trying to prevent getting pregnant for so many years. If only I knew how hard and emotionally challenging TTC was going to be, we would have started much sooner.

Apologies, wallow over! Anyone also TTC and want to become budies? Lets hope 2018 is the year we get a bundle of joy!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Busy_nurse wrote: »
    Sorry if this post appears to be a rant, I have no other avenue to get this off my chest. If I don't let it all out, I'm going to fall into another cycle of wallowing in self pity and despair.

I am 31, as is my OH and we have been TTC our first child since May last year. I have PCOS but my periods are very regular, just very heavy and painful. I was only diagnosed with PCOS as they were investigating the cause of my acne, so they sent me for a transvaginal scan and informed me of the PCOS. I used to be very over-weight, but have gone from dress size 26 to size 10/12 (lost the weight before my PCOS diagnosis - kept the weight off for the last 5 years now). I am very fit, strong and active ( I weight lift at the gym 4/5 days a week), I'm always on my feet for work, go running regularly, and my diet is so clean. I count my calories everyday to keep the weight off, I don't eat processed foods, drink or smoke. My OH is very fit and strong, he is also a weight lifter and plays GAA three times a week, doesn't smoke and only drinks once in a blue moon (last time was xmas), he's in fantastic shape.

I started taking folic acid before we started TTC, and have been on pregnacare pre-conception for 2 months. I also gave caffeine up completely when we started TTC. I have tried pinapple core for 5 days after ovulation to improve implanation, for 4 cycles but with no joy. I have just started taking agnus castus in the hope that it help and we finally get a BFP.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but every month we have been trying, I get crazy pregnancy symptoms the day or so after ovulation. My boobs become very swollen and tender, and my nipples have a constant burning/buzzing sensation. I also get very nauseous and suffer with heartburn. Every month I allow myself to think that this is finally our month, the symptoms are there, and then af shows up and they disappear. I consistently spot for 3 to 4 days before af fully arrives. I know this is a symptom of low progesterone. I went to my GP last month, on our 9th month of trying, and she said she wouldn't do any bloods or tests until we had been trying for a year. I have my hopes pinned on the agnus castus to help with my low progesterone.

I am seriously struggling with the heartache of not having conceived yet. I feel so lonely and isolated, it is such a private issue. My friends around me are getting pregnant so quickly, just last week a close friend confided in me that she had just got her BFP, and it was their first month trying. It was so hard not to burst into tears when she told me, I am so truly delighted for her, I just wish we could experience the joy of a BFP too. I feel like a failure as a woman and partner, all I want is to start a family, but I'm depriving my OH of something he wants so badly, we both do. My OH has been amazing this whole time, we are DTD every other day as soon as AF has gone, until she comes again. People keep asking when we are going to start a family, I am just really struggling to keep it together and not break down every time I'm asked. I feel like such a fool for worrying and trying to prevent getting pregnant for so many years. If only I knew how hard and emotionally challenging TTC was going to be, we would have started much sooner.

Apologies, wallow over! Anyone also TTC and want to become budies? Lets hope 2018 is the year we get a bundle of joy!!!

You are doing everything you can! Sometimes these things just take time! And trust me i’m speaking as someone in your shoes for almost 2.5 years. Be as pro-active as you can! Hopefully this will be our year

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

It sounds like you're doing everything right and you absolutely have time on your side if you're only 31. That's not to minimise how painful and frustrating this process can be.

Sometimes it does just take time but I see no reason at all why your GP wouldn't do blood tests. I know they say wait a year and all that, but there's no harm at all in getting some simple tests done. I'd go back and ask for them to be done. If last month was your 9th month, this will be your 10th. My experience is GPs want them done twice anyway to make sure there wasn't an anomaly one month. That's being tested again on your 11th month and by the time you have all your results, you'll be at the year. Although you never know you might have your BFP in the meantime!

