Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you been affected by alcoholism?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    Everyone is addicted to something.
    10 years from now kids will be acting out because dad was always on the laptop or Xbox. Get on with it your parents weren’t perfect human beings learn how to be better in yourself and stop blaming other people you came into contact with as a cop out.
    Two possibilities.

(a) You’re being a dick.
    (b) You need that to be true.

If (a), stop.
    If (b), seek help. Hopefully with the correct intervention, you may stop posting like a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Some harrowing stories on this thread. My heart goes out to anyone suffering the consequences of alcoholism. Its a terrible and insidious thing. My mother was married to one for a while (not my dad) and some of my earliest memories are of him being drunk and violent and abusive towards us. I know my mam feels guilty about that to this day but I appreciate that she got us away from him. Despite his threats to find us, I don't think he ever bothered trying thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    Everyone is addicted to something.
    10 years from now kids will be acting out because dad was always on the laptop or Xbox. Get on with it your parents weren’t perfect human beings learn how to be better in yourself and stop blaming other people you came into contact with as a cop out.

Wow is all I can say .. nobody is suggesting parents need to be perfect but unless you’ve been there you’ve no idea the lasting effects of dealing with an alcoholic day in day out.. and not just one parent but two.. and for nearly 30 years) and it’s still ongoing)

I don’t blame them for anything at all, yes I had little if any youth, haven’t had ‘parents’ since I was around 9 , my sister and I became the adults .. but Im lucky.. god only knows how but I’ve a good job, am comfortable, have a nice home etc., but the effects are still there .. torment, anger and tremdenous sadness for the family life I could have .. should have had..

I have a million and one stories over the last 30 years of my ‘family’ life and incidents .. and no I wasn’t expecting perfect parents .. but I did deserve some form of parents as do all kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Stonepilot, I don't have enough experience or knowledge about alcohol addiction to talk specifically about AA and the disease model they subscribe to, or how right or wrong or harmful that is. All I really know is what I've seen with my own eyes, that which is known the world over as alcoholism, if we want to go with "alcohol addiction" because it's less offensive then Im all for it. You could spend your life trail blazing on that particular campaign though. Glad to hear you've found your own way of recovering and I've no doubt that you've fought hard for it.

AA seems to work for many people. My uncle has been sober for 10 years now and goes to meetings twice a week. He recently came through stage 4 cancer and it's what kept him sober throughout. I've only really known him since he started AA, before that he floated in and out of our lives leaving chaos and destruction in his wake.

My former OH gave it a few weeks and then said it wasn't for him, the same words as you actually - too cultish, too intense. That was probably just as much the addiction talking at that point as anything else, as other avenues were shot down fairly quickly too. He just wasn't ready to call it a day. He might never be.

I kind of agree with this. AA works for some but doesnt eork for others. I dont buy the wholesale absolutist attitude that it eorks for everyone and it works for noone.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I have trouble thinking of it as a disease. I think that helps abdicate helping oneself.

And I don’t know about it being outwardly invisible. I think young alcoholics can hide it more because youth is on their side. But with age, the skin of alcoholics often takes on a characteristic papery quality, especially female alcoholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

My dad is an alcoholic. He has been an alcoholic since before I was born.

He grew up in Mayo and when he moved to Dublin, he started working in bars and went on to eventually manage a few. This would have been in the 70s and 80s. He actually met my mother while working in a bar as she was waitressing at the time. I remember as a child, my dad always smelled like alcohol but I thought that was because he worked in a pub.

Anyway, I'm not sure of the origins of his alcoholism. My grandparents were not big drinkers. My dad came from a big family, 10 siblings, 3 sisters and 7 brothers and out of the siblings, one sister would be a high functioning alcoholic and 2 brothers are alcoholics.
    My father isn't a nasty alcoholic, doesn't get angry, doesn't fight in public but he is an alcoholic. One of his brothers is quite a nasty drunk, has gotten into fights, been arrested, treats his wife VERY badly, I don't know if he has ever hit her but there would be a lot of verbal abuse.

My parents upped and moved us from Dublin to Kerry when I was 5. I have never really known the reason, maybe my mother thought it would prevent my dad from drinking as much but at that time, the early 90s, there wasn't a whole lot else to do living in rural Ireland.

My parents have always fought, since I was born. I have a scar above my top lip from when my mother threw a heavy glass ashtray at my dad while I was sitting on his lap. I was 2 and a half. As I said, my dad isn't a nasty alcoholic and never mistreated us children but my mother is an extremely mentally unwell woman. I know some people might not agree with me but I believe my mother's mental illness made my dad's drinking worse. He used it as a coping mechanism.
    From their fights that I can remember, she used to scream at him and goad him, I remember her hitting him and trying to get him to hit her. She used to scream at him pretty much all the time. She would wreck the house, breaking things and then, the next day, blame it on my dad.
    The only time my dad is much of a talker is when my mother isn't there or he has been drinking.

