Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling disheartened with trying to conceive....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Busy_nurse

Myself and my OH stopped using contraception years ago. We decided consciously not to "try" but to "not prevent".

Many years and two miscarriages later, I'm now expecting a baby some time this week.

I relate to the heartache, the constant wondering, the looking on in envy at others... but this is the only advice I can offer.

Relax as much as possible. Don't medicalise things if possible. Enjoy your life as much as you can. Have a few drinks now and again. Don't have sex on a schedule, just go with it. Book holidays and fun treats - you're more likely to get pregnant when relaxed. Be open minded and research options around adopting or fostering - just to know what's out there. Focus on what you have, not what you don't have. That was huge for me.

Be really kind to yourself and hang in there. We live in hope. :)

Hi Mystery Egg,

Thanks for sharing your story, and congratulations on your pregnancy! I really hope everything goes well for you, you must be bursting with excitement! I really appreciate your advise, thank you. Also hearing from people who have been where my OH and I am now, and have been successful means a lot. Thank you and best of luck! x

I really a really long post earlier but don't see it here so am writing this again now.
    So I went to my GP for fertility tests ;

-smear test = swab came back normal and STD tests were fine, was sent for a biopsy which eventually came back as normal, was a stressful 6 weeks waiting for results
    -hormone tests showed signs of PCOS, too high in androgen DHEA and my ratio of LH:FSH is too high means anouvlation and very irregular and infrequent AF
    -thyroid test normal, insulin and cholesterol fine (important to be tested if youve pcos for this)

I was referred to gyno for further tests

-MRI indicated PCOS

-ultrasound showed 12 follicles on left and 16 on right
    -amh is 87 which is way too high indicates poor egg quality.

I've other symptoms of pcos acne, hairer and higher sex drive (probably the one good thing about it),

I'm on metforim for 5 weeks, really hoping my AF comes it's been 4 months and nothing. Plan is try it for 5 months and if it isn't working (not ovulating no AF) then will add clomid or replace it with clomid.
    I'm really trying to be patient. I am recently diagnosed with pcos and it is a big shock, i was on the pill for so long had no idea I could have any problems once I came off it. Always assumed I would have no problem having children, we started trying as soon as doctor told us we need to hurry up as I will have problems.

Fertility things I've tried so far

-chinese medicine stopped as didnt want to interfer with my medical test results
    -accupuncture (stopped as it was expensive but thinking of starting it again)
    -royal jelly (didnt see any difference)
    -maca (think it gave me anxiety but i'm not sure)

-waiting, postive thinking, yoga, reiki , mediation

-clue and Ovia app, temperature taking and CM charting. though quite pointless when I'm not ovulating

Thanks for your response, have you tried anything else you either recommend or don't think worked?

Wow, you've tried a lot, fair play to you. I hear you with the shock of getting the PCOS diagnosis, I was astounded when I received mine. Like other posters have said, it is still possible to get pregnant with PCOS, so keep the faith.

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2016 following a transvaginal scan. My AF was always 28 days, just VERY heavy and painful and I have acne. Plus I gain weight very easily. So when we started TTC, I told my GP about the PCOS, and she referred us to a fertility clinic after 10 months of trying. They did another transvaginal scan, and AMH test and turns out I don't have PCOS. My ovaries looked perfectly normal and my AMH was within the normal parameters. Under the fertility clinic, we have also had STI tests (we've been together 10 years and didn't feel these were necessary but the clinic insisted), semen analysis, a HSG (scan to see if my Fallopian tubes are blocked) and 3 and 21 day bloods. I've had multiple smears and they have all been fine. Still waiting for the results of the bloods but other than that everything has come back perfectly normal or better than average.

Things I've tried:
    Agnus Castus - I took this in drop from and even though I stopped taking because the consultant I'm seeing at the clinic isn't a fan, I'm convinced this made me ovulate again.

Pregnacare Preconception Supplements - I've been on these for about 6 months, and they are the only supplement the clinic consultant recommends. They contain vitamin B which is meant to help with regulating hormones associated with reproductive health.

Inositol supplements - I bought these supplements from america when I still thought I had PCOS. I read an awful lot about them online, there is a huge amount of positive feedback about them, especially for PCOS suffers, including youtube videos. Since I have been taking them I have seen very positive changes in my CM and I've had my first ever positive OPK, so I recommend them. PM me if you want to know the name of them, they are pricey though!