Yes, relaxing and trying not to worry is what everyone says but that's easier said that done and I found that having tests done at least made me feel like I was taking some control of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

OP, I have PCOS as well. I would defintely be insisting your GP do your bloods now. Or a lot of fertility clinics will do the tests without a referral.

I know how you feel going through every month and getting your hopes up only for them to be dashed when your period arrives. It took us a year and a half to conceive and 9 months of that were with ovulation induction because it turns out I wasn’t ovulating because of the PCOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Busy_nurse

Nerd Queen wrote: »
    You are doing everything you can! Sometimes these things just take time! And trust me i’m speaking as someone in your shoes for almost 2.5 years. Be as pro-active as you can! Hopefully this will be our year

Nerd Queen, thanks so much for the positivity! I don’t know how you’ve done it for 2.5 years, you must be so emotionally strong, I take my hat off to you. I have everything crossed that this will be our year.

ally_pally wrote: »
    It sounds like you're doing everything right and you absolutely have time on your side if you're only 31. That's not to minimise how painful and frustrating this process can be.

Sometimes it does just take time but I see no reason at all why your GP wouldn't do blood tests. I know they say wait a year and all that, but there's no harm at all in getting some simple tests done. I'd go back and ask for them to be done. If last month was your 9th month, this will be your 10th. My experience is GPs want them done twice anyway to make sure there wasn't an anomaly one month. That's being tested again on your 11th month and by the time you have all your results, you'll be at the year. Although you never know you might have your BFP in the meantime!

Yes, relaxing and trying not to worry is what everyone says but that's easier said that done and I found that having tests done at least made me feel like I was taking some control of the process.

I’ll give it another go with my GP, thanks for the great advice ally_pally. I completely agree with you, if I were to get tests done, I would at least feel like I’m doing something. Did you get your BFP ally_pally?? I really appreciate you taking the time to offer some advice, thank you.

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    OP, I have PCOS as well. I would defintely be insisting your GP do your bloods now. Or a lot of fertility clinics will do the tests without a referral.

I know how you feel going through every month and getting your hopes up only for them to be dashed when your period arrives. It took us a year and a half to conceive and 9 months of that were with ovulation induction because it turns out I wasn’t ovulating because of the PCOS.

Thanks so much for sharing your story, it feels so good to know I’m not alone and other people have had similar experiences, and have had a baby at the end of it! I’m definitely going to be heading back to the GP to get some bloods. Thanks for the advice.

I’m so happy that you managed to conceive, congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

PCOS here too. I was getting myself so worked up over TTC, my GP gave me Clomid after 9 months. On 3rd cycle of that, I got pregnant with twins! I was also taking 3,000mg Evening Primrose Oil every day from CD1 to ovulation. And BComplex vitamins after that. BFP came a year and a day after starting TTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

I’ll give it another go with my GP, thanks for the great advice ally_pally. I completely agree with you, if I were to get tests done, I would at least feel like I’m doing something. Did you get your BFP ally_pally?? I really appreciate you taking the time to offer some advice, thank you.

I did indeed, thankfully. My bloods showed I wasn't ovulating, or at least not every month. So I was referred to a doctor in the Rotunda who ordered a load of tests to make sure there wasn't any physical blockage or reason for us not conceiving (HSG, ultrasound, MRI). He also put me on a small dose of Clomid. Never did get around to having the MRI as I got pregnant my first month taking Clomid and our little girl turned a year a few weeks ago.

I fully know the pain and frustration of waiting for it to happen, the unfairness of how it happens so easily for everyone else, feeling like a cow for being jealous of your friends' good news. I'd imagine everyone on this forum has felt that. You have time and good health on your side so I'm sure your BFP isn't far away.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,915 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

PCOS here as well, my doctor put me on metformin and I got pregnant about 6 months after starting that. The thing with PCOS is that even if you get regular periods, you might not be ovulating so definitely get the bloods done first and see.