Every Christmas was ruined. I used to blame my dad, sure if he just hadn't gone to the pub, everything would have been fine but that wasn't true. My mother would pull down the decorations, burn the dinner, go to bed for days on end. I used to be so jealous of the pictures on Christmas cards, Christmas was perfect on a Christmas card.

I think the worst thing they ever did was move to Kerry. Once they moved to Kerry, we lived in a very rural area and my mother couldn't drive so she was quite cut off and her mental illness became worse. However, I think she played the martyr a bit about this because, I remember my dad trying to teach her how to drive many times and she just ended up screaming at him.
    Once we moved to Kerry, my mother refused to make friends, get involved with locals, wouldn't let my sister and I go to friend's houses and started isolating us top. Then she started abusing us more regularly.
    It had always happened but it got much worse after we moved. She started hitting us all the time for no reason, screaming at us all the time, verbally abusing us, mentally abusing us, not feeding us etc and my dad withdrew into himself even further and spent even more time in the pub because, who could blame him, he didn't want to be around her.

I hate my dad sometimes for not doing more to rescue us from our mother but alcoholism is a tough thing to deal with. I hate my mother all day every day, she made my childhood hell, she took it away from me. She beat me, she mentally tortured me, she used to call me fat and ugly, she sent me on school trips with no money, I spent days with no food in my belly.
    My dad was always very generous but, as he wasn't at home a lot, he didn't notice we were going without food.

My mother never had a nice word to say about my dad, ever. I don't like that. She refuses to accept that she is severely unwell and doesn't understand alcoholism beyond "your father is an asshole".

My dad was never really properly present until I was in my midteens when he started to cut down on his drinking and start his own business. In fairness to him, he has maintained that business for nearly 15 years now. He still drinks but definitely not the way he used to.

Oh I just wanted to add that my best and happiest memories as a child were with my dad. We had an old Renault 5 and he used to freewheel it down hills and turn the steering wheel so we'd be flying around the place, it was great fun and I remember really laughing.
    He used to bring us to the beach and bought us chips and a fizzy drink (we got nothing at home) and would bury us in sand and actually play with us and be involved with us. On the way home, he would of course stop in a pub and we'd get crisps and fizzy drinks and he'd drink a pint or 2, and then he would drive home but him drink driving on those occasions didn't matter to me as a child, that didn't mean we didn't have fun. He eventually stopped bringing us to the beach because, every time he got home, my mother used to scream at him.

I've an uncle who is a raging alcoholic, and it's probably only thanks to my mother that he still has a career. That's obviously a stress she doesn't need in her life. It hasn't impacted me directly.

I worked in an off-license for a time and that was a real eye opener. Guys who I knew to be in good professional jobs on their second bottle of port by midday, middle-aged women buying shoulders of vodka as soon as the place opened that would vanish into their handbags the second they were scanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Clair4

Ya alcoholism runs in my family seems to be a male thing though my father , his father ,uncles and my brothers all abusive &violent ... Nicest people you'd meet sober though , spent most of my childhood in tears .. my mum doesn't drink much think I get my genes from her .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Some very sad stories here. Particularly harrowing where kids are involved.

My mother was a high functioning alcoholic and hid it for decades. She died when I was in my late teens and the truth only came out (to me) then. She died of an anuerysm that led to strokes. While she was in a coma, the surgeon asked me if she had a history of alcohol abuse - I didn't know what he was on about. He said she had what's known as Athletes Heart - where the heart becomes enlarged and also severe cirrhosis of the liver.

Then I remembered all the times I'd found large bottles of vodkas stashed around the house. I'd always thought they were my older sister's. I used to pour them out and fill them with water to annoy her! I remember the times that it was very very hard to wake my mother and times at family get togethers where she seemed extra silly, slurry. She always had tons of mints in her bag, she hardly ate at all but was not as skinny as expected.

When I look back at photos I can see that in later years her face is puffy and lots of burst veins. She had become shaky and refused to go to any doctors for any illness.

Anyway, it all came out with extended family that this had been going on probably 30 years and she hid it unbelievably well. She used to fill water bottles with vodka apparently and have them in her handbag, which explains why she never let me have a drink from them!

I cannot say that her behaviour really affected me as she was never ever abusive, in fact she was very kind and took care of us. But it did affect me in that I lost her at a young age and she has missed so much including four grandchildren that she would have doted over. It's very sad to me that she felt she had to live her life constantly on edge that someone would find out and that she would be disgraced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Can I say this thread has really helped me. Recently someone I know has relapsed and I am trying to figure out strategies to deal with it. The Stories here are really helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

As a former alcohol addict I was ranting abit on AA on this thread, was stressful day yesterday and it's not my place to do so.

Apologies; if it helps people good luck with it. I just don't agree with the disease model many AA members believe in or really thinking we are 'diseased'.

Each to their own.

I need to keep the ould ego in check.

But one thing is for sure, alcohol changes people. I have been an unhinged mad person with drink in me, and I could never believe how much drink changes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I have seen some intrusive press photos of the ex eastenders actress Elaine Lordan this week.

She is not that much older than me.