I personally don't chart my temperature because I work shifts (mixture of days and nights) so won't be able to take my temp at a consistent time.

I have tried pee on a stick OPKs and never got a positive result, however, I cannot hold my urine for 4 hours to save my life. I did invest in a saliva OPK last month and got a positive result this month! And it coincided with fertile CM so I'm actually delighted with the purchase :-) It's much, much easier to use and far better value, it's reusable: I paid 40 yoyos including delivery.

Sweet Jaysus the things we do. I would literally try anything to become a mum x

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

Busy_nurse wrote: »
    Wow, you've tried a lot, fair play to you. I hear you with the shock of getting the PCOS diagnosis, I was astounded when I received mine. Like other posters have said, it is still possible to get pregnant with PCOS, so keep the faith.

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2016 following a transvaginal scan. My AF was always 28 days, just VERY heavy and painful and I have acne. Plus I gain weight very easily. So when we started TTC, I told my GP about the PCOS, and she referred us to a fertility clinic after 10 months of trying. They did another transvaginal scan, and AMH test and turns out I don't have PCOS. My ovaries looked perfectly normal and my AMH was within the normal parameters. Under the fertility clinic, we have also had STI tests (we've been together 10 years and didn't feel these were necessary but the clinic insisted), semen analysis, a HSG (scan to see if my Fallopian tubes are blocked) and 3 and 21 day bloods. I've had multiple smears and they have all been fine. Still waiting for the results of the bloods but other than that everything has come back perfectly normal or better than average.

Things I've tried:
    Agnus Castus - I took this in drop from and even though I stopped taking because the consultant I'm seeing at the clinic isn't a fan, I'm convinced this made me ovulate again.

Pregnacare Preconception Supplements - I've been on these for about 6 months, and they are the only supplement the clinic consultant recommends. They contain vitamin B which is meant to help with regulating hormones associated with reproductive health.

Inositol supplements - I bought these supplements from america when I still thought I had PCOS. I read an awful lot about them online, there is a huge amount of positive feedback about them, especially for PCOS suffers, including youtube videos. Since I have been taking them I have seen very positive changes in my CM and I've had my first ever positive OPK, so I recommend them. PM me if you want to know the name of them, they are pricey though!

I personally don't chart my temperature because I work shifts (mixture of days and nights) so won't be able to take my temp at a consistent time.

I have tried pee on a stick OPKs and never got a positive result, however, I cannot hold my urine for 4 hours to save my life. I did invest in a saliva OPK last month and got a positive result this month! And it coincided with fertile CM so I'm actually delighted with the purchase :-) It's much, much easier to use and far better value, it's reusable: I paid 40 yoyos including delivery.

Sweet Jaysus the things we do. I would literally try anything to become a mum x

Where did you get the saliva opk from? Do you swab every day? I got inositol aswell but stopped taking it as I'm metformin and not sure if I can take both, ill need to look into it.
    Another day another pregnancy announcement, this time it was their first month of not preventing, so happy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭babydream

Where did you get the saliva opk from? Do you swab every day? I got inositol aswell but stopped taking it as I'm metformin and not sure if I can take both, ill need to look into it.
    Another day another pregnancy announcement, this time it was their first month of not preventing, so happy for them.

That drives me mad when people feel the need to share that information, I feel like smacking people like that:eek: I also had another announcement in work yesterday of course im so happy for them but my god im so jealous and hate myself for it:( Its getting harder and harder to fight back the tears each time there is an announcement. That is 7 pregnant women in work now, Im struggling big time to come to work now but bills have to be paid!!!!

I’ll pm you with the details for the salvia opk. I do it daily when I finish my period up until I’ve ovulated. It’s very handy.

I’m so sorry about another announcement, allow yourself to feel all of the associated emotions. We are only human, and the green-eyed monster is very real. When we want something so badly it hurts, it’s normal to feel the way we do. I really, truly feel your pain. Please know you’re not alone on this journey and in feeling the way you do x

• Advertisement

babydream wrote: »
    That drives me mad when people feel the need to share that information, I feel like smacking people like that:eek: I also had another announcement in work yesterday of course im so happy for them but my god im so jealous and hate myself for it:( Its getting harder and harder to fight back the tears each time there is an announcement. That is 7 pregnant women in work now, Im struggling big time to come to work now but bills have to be paid!!!!