I know you said your GP won't do bloods, but you can self refer to some of the fertility clinics. I don't know where in the country you are, but SIMS allow you to self refer and the initial bloods weren't massively expensive if I remember right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Get your fella checked out too by the way. Motility, mobility, count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 RascalGal

Thank you Busy_nurse,
    Im glad someone has just put into words everything I'm feeling. We have been trying to conceive since December 2016 and no luck yet. It's soul destroying! Month on month it's the same story. Like you, my friends have been getting pregnant so easily. One just confided in me recently that she was expecting in early Nov and she just went back to work after her 6 months mat leave. She even said that her and her partner were only not careful one time and it happened for them....I hate feeling so jealous but I really didn't need to hear this.

My own story is I have slightly irregular periods..vary between 26 and 31 days. Had day 3 and 21 bloods done last year that showed slightly low estreogen levels...doc told me to take a Maca supplement. Found this raised my libido which is helpful when you're timing intercourse for conception..which can feel the opposite of romantic!! Hubbie had seen analysis and all good with him..high count and motility. Still no joy in November 2017 and so doc put me on clomid..50mg for three months. She told me to try for the fourth month before visiting her again as she has had patients in the past that conceived in the 1st month after finishing three months of it.

Like you I have myself convinced every month is our month. I have had a good cry on a few occasions but it does little to help..

Also can I ask what is angus castus..I haven't heard of it..what is it supposed to help with?

RascalGal wrote: »
    Thank you Busy_nurse,
    Im glad someone has just put into words everything I'm feeling. We have been trying to conceive since December 2016 and no luck yet. It's soul destroying! Month on month it's the same story. Like you, my friends have been getting pregnant so easily. One just confided in me recently that she was expecting in early Nov and she just went back to work after her 6 months mat leave. She even said that her and her partner were only not careful one time and it happened for them....I hate feeling so jealous but I really didn't need to hear this.

My own story is I have slightly irregular periods..vary between 26 and 31 days. Had day 3 and 21 bloods done last year that showed slightly low estreogen levels...doc told me to take a Maca supplement. Found this raised my libido which is helpful when you're timing intercourse for conception..which can feel the opposite of romantic!! Hubbie had seen analysis and all good with him..high count and motility. Still no joy in November 2017 and so doc put me on clomid..50mg for three months. She told me to try for the fourth month before visiting her again as she has had patients in the past that conceived in the 1st month after finishing three months of it.

Like you I have myself convinced every month is our month. I have had a good cry on a few occasions but it does little to help..

RascalGal, so sorry for the delay, I’ve been away and was trying not to think about TTC, I’m the 2ww and very symptomatic again, so trying not to get my hopes up (I’m failing miserably)

Thanks for sharing your story, I have everything crossed that this is your year. I know how conflicting it is when someone close to you gets pregnant, and so easily, you want to be happy for them, but the constant question of why can’t that happen to me is perfectly understandable, I truly feel for you.

Angus castus is a natural supplement which is meant to help with hormone regulation. It’s often referred to as natures clomid. I started taking it on the first day of my current cycle, and have noticed more cm, and I’m definitely more in the mood to DTD, so fingers crossed it’s doing some good. You can get it from most health shops and some pharmacies. I use the avogel drops, 20 in the morning and night. They taste vile but I’m desperate so will try anything. If we don’t conceive this month, I’m heading straight back to the GP and insisting on some bloods.

Toots wrote: »
    PCOS here as well, my doctor put me on metformin and I got pregnant about 6 months after starting that. The thing with PCOS is that even if you get regular periods, you might not be ovulating so definitely get the bloods done first and see.

I know you said your GP won't do bloods, but you can self refer to some of the fertility clinics. I don't know where in the country you are, but SIMS allow you to self refer and the initial bloods weren't massively expensive if I remember right.

Thanks for the great advice, will get onto this!

nikkibikki wrote: »
    PCOS here too. I was getting myself so worked up over TTC, my GP gave me Clomid after 9 months. On 3rd cycle of that, I got pregnant with twins! I was also taking 3,000mg Evening Primrose Oil every day from CD1 to ovulation. And BComplex vitamins after that. BFP came a year and a day after starting TTC.