I had read of her personal tragedies (losing her baby and her Mum)

It frightened me how such a beautiful lady very recently could turn into a hallowed out shell.

She has preyed on my mind this week and I hope she gets help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

anewme wrote: »
    I have seen some intrusive press photos of the ex eastenders actress Elaine Lordan this week.

She is not that much older than me.

I had read of her personal tragedies (losing her baby and her Mum)

It frightened me how such a beautiful lady very recently could turn into a hallowed our shell.

She has preyed on my mind this week and I hope she gets help.

I saw those photos too. And in fact, that was what prompted this thread. I was so shocked and saddened to see how much she has deteriorated, she really looks like a badly tormented woman. She's obviously been through the mill with it and it's written all over her face, she looks like an old woman.

It brought some things to the fore for me, not least of them fresh worries for my ex and what's in store for him if he continues down this path. There but for the grace of god and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My uncle was a lifelong rager. It started when he joined the merchant navy in the UK and they'd spend weeks at a time at sea.

Around the age of 60, his mind just... went. No short-term memory, could not look after himself. He's in a nursing home now. Has been for several years and he's not yet 70. Thankfully, he never had children. He would have been a terrible father. He couldn't even look after a dog when he had one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My Dad was/is a functional alcoholic. He was always able to hold down a job (the same one for my entire childhood and early adult life, in fact), but he would go from his job to the bar right after work 5 nights a week and not come home until late at night. Part of his job involved travel as well, and weeks would go by where I didn't see him at all and didn't know if he was in town or just out on a major binge or both.

He was a mean drunk, but he also had that in him when he was sober too. Drinking just enhanced that particular quality. He was prone to verbal and physical abuse with me, but even more with my older brother, who bore the brunt of all of his frustration and unrealized dreams.

I don't know how he is with alcohol now. He and my mother divorced after 25 years of marriage in part due to his drinking. He's had one long term relationship but that also ended a few years ago due, although I can't say for certain why, but I have my suspicions. He lives alone now and seems happy enough. I only talk to him in the mornings though, before he's had a chance to get too many drinks in him. About a year ago, he did call me up, completely drunk and shouting abuse. I let him know ... about himself. I told him some things that he probably didn't want to hear, and I texted him those things so he could have a look back when he was sober. We didn't talk for several months after that. But eventually we spoke again and that's water under the bridge.

I visited him last November, and he did express remorse for some of the things he did to my brother all of those years ago (not to my brother mind you - to me). And he's not generally a man who apologizes or shows much remorse, so it made me hopeful that perhaps he's finally starting to realize some things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I have an alcoholic in the family. Mean drunk and totally unpredictable so I am constantly on edge.

I have been looking up Al-anon meetings the last couple of weeks as I think it might help me cope with it better.

Anyone got experience with al-anon?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have an alcoholic in the family. Mean drunk and totally unpredictable so I am constantly on edge.

I have been looking up Al-anon meetings the last couple of weeks as I think it might help me cope with it better.

Anyone got experience with al-anon?

I've never been to one myself but my mam started going to them and she said they do help her, being able to relate to other people in the same position gives her some comfort, so no harm in going along anyway and seeing is it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Heat1981

My mother was/is an alcoholic. It has always been hidden and never spoken of. She has always been functional and is a great person in every other way. Her addiction really affected me growing up though. Her marriage was bad and she shared my bedroom. When she thought I was asleep at night, she'd drink in bed. I'd often lie awake for hours listening to her snoring and wondering if I should turn off the light. It was and still is my secret. I've never discussed it with family and I'm extremely close to my mother now as an adult. I do suffer with sleep problems though and I put it down to my childhood. I have a problem with overeating myself- food was always my comfort and still is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

As a former alcohol addict I was ranting abit on AA on this thread, was stressful day yesterday and it's not my place to do so. Apologies; if it helps people good luck with it. I just don't agree with the disease model many AA members believe in or really thinking we are 'diseased'.

I do not think we should conflate AA and the labeling of alcoholism as a disease. The former is something that is not efficacious, useful and in many ways is actually harmful. The latter has good reasoning and support behind it that has nothing to do with AA. I will deal with that below though rather than say all the same things twice to two different people...........
    That's why I'm not a fan of this idea of referring to disorders like alcohol use disorder and eating disorders being framed as a disease. Framing disorders such as alcoholism and obesity as diseases means interpreting them as an issue that places an imperative on society to address

Firstly I do not think we are taking something that is not societies problem to address and pretending it is. Rather I suspect you are taking something that IS societies problem and pretending it is not.

Alcohol is part of society, part of our culture, and is at the level of government also a taxed revenue stream. We do not get to have our cake and eat it. We can not make it part of our culture AND a revenue stream and then pretend we have no obligations towards the darker sides of it.

So no we do not need mere linguistics to pretend something is true when it already is true. Problems with alcohol already ARE an issue for society to address whether you like it or not. And as someone who is already against social welfare and child allowance and the financial support of single parents.... I am guessing "not" here.

