Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHIPS scheme?

Options
  • 04-03-2018 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I remember hearing before about something called the SHIPS scheme (at least I think that's what it was called), where a homeowner could sell a proportion of the property to a financial institution, to be used for renovations etc.

I had a look online but couldn't find anything - is there something like this out there?

Someone I know is a homeowner but is struggling financially and the house could really do with renovations including insulation etc.

It's in a desirable area with similar properties listed for around 375k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Thats UK i believe.

You are describing whats called equity release. Does your friend own their house with no mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Thats UK i believe.

You are describing whats called equity release. Does your friend own their house with no mortgage?

Thanks, yes they do own their house outright with no mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Im not a finance guy but I know there are very few providers of this out there (BOI is the only bank I know that does it).

You can start here:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money/mortgages/equity-release/

Advertisement