Wish my go would do that for me! Congratulations, I’m so happy for you, you are doubly blessed.

Thanks for that. I must try them. I've read on previous posts that Apple cider vinegar can have benefits too. It's the 2ww here also. Expecting AF between 25th-27th..hope she doesn't arrive

My doc told me that she previously had 6 Clomid couples who conceived twins in one year after a 3 month course of it...wouldn't that be fabulous news to get! Congrats on your expectant twins. Hope everything is going well x

Thanks for that. I must try them. I've read on previous posts that Apple cider vinegar can have benefits too. It's the 2ww here also. Expecting AF between 25th-27th..hope she doesn't arrive

Fingers crossed RascalGal! My AF is due 23rd, I hope to god she doesn’t turn up and this is our month!?!?! Please keep me posted on how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

RascalGal wrote:
    My doc told me that she previously had 6 Clomid couples who conceived twins in one year after a 3 month course of it...wouldn't that be fabulous news to get! Congrats on your expectant twins. Hope everything is going well x

This was a few years ago I was going through this, they will be 5 later this year! Absolutely doubly blessed! I was the first patient of my GP's to have a multiple pregnancy and she's practicing over 20 years. PCOS is tough. So much uncertainty. You never know 100% if you ovulated, even though the pee on a stick tests say you did. My periods are still irregular. I learned a lot about my body during the TTC journey. I remember a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility being recommended at the time by lots of fellow TTCers but I never read it. Might be worth a look.

Fingers crossed RascalGal! My AF is due 23rd, I hope to god she doesn’t turn up and this is our month!?!?! Please keep me posted on how you get on.

Fingers and toes crossed for you too Baby_nurse. 🀞 . I've never had those symptoms you've been getting. Just mild cramping but I don't know if it's only since we started ttc that I've noticed that...some of the theories I come up with to explain why it will happen this month are hilarious. I will definitely let you know how things go and please do the same x

• Advertisement

nikkibikki wrote: »
    This was a few years ago I was going through this, they will be 5 later this year! Absolutely doubly blessed! I was the first patient of my GP's to have a multiple pregnancy and she's practicing over 20 years. PCOS is tough. So much uncertainty. You never know 100% if you ovulated, even though the pee on a stick tests say you did. My periods are still irregular. I learned a lot about my body during the TTC journey. I remember a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility being recommended at the time by lots of fellow TTCers but I never read it. Might be worth a look.

I might have a look at that nikkibikki. Ah I understand now...well it's great to hear success stories. It's great to have a forum to communicate about this. I don't want to discuss it with any of my friends. I'm paranoid it will be a talking point behind my back then..I'm very sensitive about it

Fingers and toes crossed for you too Baby_nurse. 🀞 . I've never had those symptoms you've been getting. Just mild cramping but I don't know if it's only since we started ttc that I've noticed that...some of the theories I come up with to explain why it will happen this month are hilarious. I will definitely let you know how things go and please do the same x

Haha, I can imagine what you’re telling yourself, I’m doing the exact same! It’s so hard not to get carried away when you want it so badly. I’ll def keep you posted, I have everything crossed for us both x

I might have a look at that nikkibikki. Ah I understand now...well it's great to hear success stories. It's great to have a forum to communicate about this. I don't want to discuss it with any of my friends. I'm paranoid it will be a talking point behind my back then..I'm very sensitive about it

I know exactly what you mean about being able to communicate openly and freely here, I haven’t told a soul we’re TTC, I feel it’s too personal and painful to talk about with people I know. It’s so good to know I’m not alone in this, and people have been so kind to respond to my post, thanks so much folks! You’ve made a desperate woman feel better about a sensitive situation x

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Donnachain1

hi, so sorry to hear about how you are feeling.