Secondly though there are genuine reasons why we use a disease model in relation to addictions. And none of those reasons fit the agendas you simply invent for it such as foisting the problems on society you imagine here or, as you imagined on another thread on a similar topic to this one, that we are taking a mental illness and have some agenda to "normalize" it. Though you dodged the questions on what you even meant by ""normalizing addiction" at the time.

But the REAL motivation for most people defining it this way has literally nothing with an attempt to "normalize" anything. Rather it is motivated by the simple fact that the treatment of any condition requires accurate diagnosis and classification of it. Only when we really understand what condition a person or people have can we move towards effective treatment plans.

Historically, as the "recovery village" points out, "addiction to alcohol and drugs has been seen as a moral failing. The person addicted was viewed as lacking in willpower". A set of attitudes that is the direct opposite of what is required to understand and treat the condition.

So no, no one is out to "normalize" anything so much as we are out to accurately portray it, understand it, and develop new and ever better treatments for it based on what it actually is, rather than what people like you simply want it to be for the sake of simplicity or judgement or whatever floats your particular boat.

Or put another way, calling it a disease is often motivated not solely by definitions and recognition of how many aspects of it DO match the definition of "disease" (which you were unwilling or unable to provide at the time you were asked) but also by the realization that treating it with the "disease model" is the best approach. There is a paper in Science by Leshner for example on not just why we classify it as disease, but why it actually matters.

as the "center on addiction" points out.... it is defined as a disease by "most medical associations, including the American Medical Association and the American Society of Addiction Medicine.". The latter for example define addiction as "Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry."

Also the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) also uses the word "addiction" to define compulsive drug seeking behaviors, though they do note that although the use all the same criteria for this as the DSM.... the DSM prefers to call it "substance use disorder" rather than addiction.

While DrugAbuse.gov tells us that “Addiction is a chronic, often relapsing brain disease that causes compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences to the addicted individual and to those around him or her.”

Leshner wrote in the peer reviewed magazine "Science", and you can source the paper on ncbi.nlm.nih.gov also, that "As with many other brain diseases, addiction has embedded behavioral and social-context aspects that are important parts of the disorder itself. " And while on the subject of magazines it was reported on also in Medical-News-Today why this definition is used in 2011 if you care to go read it.
    I've been to AA meetings Drumpot and I'll still always say that people who choose to become dependant on alcohol to the detriment of the people closest to them, are making a selfish choice.
    I don't ever feel sorry for an alcoholic... they choose the bottle. It doesn't choose them!

"This dying slowly, seems better than killing myself" - The Tindersticks.

You are almost, but not entirely wrong :) Of course people ultimately choose their own vices. That is, pedantically at least, true.

But first and foremost people do not choose their own addictions and dependencies. That kind of thing sneaks up on people. They do not see it coming.

And often people around them do not see it coming either. Read the post by Sandor Clegane above. Just when his drinking had reached the level the people around him SHOULD have been saying "Dude, you need to look at where you are going with this" what they were ACTUALLY doing was finding it all a laugh, making videos of it, and laughing it all away the next day as a "Man that was great craic" attitude that their friend got that sozzled.

Second though, as an extension of this, how much DO people "choose the bottle"? It is so deeply ingrained in our culture that it is not really a choice. It reminds me of women wearing body bags in other cultures. It is claimed they wear it by choice. But the level of abuse and social stigma they receive when they choose NOT to wear it begs the question on how much of a choice it REALLY is in the first place.

I know in my teen years I chose not to drink. I was in 2nd year in college before I was drunk for the first time. And I paid a price for that. My peers in school did not want me going out with them on a Friday or Saturday night. If house parties happened, people simply did not move to invite me or even inform me it was happening. You were not a drinker, you were not welcome at events for drinking. And my social life suffered for that. Anything going on that was NOT drink related however, I was almost the first person to get invited to THOSE things. Because when drink was not involved, people generally did like me and wanted me around. But they were relatively rare occasions as we aged. And in college I felt enough pressure to be sociable that I started to drink then. Stopped after college though, and did not start again until around 7 years ago while living here in Germany.

Third there are a lot of narratives that people are "choosing" rather than the direct choice you are painting. For example a lot of people I have seen with such problems have narratives like "I work so hard all week that I deserve some "me" time doing something relaxing and drinking relaxs me". So they are not simply choosing an addiction or choosing to kill themselves slowly or any of the harsh distortions of this you are throwing out. Rather than are choosing a narrative that makes perfect sense to them at the time.

Fourth your narrative assumes a level of rationality on the people you are talking about. What we have found in medical science is that addiction actually alters the brain. Not just alters it but, alas, alters it in specifically the ways that would undermine making rational decisions about the things addicted to. It literally undermines the rational "Choice" you are describing at the level of the brain. As the old adage says "You can not reason someone out of an opinion they did not reason themselves into".