I’m feeling your pain on this one babydream, I’m with you all the way. Don’t hate yourself for being jealous, it’s perfectly normal. It’s good to know we have each other through this. I’ve started avoiding people who are pregnant or ask me when we’re going to start a family, I understand you can’t do that when you work with these people. I really do feel for you, I’m sure it feels like it’s being rubbed in your face. Please stay strong, your time will come. Vent here anytime, we def get where you’re coming from.

The only positive I can see from this horrendous journey, is that it has completely changed my view of the world and some people. I will never ask people about starting a family, the hurt and the pain in asking such insensitive questions is mind blowing. I would hate to think that my insensitivity could cause such hurt, anger, feelings of worthlessness and devastation x

There are so many pregnancy bumps around, all i have is a balloon bloated belly from metformin.
    I don't know if you ladies can relate but whenever I say I'm sick, meet a friend or aren't drinking alcohol then I get asked if I'm pregnant.
    I get paranoid when im bloated aswell that people will think its a bump.

Actually the most uncomfortable is when people in work as me as i like to keep my personal life separate from my job. I think its really bizarre women asking me about it generally its from girls 18-22 age or middle aged women. I find it really strange as i won't ask people intrusive questions but seems like people are quite nosy /gossipy here.
    Also there is a really high women to men ratio, and actually prefer working with men as they tend not to ask these things and conversation is more general like tv shows etc
    My DH has gotten some questions himself off his friends who have children but he makes a joke and gets off the topic. I get awkward.
    Why is it once your married the whole world seems to think its a countdown to baby?

My most recent situation was asking me after pur honeymoon ' what's next a baby?'
    I said I'm excited for Christmas and doing some projects around the home, then i let the moment be awkward. My colleague was shocked that she'd ask me that. Bear in mind these are all people who I'm only on 'doing anything nice for the weekend terms with' and that is as far conversation has gone.
    I'm got at responses to baby question, how do you handle it @babydream@ Busy nurse?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RascalGal

I can't get over the inappropriate questions and comments that I got both before and after we conceived. I know we're lucky to have a baby on the way but that doesn't mean I want to share this struggle with gossipy individuals who have either no filter or manners. I recently visited a friend who had a baby and she made a comment that I was "catching up" with everyone now that I was pregnant.
    Another girl I don't know as well asked me "when we had started trying?" after we shared our good news. These are people who I just don't wish to be around anymore.
    I've also been told in as much detail as possible how quick and easy people have conceived....
    And of course you can't say anything because you're afraid of your life that they will realise you're having trouble and hence go forth and tell every one who'll listen..

In response to the nosy colleagues and friends could you respond with something that will make them uncomfortable..e.g could you say "actually we can't afford to start a family at the moment. We're struggling financially"...and then watch them squirm as they try to get off the topic..

Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I'm lucky enough not to have struggled through fertility problems, but it took my parents 8 years to conceive, and this was in the 80s where if you were married with no kids, it was seriously unusual. My mum used to reply with, "unfortunately no babies yet, but we're having fun practising!". Lighthearted enough not to be awkward, but gently letting them know that they are TTC and hence future questions aren't really appropriate.

RascalGal wrote: »
    I can't get over the inappropriate questions and comments that I got both before and after we conceived. I know we're lucky to have a baby on the way but that doesn't mean I want to share this struggle with gossipy individuals who have either no filter or manners. I recently visited a friend who had a baby and she made a comment that I was "catching up" with everyone now that I was pregnant.
    Another girl I don't know as well asked me "when we had started trying?" after we shared our good news. These are people who I just don't wish to be around anymore.
    I've also been told in as much detail as possible how quick and easy people have conceived....
    And of course you can't say anything because you're afraid of your life that they will realise you're having trouble and hence go forth and tell every one who'll listen..

In response to the nosy colleagues and friends could you respond with something that will make them uncomfortable..e.g could you say "actually we can't afford to start a family at the moment. We're struggling financially"...and then watch them squirm as they try to get off the topic..

Just a thought
    That's a good one! Thanks will try that! Let them feel awkward

Why are people so obsessed with saying how long they were trying jesus it's not a contest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

There are so many pregnancy bumps around, all i have is a balloon bloated belly from metformin.
    I don't know if you ladies can relate but whenever I say I'm sick, meet a friend or aren't drinking alcohol then I get asked if I'm pregnant.