have you tried using the OPK's and the ovualtion monitor. have you tracked your temperatures to make sure you are ovualting? there is a real science to it. I find them great. also, the book taking charge of your fertility by Toni Weschler is soooo amazing. huge and well worth the money.

youtube is great to following people on their conceiving journeys. sorry I dont have time to write a big long post but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Sorry to chime in here, but what the hell is DTD? My wife had similar PCOS issues and I always thought the term was DTF, however haven't a clue what any of these mean and googling isnt giving any answers that make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Donnachain1

myshirt wrote: »
    Sorry to chime in here, but what the hell is DTD? My wife had similar PCOS issues and I always thought the term was DTF, however haven't a clue what any of these mean and googling isnt giving any answers that make sense.

Do the deed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Hi OP. Just wanted to give you some hope.

In 2015 we were trying for a full 12 months. By 9 months of hoping, symptom spotting, and then getting so disappointed when af would arrive, I decided to give acupuncture a go. She told me to not expect anything for at least 3 months. Straight away though, I did feel changes, mostly in my cm, which was much thicker and stronger. Anyway, 3 months later, and after 12 months of trying, just as I was ready to start thinking about other options, I got a bfp. My little man was born 9 months later.

Last year, when we felt ready to try again, I expected a similar wait. My periods had just returned after I finished breastfeeding, but my cycles were really long. So I went back to the acupuncturist to try to sort that out. Turns out though, that I was already pregnant!

So I'm now nearly 7 months pregnant with a 20 month old.

Sometimes these things, frustrating and heartbreaking as it is at the time, just take time.

Best of luck. I hope you get your good news soon x

hi, so sorry to hear about how you are feeling.

have you tried using the OPK's and the ovualtion monitor. have you tracked your temperatures to make sure you are ovualting? there is a real science to it. I find them great. also, the book taking charge of your fertility by Toni Weschler is soooo amazing. huge and well worth the money.

youtube is great to following people on their conceiving journeys. sorry I dont have time to write a big long post but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hi Donnachain1, thanks for your post. I have been using OPKs for the last 3 months. This current cycle, I used them twice a day, using first morning urine and testing again in the afternoon, but I have still never got a positive OPK. I’m going back to my GP to talk about this and hopefully get some bloods done. I’ve looked into charting temps, but I do shift work and get up at different times each day, and I also do a lot of night shifts, so I figured that temping wouldn’t be accurate. Thanks for the advice, I will def check out that book and will look up some YouTube videos, anything to feel like I’m not the only one going through this. Thanks again for your post x

myshirt wrote: »

Please ask away, Would be great to hear a male perspective on this. Feel free to ask any questions.

• Advertisement

Hi OP. Just wanted to give you some hope.

In 2015 we were trying for a full 12 months. By 9 months of hoping, symptom spotting, and then getting so disappointed when af would arrive, I decided to give acupuncture a go. She told me to not expect anything for at least 3 months. Straight away though, I did feel changes, mostly in my cm, which was much thicker and stronger. Anyway, 3 months later, and after 12 months of trying, just as I was ready to start thinking about other options, I got a bfp. My little man was born 9 months later.

Last year, when we felt ready to try again, I expected a similar wait. My periods had just returned after I finished breastfeeding, but my cycles were really long. So I went back to the acupuncturist to try to sort that out. Turns out though, that I was already pregnant!

So I'm now nearly 7 months pregnant with a 20 month old.

Sometimes these things, frustrating and heartbreaking as it is at the time, just take time.

Best of luck. I hope you get your good news soon x

Thank you so much for taking the time to post and share your story, I truly do appreciate it. I’ve played with the idea of going to acupuncture a few times, hearing your success story has def helped me make up my mind about it. Congratulations on both your pregnancies, I hope all is going well with your current one?

Thanks so much for the kind and understanding words, sometimes I feel like I’m obsessed with TTC and babies, it’s so nice to hear that people are getting their BFPs in time x

Advertisement