And finally, the problems associated with drink come incrementally. So slowly that most people do not even become aware of them. And increases in quantity happen so slowly people do not really acknowledge them consciously. You can be on 4 pints of a Friday night for years and suddenly move to 5. Then 6. Or start going out on a Saturday night thinking "Well 4 pints on a Friday is not bad, so why not 4 on a Saturday too". And then the effects sneak up slowly too. And the effects that SHOULD be warning signs tend to A) get explained away by something else like "Ah I must be getting old" or B) Get laughed away by ones social peers as part and parcel of the whole experience. And as our hang overs get worse, for example, we wear that suffering and even brag about it like a badge of honor.

So yea one can pedantically call these things a "Choice". But how choice operates, how much of it we feel we have, is a continuum and subject to all kinds of external pressures and judgement and influences. And my knowledge of those facts, not opinions as you decried it to a user earlier, does indeed make me feel sympathy and respect for those from whom you withhold it.
    My addictions were completely down to me. They were my life choices. Just like it was my choice to beat them!

Which is fine. But what is not fine, and in fact can be quite dangerous in some contexts, is extrapolating a general opinion on a widde and expansive topic from ones own, single, personal anecdote of it.

What you say about YOU and YOUR addictions might be 100% true. For you. But could be 100% false for the next person.

Bambi985 wrote: »
    As I've gotten older I've realised that most alcoholics are functional, normal hardworking folks that look like anyone else

Yea I was under that "traditional" impression for a long time too, that an "alcoholic" is someone who can not function, and can not go without drink for any length of time.

I have since learned there is a whole continuum of behaviors and engagements with alcohol that can constitute being alcoholic. Thankfully I learned it BEFORE becoming one of the "traditional" types myself. But I only learned it after doing something silly while drunk that woke me up to it. Had that silly thing not happened I might have continued the way I was going.

The danger of the "traditional" view of it is that if you do not fit that, you can convince yourself you have not got an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. And in fact because I wanted to lose weight I stopped drinking between November 2015 and May 2016. No trouble, no craving, no issues. So when I started drinking again I did so under the illusion I was a healthy drinker because I was able to stop when I wanted. But in fact while I did not drink very often at all, I was up to the point of being able to put away 4 or 5 bottles of wine of an evening. And still "function" the next day after an hour or two of sleep.

July 2016 I did something silly, during my first and last actual "black out" from alcohol too, and then read and learned a lot more about alcohol, and decided to stop drinking entirely. Have not been drunk since. And in some ways I view it as having dodged a bullet and gotten lucky. Getting wise to alcohol before it got me.

I am just lucky and thankful I was never the traditional "addicted" type and I could stop when I wanted and decided to stop. I have an addiction to sugar and carbs. Coke and crisps and sweets mainly. And I struggle to fight it. My own brain works against me. I tell myself going into a shop I will not buy coke and things to eat with it. And then either I find an excuse to do it, or I find myself at the check out with it and not remembering actually picking it up. And then when I do manage to fight it for a few days.... the actual withdrawal cravings hit and I have no willpower left to fight it having spent it all on the days before.

Could you imagine given THAT weakness to something relatively benign as an addiction to sugar..... what my chances of fighting an ACTUAL addiction to alcohol would be? I am glad I caught myself before I reached that stage? To say I dodged a bullet and chose abstinence just in time is probably an under statement.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    I know it’s not unique to alcoholics but bing drinking to get a break from my racing mind was the only way at times I could get a break.

I was talking with a psychologist during the early periods of my deciding to stop drinking and he asked me something similar. After a few tests and questionnaires and stuff he decided to tell me I was remarkably intelligent and he asked me if I ever felt I was using alcohol to get a break from that. To kinda dumb myself down from awhile and get a break from my own overactive mind.

It struck me as entirely true and reminded me of a phrase Christopher Hitchens used to say while explaining away his own obvious dependence on alcohol which was "I drink to make other people more interesting". And I reckon he was saying essentially the same thing.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    My drinking problem was sinister. I drank on my own at weekends once a week when My wife went to bed. I told close friends and family and they were surprised. It’s sad cause you can always tell who may have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol but it can be much harder to spot a real alcoholic. It’s not always about quantity but about the effect and reason for drinking. Some alcoholics can give it up for months!!!

You are, as I said earlier in this post, essentially describing me perfectly. From the drinking alone (once a week at most, but on average I would say closer to once every two weeks.... but also alone while gaming or watching Netflix etc)......... to happily giving up for months without a single issue, craving, or detriment.

It was not until one night I was drinking not alone, but out and about (which was almost unheard of) that the true extent of my binges became quickly apparent. Harder to spot the problems, even in yourself, in the safety of your own home.

Worse is that there were other problems associated with my use of alcohol that I did not realize I even had until MONTHS after stopping drinking. I only noticed them in their absence. I did not notice them when I actually HAD them. I think I actively developed a form of depression so slowly and incrementally that I did not know I even had it until it was gone.

But suddenly one day I noticed an energetic and emotional engagement with life that had been absent for 5 or 6 years. And I realized that emotions I was feeling I either had not been feeling them for years, or I was feeling them through a murky fog that diminished them. And things like feeling love for my children were suddenly overwhelmingly powerful where they were just dully there before.

