Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What caliber is 220 ins? And any recommendations for a new .22lr

Options
  • 04-03-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

So I'm looking around for a new .22lr to replace my Remington 597. On McBrides website I keep seeing rifles with a caliber of .220 ins but when I google it all I get is links back to McBrides, is this just a typo and actually .22lr?
    Second question is does anybody have any recommendations for a new .22lr? I'd be willing to spend about €1000 total including whatever I get for my 597. I'm leaning towards a bolt action. Main use would be for rabbits but I might venture into a bit of Target shooting as I joined a range last year. Either way accuracy out of the box is my main desire. I like stainless barrels but then I don't want the glare off the barrel to hinder any hunting I'd be doing. I prefer synthetic look stocks too. I've been looking at the usual 455's and 10/22s, leaning more towards the 455.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Could be a 220 swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

I don't think so, the action and magazine just look too small to me, saying that I'm not sure either.
    https://mcbrides.ie/collections/rimfire-rifles/products/cz455-lux-220-ins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

its a .22lr or a .22 mag
    More likely a .22magunm as they have .22lr listed on their website also.
    The webmaster obviously is not gun savvy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Some of the older makers, a lot of British ones like BSA or Webley, used to stamp the barrels .220" rather than .22lr.

Drop Jim an email and ask him.

It's probably a 22lr though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭zeissman

If your not in a hurry the new tikka t1x rimfire should be available shortly.
    It looks good with a med weight barrel and the action has the same footprint as the tikka centre fire rifles so you could change the stock easily if you wanted. I think it will around 600 euro.
    The cz rifles are very good also.
    I have a sako quad myself and its very accurate but I did have to get some work done on it so that it would feed and eject all available ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Have a good look at the Sako rifles and Anschutz as well, both superior to the CZ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Kran wrote: »
    is this just a typo and actually .22lr?

yes - god bless him, but Jim has the caliber tags all messed up all over the place on that website.
    Second question is does anybody have any recommendations for a new .22lr? I'd be willing to spend about €1000 total including whatever I get for my 597. I'm leaning towards a bolt action.

Loads! :D

but in light of this:
    ...accuracy out of the box is my main desire.

then the T1x as the lads have mentioned will be well worth a look when it arrives. Great brand with a great reputation, and it ticks all of your boxes wrt stainless finish and synthetic stock. It also uses T3 series fittings which means that pretty much anything that will accessorise Tikka's short action centerfire rifle, will also work with it. I'll definitely be taking a very close look at one as soon as I can (even in light of what follows below) because there really are some very nice features in that stock.

Short of the Tikka though, with the sort of budget you're considering, then if you're happy to spend that sum on just the rifle, and you want to buy new, then this is arguably the best bolt action repeater that you can buy straight off the shelf - bar none. The '54 action has been an Olympic mainstay for decades and has more competition accolades than any other I'm aware of.

That being said, the above has a non-threaded 22" barrel which makes for a relatively heavy field carry that's longer than ideal. Hence my choice would be (and has been) its 64 actioned 'cheaper' brother - that would be this one. Now I'll grant you, I do have a '54 as well, but if I were to have only one, then it would be this one. The difference in accuracy is something that would only ever be noticed in target competition, and even then only on a target with a relatively small 10-ring and using very high grade ammo.

What you get for this minor accuracy trade off is a short bull barrel. In my case this means that mine wears a PH1 mod all the time and even with that on it's basically a 20" rig; and because the bull barrel is short, it weigh about the same as a 20" tapered barrel. The end result is a very easy walking moderated rifle that's very stable in unsupported field positions and still has accuracy to within a 1/4" of a '54 action at 50m (and for whatever it's worth I use Eley Edge almost exclusively).

Now I've linked outdoorsports in both instances above simply because they have them in stock - I'm not trying to direct you to any specific dealer and I'm certainly not suggesting that you have to buy new - if you can find either of those rifles secondhand (as both of mine are) then I'd absolutely advise snapping them up.