Actually the most uncomfortable is when people in work as me as i like to keep my personal life separate from my job. I think its really bizarre women asking me about it generally its from girls 18-22 age or middle aged women. I find it really strange as i won't ask people intrusive questions but seems like people are quite nosy /gossipy here.
    Also there is a really high women to men ratio, and actually prefer working with men as they tend not to ask these things and conversation is more general like tv shows etc
    My DH has gotten some questions himself off his friends who have children but he makes a joke and gets off the topic. I get awkward.
    Why is it once your married the whole world seems to think its a countdown to baby?

My most recent situation was asking me after pur honeymoon ' what's next a baby?'
    I said I'm excited for Christmas and doing some projects around the home, then i let the moment be awkward. My colleague was shocked that she'd ask me that. Bear in mind these are all people who I'm only on 'doing anything nice for the weekend terms with' and that is as far conversation has gone.
    I'm got at responses to baby question, how do you handle it @babydream@ Busy nurse?

I usually say sure we are enjoying time with each other and having fun - we have great hols and all that why would we tie ourselves down just yet??

We are married 3 years so I think I’ve drummed it out of everyone at this stage who asked.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sorry girls, I don't normally come through here, but I noticed some of the posts about responses to the "family/kids" question....my husband used to say to people something along the lines of 'let's talk about how your sex life is" or "how many times a week do you have sex?" when people asked us those questions.It was funny but he was quite serious about it.Having watched a close family member go through the heartbreak of infertility (in her case) when I was a teen, I would never ever consider asking people about it, so it was quite annoying and surprising to be asked about it myself.
    Just a thought on another approach to take to your response.

shesty wrote: »
    Sorry girls, I don't normally come through here, but I noticed some of the posts about responses to the "family/kids" question....my husband used to say to people something along the lines of 'let's talk about how your sex life is" or "how many times a week do you have sex?" when people asked us those questions.It was funny but he was quite serious about it.Having watched a close family member go through the heartbreak of infertility (in her case) when I was a teen, I would never ever consider asking people about it, so it was quite annoying and surprising to be asked about it myself.

Very creative...ask them inappropriate questions and see how they react. Or you could start listing things you have to tick off your bucket list before babies...e.g buy a house, a once in a lifetime trip elsewhere etc. Then say.."when that's all done we might think about babies"

shesty wrote: »
    Omg your DH is a scream, that's brill

Im lucky in that family don't ask questions about this, ive a cousin who tried for 8 years before she had her bundle of joy so I think they learned from that experience!!

My husbands friend got married just before us and he just told my husband at the weekend they are struggling TTC. Been trying since they got married and nothing happening. So we are meeting for dinner in a couple of weeks, will be nice we can all chat about it!

In work I just reply with "Sure why would I do that when all you do is complain about your kids and being tired" they usually shut up pretty quickly after that!

But the next idiot in here that asks I gonna reply with "Any tips, since you just pregnant by looking at him"

Im lucky in that family don't ask questions about this, ive a cousin who tried for 8 years before she had her bundle of joy so I think they learned from that experience!!

My husbands friend got married just before us and he just told my husband at the weekend they are struggling TTC. Been trying since they got married and nothing happening. So we are meeting for dinner in a couple of weeks, will be nice we can all chat about it!

In work I just reply with "Sure why would I do that when all you do is complain about your kids and being tired" they usually shut up pretty quickly after that!

But the next idiot in here that asks I gonna reply with "Any tips, since you just pregnant by looking at him"

Oooh...I like that one about them complaining about their kids. Thats cutting enough to shut them up alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

RascalGal wrote:
    Oooh...I like that one about them complaining about their kids. Thats cutting enough to shut them up alright

Agreed. A colleague of mine had a stillbirth (expected due to FFA) and a miscarriage in the past 3 years, and is open about the fact they're still ttc, yet we have a$$hole colleagues who complain about "the baby years" /lack of sleep/"oh I'd NEVER go back there"...the insensitivity is incredible.

Wishing lots of love and luck to all of you ttc xox

• Registered Users Posts: 10 suzb2

That's a great response Babydream. I'm fed gonna use that. I'm surrounded by bumps in work, in my group of friends and my sister. I'm constantly being asked if there is 'any news'... it takes all my energy not to burst into tears.
    Don't know how people can be so incredibly insensitive. Before we were having problems ttc, I would never dream of asking somebody such a personal question. It really beggars belief.
    AF due next Monday. Really trying not to think about it but I'm finding it difficult. I've gone for so many walks/s runs trying to take my mind off it that I'm sure my neighbours think I've a screw loose at this stage.
    I'm still waiting for an appointment from the coombe to see if my tubes are blocked. It's taking ages.. I'm wondering if a doctor can prescribe Clomid or does it have to be from the consultant?? If anybody could let me know, I'd appreciate it. Getting mixed answers when I Google it!

