Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with rent

Options
  • 05-03-2018 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have been living with my parents for 19 years and now I am planning to move out asap. they have been relying on social welfare for almost 10 years. I am a plc student that get grants each month. so now I am wondering if there is a way the government could help me with the rent expenses or where can I get help? my part time job is not enough to pay the rent if I live alone.
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I have been living with my parents for 19 years and now I am planning to move out asap. they have been relying on social welfare for almost 10 years. I am a plc student that get grants each month. so now I am wondering if there is a way the government could help me with the rent expenses or where can I get help? my part time job is not enough to pay the rent if I live alone.
    thanks in advance.

Just wait until you're finished studying & you can pay your own way. If you just focus on the studies now with no distractions you'll be flying once you're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thelonelygirl

Just wait until you're finished studying & you can pay your own way. If you just focus on the studies now with no distractions you'll be flying once you're out.
    I cant.AT home problems have arised to the point I cant live there anymore .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

I cant.AT home problems have arised to the point I cant live there anymore .

Don't know much about it but http://hap.ie/ may be worth a look. You will likely also have to consider sharing a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Ever heard of digs?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You might not be able to afford living alone, but can you afford a house share?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

thanks in advance.
    the government are already helping you with rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

I am wondering if there is a way the government could help me with the rent expenses or where can I get help? my part time job is not enough to pay the rent if I live alone.
    thanks in advance.

I have been out of college working full time with a good degree for nearly 6 years and can't afford to live alone.

If the government pay for you to live alone i would be pretty pissed.

Tenigate wrote: »
    Ever heard of digs?
    no what is it ?

ted1 wrote: »
    the government are already helping you with rent.
    that's true but for my parents and not me

Zenify wrote: »
    I have been out of college working full time with a good degree for nearly 6 years and can't afford to live alone.

If the government pay for you to live alone i would be pretty pissed.
    I see. you made it sound its impossible.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    You might not be able to afford living alone, but can you afford a house share?
    I was considering doing so with some friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

that's true but for my parents and not me
    Could your grant pay your rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Do what all students do which is to share. Maybe your student support office at college could help.you?

Could your grant pay your rent?
    i get around 263 a month

Wesser wrote: »
    Do what all students do which is to share. Maybe your student support office at college could help.you?
    ah i see thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Approach your local Youth Reach service and see what they suggest. There may be some options available depending on the type of trouble in your family home.

If you don't know where to find them ( they have different names in some areas) ask Citizens Information to find them for you.

Wesser wrote: »
    i was thinking of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I worked over 40 hours a week when I was 15 to 17 in school.
    Obviously still working and only ever out of work for 3 months in all my years working.

Can't understand how others especially young can't help themselves once they can get employment.

Get working and get a house share or digs as was suggested.
    Knew a few people that done it that way and continued to work.

Advertisement