So I can really get into the head space of people who do not think they have problems with alcohol. How could they when even people who realize they DO have problems with it (like I did) do not even THEN see half the problems they actually have? Even with your eyes open you are still blind. So what hope for those who's eyes have not yet been opened to their problems?
    There's bucks that can go out and sink back 15 pints, and not be an alco.

Interestingly here in Germany if the police find you walking around with a serious amount of alcohol in your system they can take steps to revoke your use of a drivers license. They can demand that you apply for what is called the "MPU" or known more colloquially as "The Idiot Test".

The thinking behind it is that nearly all "normal" people can not just simply take to drinking 15 pints. This takes an "Entwicklungzeit".... a training period where you are drinking more and more over a longer term to get to the point where you have that stamina and training to be able to do it.

And the affects of that training will be a long term dulling of things like senses and reaction times and more. So you can be removed from the privilege of driving until you prove in the MPU to a doctor and a psychologist that you are capable of driving and you have a healthy relationship with drink and your life path is not seemingly one that will make you ever more reliant on alcohol.
    AA worked for him. Amazing worldwide organization that purposefully remains anonymous.

I do not find them all that amazing at all. And in fact even their OWN figures on their own efficacy show them statistically to be not that much more effective than simply doing nothing at all.

But like anything that claims to help, you are statistically going to get people's testimony that it helps them. And this is used to claim they are more effective than they actually are. But even with nonsense like homeopathy you will get claims "Well it helped me / my friend" etc.

There is little to think AA if that effective at all, or their "steps" do anything for anyone. But.... at the end of the day..... AA is at it's core simply a social group for mutual assistance with a problem by one's peers who also have that problem. And THAT is a good thing. But AA far from has a monopoly on that core benefit. And other groups that also engage at that level do so without A) nonsense "steps" and B) Religious agendas.

One problem I have seen is that people often thing one "self help" group is the same as another. So if one fails them or turns out crap, they are less inclined to try a different one. Now, despite having one of the lowest efficacy rates out there, AA is the household name and "go to" name when people think of such a group. So combine those two things..... AA is the most likely one to go to, the least likely to help, and is likely to disincline people to going to OTHER groups. This is not a good combination.

All I can say to anyone reading this thread who has a problem with alcohol, and found AA did not help them or failed them entirely........... it is NOT representative of the diversity of groups out there. Try a few others. Please. They are not all like each other and one failure says nothing about the next group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Alcoholism isn't a disease,it's a strengthening\reinforcing of the reward system in the brain

Alcoholism isn't a disease,it's a strengthening\reinforcing of the reward system in the brain

Actually a lot of the people who define it as a disease include that in the definition for WHY it is a disease not why it is not one.

But the problem is that reference to the reward system alone is an over simplification of what goes on at the level of the brain in response to addiction. The limbic system is only part of the picture. But for example The cerebral cortex is also in play, and that affects ones ability to think clearly and make decisions.

For example, as noted in a paper in the journal "Neuroreport"....

"One of the hallmarks of drug dependence is the compulsive drug self-administration that occurs in addicted individuals even when the drug is no longer perceived as pleasurable and in the presence of adverse physical reactions to the drug"

....... when the addiction is fully installed in the brain the reward system alone is not the issue. But it does many other things like "Addiction changes orbitofrontal gyrus function: involvement in response inhibition".

Also from another article "At this point, compulsion takes over. The pleasure associated with an addictive drug or behavior subsides—and yet the memory of the desired effect and the need to recreate it (the wanting) persists. It’s as though the normal machinery of motivation is no longer functioning." So we are talking about things like conditioned learning here too that goes on even when the reward system falls out of the picture.

So not only is the reward system in play, but other areas of the brain associated with the inhibition of harmful behaviors is also simultaneously undermined. And there are other associated issues there, such as a reduction in the working memory of the brain, that would also undermines peoples ability, and motivation, to pull themselves out of such situations. Addiction also undermines the parts of the brain associated with people constructing or caring about long term goals and having an interest in their own well being and safety.

Interestingly also when we look at OTHER forms of compulsion we are often not so hesitant to call them diseases. And it is interesting to ask one-self why that might be. It seems to me that something like OCD and addiction are differentiated by the latter having "choice" as more of a factor. And I suspect that "choice" is the factor that makes people not want to acknowledge it as a disease.

But if I CHOSE to get coughed on a lot, my resulting Flu would still be a disease. If I CHOSE to imbibe 10 litres of coke and 20 mars bars a day my resulting diabetes would still be considered a disease. There ARE some good arguments against the disease model for addiction..... but anyone who wants to take that route needs to realize that the choice aspect is NOT one of those good arguments.

As another article says "Choice does not determine whether something is a disease. Heart disease, diabetes and some forms of cancer involve personal choices like diet, exercise, sun exposure, etc. A disease is what happens in the body as a result of those choices."