suzb2 wrote: »
    That's a great response Babydream. I'm fed gonna use that. I'm surrounded by bumps in work, in my group of friends and my sister. I'm constantly being asked if there is 'any news'... it takes all my energy not to burst into tears.
    Don't know how people can be so incredibly insensitive. Before we were having problems ttc, I would never dream of asking somebody such a personal question. It really beggars belief.
    AF due next Monday. Really trying not to think about it but I'm finding it difficult. I've gone for so many walks/s runs trying to take my mind off it that I'm sure my neighbours think I've a screw loose at this stage.
    I'm still waiting for an appointment from the coombe to see if my tubes are blocked. It's taking ages.. I'm wondering if a doctor can prescribe Clomid or does it have to be from the consultant?? If anybody could let me know, I'd appreciate it. Getting mixed answers when I Google it!

I have my fingers crossed for you Suzb2. Sending you baby dust. You're right to try and distract yourself and the excercise will benefit you either way!
    I was prescribed clomid by my GP. When I first went to her after 6 months ttc she outlined the steps she would take... so I'm had to try the following in order

Pregnacare conception (Was already taking this) + a fish oil supplement
    Get day 3 & 21 bloods done
    Advised to take a maca supplement
    Hubby to get semen analysis done (came back perfect)

Then after all that she put me on 3 months 50mg clomid last November. But she did talk about Clomid at the 1st visit back in June.

Is your doc reluctant to prescribe it?

I have my fingers crossed for you Suzb2. Sending you baby dust. You're right to try and distract yourself and the excercise will benefit you either way!
    I was prescribed clomid by my GP. When I first went to her after 6 months ttc she outlined the steps she would take... so I'm had to try the following in order

Pregnacare conception (Was already taking this) + a fish oil supplement
    Get day 3 & 21 bloods done
    Advised to take a maca supplement
    Hubby to get semen analysis done (came back perfect)

Then after all that she put me on 3 months 50mg clomid last November. But she did talk about Clomid at the 1st visit back in June.

Is your doc reluctant to prescribe it?

She doesn't seem keen. She wants me to get my tubes checked for blockages and for the gyno to prescribe it for me at that app. I've gotten my bloods done last Aug. Everything was fine. From a previous scan for a different issue, I know I don't have PCOS thankfully. My husband has been checked too and all is well there. We're both on procieve for the last 6 months. I'm starting accupuncture in a fortnights time. Clomid seems to be the next thing to do and I just want to go do it now. These months of waiting seem like a big waste of time. It's very frustrating. My patience is wearing thin unfortunately.. :-(

• Advertisement

She doesn't seem keen. She wants me to get my tubes checked for blockages and for the gyno to prescribe it for me at that app. I've gotten my bloods done last Aug. Everything was fine. From a previous scan for a different issue, I know I don't have PCOS thankfully. My husband has been checked too and all is well there. We're both on procieve for the last 6 months. I'm starting accupuncture in a fortnights time. Clomid seems to be the next thing to do and I just want to go do it now. These months of waiting seem like a big waste of time. It's very frustrating. My patience is wearing thin unfortunately.. :-(

I get where your coming from. I was eager to start it too when nothing was happening. The only thing is and it makes sense when you think about it..if you have blocked tubes, taking clomid won't help you conceive. The blockage will have to be dealt with first. I think someone else on this thread said that and when I thought about it, it made perfect sense. I've since wondered why my GP gave me the prescription to easily and never mentioned the possibility of blocked tubes. Obviously I didn't have that problem but she didn't know that before prescribing clomid....Maybe your GP is ruling out everything before going the prescription route. The wait is so frustrating I know but if the problem does happen to be blocked tubes you will probably conceive straight away once blockage is removed. And then if you want another baby in the future you probably won't have any problems next time round...

I get where your coming from. I was eager to start it too when nothing was happening. The only thing is and it makes sense when you think about it..if you have blocked tubes, taking clomid won't help you conceive. The blockage will have to be dealt with first. I think someone else on this thread said that and when I thought about it, it made perfect sense. I've since wondered why my GP gave me the prescription to easily and never mentioned the possibility of blocked tubes. Obviously I didn't have that problem but she didn't know that before prescribing clomid....Maybe your GP is ruling out everything before going the prescription route. The wait is so frustrating I know but if the problem does happen to be blocked tubes you will probably conceive straight away once blockage is removed. And then if you want another baby in the future you probably won't have any problems next time round...

