Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about next year..

Options
  • 04-03-2018 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm currently in 5th year and I'm wondering regards 6th year, how much different everything will be? What will the workload be like and in terms of study how much is expected that I should be doing?

I've heard how difficult next year is from friends in leaving cert (as well as CAO, college, etc on top of schoolwork), but are they being dramatic? What am I to expect going in next september? I'd be grateful for some feedback :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jmb2k02

As someone who is doing the Leaving Cert, you'd want to do some serious study in 6th year from September onwards, probably 2 - 3 hours per day if you can and definitely take time to study on the weekend. It definitely stops you from freaking out before Mocks and especially before June. If you're doing languages, it's a good idea to have all oral work prepared now and practice it well before the Orals start. In regards to Irish, have your grammar perfected as you lose so many marks for grammar mistakes in essays, and have the Sraiths you have done so far learnt off, in the sense that you have enough Irish in your head to keep you going in the exam as it's nearly impossible to learn all 20 by heart! Take time, however to have a relaxing activity to fall back on when you're stressed, and don't spend all your time studying - see friends, go walking, that sort of thing. A word of advice - don't look at the Leaving as a giant mountain, but as a series of hills that you must climb (approach each part in steps). It isn't a walk in the park in terms of difficulty, it is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Good advice just above.

I'd also add that working consistently THIS year will make next year much easier! I'm not suggesting that you kill yourself this year (you'll only be fed up of the sight of the books by May 2019!), just make sure you do the work assigned properly and put in the odd extra hour here and there revising the work you've covered to make sure you understand it and are familiar with it.

Advertisement