Actually a lot of the people who define it as a disease include that in the definition for WHY it is a disease not why it is not one.

But the problem is that reference to the reward system alone is an over simplification of what goes on at the level of the brain in response to addiction. The limbic system is only part of the picture. But for example The cerebral cortex is also in play, and that affects ones ability to think clearly and make decisions.

For example, as noted in a paper in the journal "Neuroreport"....

"One of the hallmarks of drug dependence is the compulsive drug self-administration that occurs in addicted individuals even when the drug is no longer perceived as pleasurable and in the presence of adverse physical reactions to the drug"

....... when the addiction is fully installed in the brain the reward system alone is not the issue. But it does many other things like "Addiction changes orbitofrontal gyrus function: involvement in response inhibition".

Also from another article "At this point, compulsion takes over. The pleasure associated with an addictive drug or behavior subsides—and yet the memory of the desired effect and the need to recreate it (the wanting) persists. It’s as though the normal machinery of motivation is no longer functioning." So we are talking about things like conditioned learning here too that goes on even when the reward system falls out of the picture.

So not only is the reward system in play, but other areas of the brain associated with the inhibition of harmful behaviors is also simultaneously undermined. And there are other associated issues there, such as a reduction in the working memory of the brain, that would also undermines peoples ability, and motivation, to pull themselves out of such situations. Addiction also undermines the parts of the brain associated with people constructing or caring about long term goals and having an interest in their own well being and safety.

Interestingly also when we look at OTHER forms of compulsion we are often not so hesitant to call them diseases. And it is interesting to ask one-self why that might be. It seems to me that something like OCD and addiction are differentiated by the latter having "choice" as more of a factor. And I suspect that "choice" is the factor that makes people not want to acknowledge it as a disease.

But if I CHOSE to get coughed on a lot, my resulting Flu would still be a disease. If I CHOSE to imbibe 10 litres of coke and 20 mars bars a day my resulting diabetes would still be considered a disease. There ARE some good arguments against the disease model for addiction..... but anyone who wants to take that route needs to realize that the choice aspect is NOT one of those good arguments.

As another article says "Choice does not determine whether something is a disease. Heart disease, diabetes and some forms of cancer involve personal choices like diet, exercise, sun exposure, etc. A disease is what happens in the body as a result of those choices."

Years ago doctors would tell alcoholic patients to treat it like a disease,as with the likes of diabetes it's up to you to manage it,I was on the more severe side of alcoholism as in waking up from benders and literally having to kick empty vodka bottles out of the way to get out of bed,I've been sober touching four years,when I say sober I mean no bouts of alcoholism,I can drink moderately like a normal drinker with the aid of an opiod antagonist pill taken one hour before drinking.

About two years ago I found myself in Phnom Penh Cambodia,a dangerous place for an alcoholic to be with the ease of access to cheap alcohol at any hour,I decided I'd be a bit of a human guinea pig and bought opiod antagonist pills easily got OTC.Basically what they do is is block the release of endorphins and the pleasurable rewarding feeling from alcohol,you'll still get drunk but it's just lacking that AHH feeling,I drank about 3 bottles and left it at that,normally that would have been the start of an unmerciful bender.Whats going on in your brain whilst you drink on opiod antagonists is a rewiring of the brain,you're breaking down that reinforcing behaviour by getting no reward from it through a process called pharmacological extinction,eventually you'll lose the craving to drink over time.

Drinking doesn't interest me anymore,I just don't want to do it even if I take the pill and have 4 drinks I don't like the feeling of that poison in my body anymore.

Years ago doctors would tell alcoholic patients to treat it like a disease,as with the likes of diabetes it's up to you to manage it

That would be a different discussion though. There is two discussions worth having:

1) Whether to call it a disease at all, and why
    2) Having called it a disease HOW to treat it.

You have moved from discussion 1 to discussion 2 here. Which is not a bad thing. But it is worth recognizing the difference. I agree entirely that HOW we treat alcoholism and addictions is something worth improving and improving and improving. No doubt at all.

Unfortunately some people who purport to treat it, refuse to have their methods openly examined and changed. So no improving is possible or at least easily done. AA are one such example, as they have historically resisted study, change and improvement.

I am glad to hear the drugs work for you though, in keeping you from losing control when you choose to drink.

Make no mistake, I did not mean to say you are wrong in what you said above. You are indeed right. But what you are right about is only one part of the picture of what goes on in the brain.

• Advertisement

That would be a different discussion though. There is two discussions worth having:

1) Whether to call it a disease at all, and why
    2) Having called it a disease HOW to treat it.

You have moved from discussion 1 to discussion 2 here. Which is not a bad thing. But it is worth recognizing the difference. I agree entirely that HOW we treat alcoholism and addictions is something worth improving and improving and improving. No doubt at all.

Unfortunately some people who purport to treat it, refuse to have their methods openly examined and changed. So no improving is possible or at least easily done. AA are one such example, as they have historically resisted study, change and improvement.

I am glad to hear the drugs work for you though, in keeping you from losing control when you choose to drink.

