Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Laptop - Nice Options

Options
  • 05-03-2018 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all, looking some opinions/usage reviews on the following options for a new work laptop. I am a Data Analyst/BI Developer so programs like SQL, Tableau, PBI etc. would be used regularly. Currently using a Lenovo T440 with i5 and 8GB ram but due an upgrade:

Option 1: 2017 Macbook Pro 13” with i5, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM (with Touchbar and TouchId)
    Option 2: Microsoft Surface Laptop (13.5”) with i5, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM
    Option 3: Microsoft Surface Pro (12.3”) with i5, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM
    Option 4: Dell XPS 15 with i7, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM

All laptops are adequate spec wise for what I need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you allowed use it after work or have you a pc for that?

I’d rule the mbp out straight away, if it can’t play gta it ain’t worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 isotonicdrink

Are you allowed use it after work or have you a pc for that?

I’d rule the mbp out straight away, if it can’t play gta it ain’t worth having.

I would be able to use it after work, even though I have my own PC. Never knew about mac's not being able to play certain games, interesting. Gaming wouldn't be a factor in my decision though as I'm not a big PC gamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭blackbox

Do you use a docking station at work? If not, I'd go for the biggest screen possible for programming with multiple windows open.

• Advertisement

testicles wrote: »

Yeah I know that, we have software that can run both Mac/Windows, or Windows exclusively. Being a Windows user my whole life I'm steering towards sticking with a Windows. On the XPS13 point, I could suggest that as an option, do you have one yourself?

blackbox wrote: »
    Do you use a docking station at work? If not, I'd go for the biggest screen possible for programming with multiple windows open.

It will be hooked up to other monitors. Good consideration though, I couldn't deal with not using other monitors, multiple windows open at the same time is a staple every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

either a xps 13 or would you consider another lenovo? an x1 or a yoga? you will have no issues getting a usb c dock btw

shanec1928 wrote: »
    either a xps 13 or would you consider another lenovo? an x1 or a yoga? you will have no issues getting a usb c dock btw

Spec's on the XPS do look impressive! I do like Lenovo's, but would prefer one of the 4 options. I think PC World will be hit up today for some hands on testing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Modern (as in last 10 years) Macs can run Windows fine: https://support.apple.com/boot-camp
    What are your portability needs - do you travel a lot, work on the move, or is this a desktop replacement. 
    Do you type much, or review graphics / docs
    Do you like to sketch / make notes on screen?

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    Modern (as in last 10 years) Macs can run Windows fine: https://support.apple.com/boot-camp
    What are your portability needs - do you travel a lot, work on the move, or is this a desktop replacement.
    Do you type much, or review graphics / docs
    Do you like to sketch / make notes on screen?

Mainly a desktop replacement, 80% office 20% travel. Typing, reviewing graphics and docs would be a lot of what I would do.
    Not a big fan of sketching on screen, although after reading reviews of the Surface Pro, people seem to want to use the sketch/notes feature more as it is so nice to work with.

After having a play with all options I think I'm going to go with the Surface Pro. It will be handy in tablet mode when presenting and on the go for presenting etc. All options are amazing bits of kit.

Now the next area is accessories for the Surface Pro. Connection wise it has:
    1 x 3.0 USB
    1 x Mini DisplayPort
    1 x 3.5mm audio jack
    1 x microSD card slot

I think I would need a Mini Display Port adapter to VGA and HDMI, although I've seen the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter which could suit my needs. Therefore I think a USB 3.0 hub would be all I may need. Anybody any other thoughts on accessories?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I think that's a good solution. The native integration with onedrive will be handy as well in case you ever lose it...and the preloaded software should be quite minimal so it'll be fast.

Regarding connectivity etc., on the go I advise less is more. VGA & HDMI is what is used in the world mainly, so you will probably need some sort of adapter for that. 
    It could be handy to do things wirelessly, for ease of motion in meeting rooms, but bear in mind if you might forget to pack the adapter away (I know I would...)

For things like mice etc. I'd suggest use the bluetooth connectivity if possible

What about keyboard - is this the one with the cover behaving like a keyboard? Again, bluetooth if possible.

What about docking port for back at base if you are going to work on a larger desktop screen? And a separate charger for your laptop bag?

Dardania wrote: »
    I think that's a good solution. The native integration with onedrive will be handy as well in case you ever lose it...and the preloaded software should be quite minimal so it'll be fast.

Regarding connectivity etc., on the go I advise less is more. VGA & HDMI is what is used in the world mainly, so you will probably need some sort of adapter for that.
    It could be handy to do things wirelessly, for ease of motion in meeting rooms, but bear in mind if you might forget to pack the adapter away (I know I would...)

For things like mice etc. I'd suggest use the bluetooth connectivity if possible

What about keyboard - is this the one with the cover behaving like a keyboard? Again, bluetooth if possible.

What about docking port for back at base if you are going to work on a larger desktop screen? And a separate charger for your laptop bag?
    I think something like this along with the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter would be handy bits of kit to have, especially for the occasional bit of forgetfulness!

Yeah this is the cover keyboard type one, so bluetooth mouse and keyboard are good shouts, although I'm thinking this USB dock would be handy incase I'll be using non bluetooth kit.

I think that would have me covered then in terms of all the bits of kit I would need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

testicles wrote: »

Bootcamp

Advertisement