Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Correct pronunciation of Dacia

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    From Peugeot to Renault to Lidl. We pronounce names how we like to, not necessarily as they are, and so what.

The Irish one's not correct at all according to my French sister in law. Same for Reno.
    The UK are much closer to the correct pronunciation in both cases, but so what ?
    The Irish Pew-Joe and Ren-Alt are here to stay.

Yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Yawn

Best you can do right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    From Peugeot to Renault to Lidl. We pronounce names how we like to, not necessarily as they are, and so what.

The Irish one's not correct at all according to my French sister in law. Same for Reno.
    The UK are much closer to the correct pronunciation in both cases, but so what ?
    The Irish Pew-Joe and Ren-Alt are here to stay.

I don't know anyone that says ren-alt. I've only ever heard people say ren-o. And I worked in 2 motor factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,452 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't know anyone that says ren-alt. I've only ever heard people say ren-o. And I worked in 2 motor factors.

It used to be the norm in the late 80s into 90s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It used to be the norm in the late 80s into 90s

I wonder was that down to howda like them penny apples, did you know him ?

Doctor Bill!

I remember advertising for Renaults back then like the R5 and they pronounced it correctly but anyone I knew bar one uncle who had one pronounced it ren-alt

That said, we pronounce the s in Paris so who cares!

Patww79 wrote: »

Some of Tom Dunnes best work!
    That said he did a doctor bill album and it wasn’t great, don’t think it was gift grub related though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The funny thing about the pronunciations is that even the brand can use different pronunciations in different countries. Toyota UK market the Auris as the "OWWW-RIS" where as Toyota Ireland use "AWWW-RIS".

The ignorance of the "REN-AWLT" pronunciation always annoyed me to be honest, hearing one ad from them should clear that up for anyone surely.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I say Ren - O and Paris

Well to be fair, Auris is a made up name, where Renault is an actual fellas Surname. So if Louis Renault happened to be the president of France, and they were pronouncing his name as Renn Alt on RTÉ news - it would be called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Zonda999 wrote: »

The ignorance of the "REN-AWLT" pronunciation always annoyed me to be honest, hearing one ad from them should clear that up for anyone surely.

I've never heard an Audi ad with the aw-di pronunciation, but yet..................

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I've never heard an Audi ad with the aw-di pronunciation, but yet..................

I pronounce AUDI as OW DEE ... er but then again I pronounce ALDI as ALL DEE too not AL DEE

Yep, again back in the 80s / 90s, that’s how it was pronounced!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Zonda999 wrote: »
    As others have said, it's how it used to be marketed - it seemed normal to anglicise names back then. Nestlé used to be pronounced "nessel" in British (and probably Irish?) advertising until the 70s or 80s.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Well to be fair, Auris is a made up name...
    Latin is made up now? :) The "au" sound should be similar to that in "law" or "caught" - so I think Toyota Ireland got it right this time.

Back to the original topic, there are two correct ways of saying "Dacia" -
    The Latin way: "day-see-a" or "day-sha"
    The modern Romanian way: "dah-chi-a"
    So Dacia Ireland are wrong on both counts.

And let's not get started on Hyundai - I'm no expert on Korean, but it sure as hell isn't "Hai-undai". There should only be two syllables there, and "y" is not a vowel sound in this case.

As others have said, it's how it used to be marketed - it seemed normal to anglicise names back then. Nestlé used to be pronounced "nessel" in British (and probably Irish?) advertising until the 70s or 80s.

Latin is made up now? :) The "au" sound should be similar to that in "law" or "caught" - so I think Toyota Ireland got it right this time.

Back to the original topic, there are two correct ways of saying "Dacia" -
    The Latin way: "day-see-a" or "day-sha"
    The modern Romanian way: "dah-chi-a"
    So Dacia Ireland are wrong on both counts.

And let's not get started on Hyundai - I'm no expert on Korean, but it sure as hell isn't "Hai-undai". There should only be two syllables there, and "y" is not a vowel sound in this case.
    Auris is made up from what I remember of the launch it comes from the word Aurum. That’s why the concept had lots of gold stuff that didn’t make production.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It's not made up at all, the dative or ablative plural form of "aurum" is "auris": https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aurum

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭josip

Time for this guy again I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

In Waterford it's pronounced Déise.

Advertisement