Make no mistake, I did not mean to say you are wrong in what you said above. You are indeed right. But what you are right about is only one part of the picture of what goes on in the brain.

I'm under no illusion that it's a disease,ask any alcoholic did they just wake up one day and were suddenly alcoholics like they were afflicted with something...i can guarantee you though looking back they can see how they gradually got there.I'd rather put my faith in science than AA to be honest,their success rates are about the same from just quitting cold turkey from what I've read...but hey it works from some and that's all that matters

I'm under no illusion that it's a disease

Then as I said you are at odds with quite a few people. Including "most medical associations, including the American Medical Association and the American Society of Addiction Medicine.", the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). DrugAbuse.gov, many papers written by scientists like Leshner, and journals like Medical-News-Today. And many more.
    ask any alcoholic did they just wake up one day and were suddenly alcoholics like they were afflicted with something...

But that is not how "disease" is defined. For example people with heart disease do not "wake up one day and were suddenly afflicted with something".

At this point perhaps it would be helpful if I understood what YOU mean by "disease" and what you think something has to have or be in order to be considered a disease.

I do not want to put words in your mouth but it SOUNDS like you think "disease" is something relatively instant, and maybe even contagious. Like a bacteria or viral infection for example. Like when you wake up in the morning with a bad cold.

But the meaning of the word disease in science is MUCH broader than that.
    I'd rather put my faith in science than AA

Me too. I have zero faith in AA at all, and think in many ways they are positively harmful and pernicious. It is science and scientists I am quoting when I am referring to the word "disease".

Then as I said you are at odds with quite a few people. Including "most medical associations, including the American Medical Association and the American Society of Addiction Medicine.", the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). DrugAbuse.gov, many papers written by scientists like Leshner, and journals like Medical-News-Today. And many more.

But that is not how "disease" is defined. For example people with heart disease do not "wake up one day and were suddenly afflicted with something".

At this point perhaps it would be helpful if I understood what YOU mean by "disease" and what you think something has to have or be in order to be considered a disease.

I do not want to put words in your mouth but it SOUNDS like you think "disease" is something relatively instant, and maybe even contagious. Like a bacteria or viral infection for example. Like when you wake up in the morning with a bad cold.

But the meaning of the word disease in science is MUCH broader than that.

Me too. I have zero faith in AA at all, and think in many ways they are positively harmful and pernicious. It is science and scientists I am quoting when I am referring to the word "disease".

Like I said before alcoholism is a strengthening of the reward system in the brain,i don't for one second believe it's a disease,I don't know if you've ever read into the works of Dr.David Sinclair and Roy Eskapa who developed the Sinclair method towards alcoholism with the use of opiod antagonists,it makes for some good reading and will ring a lot of bells with alcoholics.

Repeated trials and tests have produced an 80% success rate.just out of interest do you currently or have in the past had problems with alcohol?

Like I said before alcoholism is a strengthening of the reward system in the brain

And like I said before that is mostly correct, but is only one PART of the picture. There is a lot more to it than that. You are not wrong, you are just not complete in what you say here. It is like saying Soccer is "22 players on grass". While correct, clearly there is a LOT more to soccer than that.
    i don't for one second believe it's a disease

Clearly, but given you have not answered the question I asked about what you think a disease is/means, I can not progress that conversation with you. THAT you think this is clear, WHY you think it not so much. And if you are unwilling to tell me what you think the pre-requisites of disease are, or what disease is.... then I can hardly unpack your belief here.

Further you claim to put your faith in science, yet when I quote not one but a MULTITUDE of scientists calling it a disease, in journals, articles, magazines, peer reviewed papers AND groups and associations working with addiction..... you simply ignore that with essentially nothing more than "nuh uh".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

I'm a total lightweight and never really got into that culture of "a glass of wine with dinner" so have recently decided that I'm just going to cut it out. I don't drink regularly enough to miss it, aside from the odd work night out where I'm probably professionally better off swapping the G&Ts for soda water and slinking off early enough anyway. I see so many people jeopardise their careers at those boozy work drinks events.

I can think of no greater hell than drug addiction, be it alcohol or anything else. I've seen too many people live half lives and lose so much as a result of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Alcoholism is a disease / disorder / dependancy etc, whatever way you might like to describe it. However it is also in many cases a lifestyle and recovering alcoholics have to change their lives, not just stop drinking. ie drop old friends (drinking buddies), pub visits, and many many activities that inevitably start or lead to drinking sessions. Thus they often find themselves with lots of free time they don't know what to do with, alone and bored.
    And it is also a syndrome that affects families of alcoholics, they are always always more affected than the drinker, and as this is the life they know as normal, they struggle to understand how others live. It is impossible to unlearn to avoid making noise, taking care to check the humour before speaking and most of all the absolute total irrationality of everything. Black might be White now, Blue in an hours time and back to Black in the morning. Or to put another way, what was right yesterday is completely wrong today. And this irrationality goes on long after the drinking has ceased. Sorry I don't have the answers either.

Advertisement