Personally I wouldn't opt for the 10/22 as even if you did go ahead and tune it up to the extent permitted by your budget, it's always going to be a semi-auto which means it's never going to come within an ass's roar of the accuracy of a decent bolt action (fanfolk this is not a jab at the 10/22, it's a simple fact). That said, if you want a semi-auto, then it's definitely the one to go for.

People are going to direct you towards CZ - and CZ are incredibly good value rifles at their price point, and I have heard stories of them shooting as well and as easily as Anschutz. That's not been my experience of them, which isn't to say that they aren't excellent rifles - merely that your budget can take you to the next tier. ;)

Now all of the above aside, with that budget you could also go for a decent secondhand CZ and some *very* nice glass either - IMHO however, I'd invest in the high grade rifle and let the glass follow in time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Baker.22 wrote: »
    Have a good look at the Sako rifles and Anschutz as well, both superior to the CZ

In what way ?

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's making it harder to decide rather than easier. Anschutz seems to be the name coming out on top over and over again everywhere I look and that 64 model that Extremetaz mentioned is very appealing, especially so the length. Saying that the new Tikka is exactly what I had in mind, I really love the look of it. I'm in no rush really but any idea when this will be available over here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Anschutz is the last word in accuracy in my experience. However, a good CZ 452/455 will give it one helluva close race. That Anschutz with the short barrel in the link above could very well be a tackdriver, from the looks of it.

Just don't run Stingers through whatever you buy, they're really not worth all the cleaning (copper fouling, more often associated with centrefire rounds - if you must use high velocity, Velociraptors (from CCI also) will do everything without copper fouling and with much better long-range accuracy than Stingers).

If you want superb accuracy, any Anschutz in new or very good condition will shoot standard velocity ammo into one raggedy hole at 50m.

gunny123 wrote: »
    In what way ?

Smoother action & better trigger out of the box.
    (Anschutz barrel goes without saying)

Only thing the CZ has on the Anschutz in my estimation is the safety can be operated silently - which is hard to achieve with the '64 actioned models, and the modern '54's which no longer have the old flag setup.

that 64 model that Extremetaz mentioned is very appealing, especially so the length.

Bullseye is on in the MNSCI on the 14th of April and I'm expecting to be at that one (won't make the one next week). If you want a decent look at it, come along - and sure while you're at it you might as well bring your Remi for the craic and give it a go. ;)
    Saying that the new Tikka is exactly what I had in mind, I really love the look of it. I'm in no rush really but any idea when this will be available over here?

That new Tikka is something that I'd very much like a go of as well - has the potential to be an incredible rifle if they don't build it down a mid-market price point. If I were in your shoes I'd wait for a look at it too. I've no idea who's going to bring it in first though or at what price.

extremetaz wrote: »
    Smoother action & better trigger out of the box.
    (Anschutz barrel goes without saying)

Agreed. The trigger was the let down on my CZ. Other than that, it was a great rifle. Not too fussy about ammo. Especially loved the CCI MiniMags.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dSleeper

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's making it harder to decide rather than easier. Anschutz seems to be the name coming out on top over and over again everywhere I look and that 64 model that Extremetaz mentioned is very appealing, especially so the length. Saying that the new Tikka is exactly what I had in mind, I really love the look of it. I'm in no rush really but any idea when this will be available over here?
    I rang the UK distributor..which also does Ireland this morning, and they said that the will ship them more or less to shops in the order they were ordered. He said some will go out late in April, but most likely May. He said the way things look, it will depend on how many they get initially,  but that there is a huge demand which will slow down on its initial availability,

dSleeper wrote: »
    I rang the UK distributor..which also does Ireland this morning, and they said that the will ship them more or less to shops in the order they were ordered. He said some will go out late in April, but most likely May. He said the way things look, it will depend on how many they get initially,  but that there is a huge demand which will slow down on its initial availability,
    Thanks, I'm gonna get on it this weekend so. I'm not in a major panic but might aswell get the ball rolling and be first on the list. It's pretty much exactly what I want.
    Can I ask are you going for the 16 or 20 inch barrel? I'd prefere a shorter rifle myself

Advertisement