That's true actually. Didn't think of it like that. I hope it is blocked tubes. At least I'd know then and can do something about it. It's the not knowing that's driving me insane.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That's true actually. Didn't think of it like that. I hope it is blocked tubes. At least I'd know then and can do something about it. It's the not knowing that's driving me insane.

Anecdotally after the HSG xray, there's a slightly higher than usual chance of conception. The working theory is that the dye flushes out any tiny things (such as traces of endo) that might hinder ordinary conception and leaves the way clear for the sperm to meet the egg.

Neyite wrote: »
    Anecdotally after the HSG xray, there's a slightly higher than usual chance of conception. The working theory is that the dye flushes out any tiny things (such as traces of endo) that might hinder ordinary conception and leaves the way clear for the sperm to meet the egg.

That's great to know. Thank you. Def can't wait to get the appointment now!! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Great to read other people’s experiences. Myself and my husband have been TTC for 13 months now and nothing. I have slightly irregular periods 32-40 days.
    Been to SIMS and they said best way is straight to IVF, best success but we don’t want to jump there straight away.
    They said it could still happen naturally???
    They recommended for my to have a SIS done
    Tempted to go to my doctor and prescribe clomid/letrozole and see if that works and then maybe go back to the clinic after Christmas. So hard waiting

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Great to read other people’s experiences. Myself and my husband have been TTC for 13 months now and nothing. I have slightly irregular periods 32-40 days.
    Been to SIMS and they said best way is straight to IVF, best success but we don’t want to jump there straight away.
    Tempted to go to my doctor and prescribe clomid/letrozole and see if that works and then maybe go back to the clinic after Christmas. So hard waiting

Wow straight to IVF! That's incredible and exactly why myself and my husband are so hesitant in going down that road. It's a big business that I don't want to be part of unless I really really really have to!
    I hope things work out for you soon. It's awful waiting. It's the hardest part!

Jwacqui wrote: »

What age are you? Straight to IVF after 13 months seems very quick!!! We are trying twice that length and nowhere near ready to start IVF. Its a very emotional journey and something both of us need to be in the right head space with before we even think of IVF!!

Have you had all your blood tests done? Are you ovulating?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 squigglyd

We were also recommended to go straight to IVF with ICSI rather than trying other methods like IUI first - though we could have chosen to do that if we wanted to.
    The reason the doctor gave us for recommending IVF was that we had been trying for a long time (8 months, both over 35), nothing in our test results showed any obvious issues but nothing was happening. Aside from giving a better chance at success, they can learn from monitoring you during the IVF process if there are any other issues that need to be looked at. E.g. my womb lining was quite thin so I am on supplements for that, the egg quality wasn't great so although that might have been a direct result of the estrogen during treatment I am also on a supplement to try to improve the egg quality (not sure how successful that is likely to be). IVF might sound very drastic, for me I could hardly believe that we had reached a point where we needed IVF already but due to my age, 39 when we began consulting, 40 by the time we had the treatment, there was no reason to waste more time and every reason to just get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Ive had blood test done and nothing obvious showed up apart from my thyroid being under active. The consultant said I am most likely ovulating but at different times each month. He said once we are DTD regularly (we are every 2-3 days as recommended) that we should have been pregnant by now.
    The clinic don’t use medication like clomid (said they aren’t great and are often not enough) for TSI and IUI they use injections and trigger shots which can overstimulate or under stimulate for PCOS. He said this can mean that a lot of cycles end dup cancelled and we won’t learn anything about my cycle but they can learn from monitoring you during the IVF process if there are any other issues that need to be looked at as said above.
    This is why he recommended IVF, best success and we can learn from the process.
    He said we could do 3 rounds of IUI and it could take 9 months with cycles cancelled etc but with IVF they can collect all the eggs if over stimulated so it’s easier to control.
    They were not pushy and said to think about things, go away and if we weren’t in a rush wait another 6-12 months try naturally and come back if nothing happened. Hard to know what to do.
    Just to add I’m 30 and my husband is 34.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I'd be inclined to do OI or IUI first just to see how you react to the injections. I done three rounds of OI and only one was cancelled. I then got pregnant on the first round if IUI. I wasn't ovulating at all so you might be luckier and you just need to strengthen ovulation.

Advertisement