Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price difference: Solo v family flyers

Options
  • 04-03-2018 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi all

While checking for flights abroad on the Ryanair site, I made a mistake on the first page and put in just me instead of the whole family.

When I went back and put in the whole family, the price per adult increased by almost €40 each way and the kids flights were €30 dearer than the solo adult price.

Anyone know why the family price is penalised over a solo flyer?

I'm hoping for an answer better than "Because they can" ;)

G

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Try clearing your memory/cookies, that sometimes makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Seats are sold in batches and time. So 1 person buying a seat will get one price, a group buying a few minutes later will be looking at more seats so could go into the next seat batch and the original seat could have been sold by the time you checked again.

If in doubt check in ingocnito mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

It happens when there are more people than available seats at that price level. They will then charge everyone the higher rate. You can counter this by making 2 booking. Lets say there are 3 seats left at that rate, then book 3 people and then make another booking for the rest. Thats what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Garvan

Del2005 wrote: »
    Seats are sold in batches and time. So 1 person buying a seat will get one price, a group buying a few minutes later will be looking at more seats so could go into the next seat batch and the original seat could have been sold by the time you checked again.

If in doubt check in ingocnito mode.

Checked a few times using a vpn so it's def not batch selling. It's just family v solo discrimination😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Garvan

Booked and sorted.

Admins can close now if desired!

G

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Garvan wrote: »
    Anyone know why the family price is penalised over a solo flyer?

I'm hoping for an answer better than "Because they can" ;)

There might be only one ticket left at the cheaper price.

If you book as a group, you all will get the same price - so more expensive for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

There's a chance that your fares might become significantly more expensive during the process of booking 8x1 way flights.

Also the chances are high you could make a mistake

And if anything goes wrong with the outgoing leg (e.g. your flights were cancelled) then you lose the legs you booked on the way back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Garvan wrote: »
    kids flights

Kids folks. Kids.

When you book with children and adults together the system automatically adds a seat purchase (optional extra for others) so that 1 adult + all the kids at least sit together. This stops the drama on embarkation when little timmy is in 36A and mommy is in 1A because mommy is tight as can be.

If the OP bypassed this the saving will be wiped out upon checkin when they pay for seat selection.

Advertisement