Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre Square in the 1980s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I'm now doubting the memories of all the people who say it was great until the renovation of the early 2000's when the fances were removed. Looks to me like they were well gone and the place was a kip by '86.

You're right to doubt their memories - the fences were removed long before renovation commenced. I don't know exactly when the railings were moved to St. Nicholas Church - possibly 1984 at the towns quincentennial. Not sure.

The old square was alright - it was certainly run down by the late 90s (especially those rotten public toilets) but it had a classic style and it felt more like a village green.

The problem with new Eyre Square was mainly the ridiculous time and cost of its renovation. When it was finally re-opened it was a major anticlimax and it seemed like a waste of time and resources for not much improvement.

According to wikipedia the railings around the square were removed in the 1960s.

(I assume these are the fences/fances you're referring to. If not I apologise).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You're right to doubt their memories - the fences were removed long before renovation commenced. I don't know exactly when the railings were moved to St. Nicholas Church - possibly 1984 at the towns quincentennial. Not sure.

The old square was alright - it was certainly run down by the late 90s (especially those rotten public toilets) but it had a classic style and it felt more like a village green.

The problem with new Eyre Square was mainly the ridiculous time and cost of its renovation. When it was finally re-opened it was a major anticlimax and it seemed like a waste of time and resources for not much improvement.

The railings were gone long, long before 1984

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The railings were gone long, long before 1984

I know <see previous post>.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

The Old Eyre Square was pretty grim. The winos were a pain annoying everyone and the public toilets were full of perverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Concrete flower pots and paving stones. The toilets!!! It was as as grim a place as you'd see outside of Soviet Russia.
    The fountain should have been the start of a revival of the Square, but everything that's been done with it, has been kind of "meh"
    I'd love to see a completely fresh redesign of the whole square from the Bank of Ireland down to the Meyrick, using young architects and designers, give it a real 21st century makeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The railings were removed in the 1960's, there were there as late as 1964:

browne.jpg

Postcard from 64:
    EyreSquare_Woolworths_c1964.jpg

Here's the old Cattle Market in 1910 (hand tinted postcard)
    eyresquare_tollbooth_c1910.jpg

sorta same view in early 70's with railings gone, and parking in place of the cattle market:
    eyresquarebus.jpg

dubhthach wrote: »
    The railings were removed in the 1960's, there were there as late as 1964:

browne.jpg

I never realised the doorway was used as the entrance to the square. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

That's gas - in the 1964 postcard, you can make out the scaffolding at the cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I don't do Facebook, but there's a lad on there called Alf (he's grown up now and may call himself Alan) who has some brilliant pictures of the city over the years.
    The page might be called 'Galway memories' or something similar but you should be able to find it if you're on Facebook.

I've asked him numerous times to make it available to normal people but unfortunately he grew up in the Facebook era so I've only seen a small percentage of the archive he's uncovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway memories on Facebook have been mentioned in
    Pictures and memories from old Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I never realised the doorway was used as the entrance to the square. Cool.

Tbh the Browne Doorway needs to be taken down and put in a museum. Here's the original location near the old Pro-Cathedral where it stood until it was taken down/moved circa 1905

65759.jpg

The Browne property was a fairly substantial late renaissance/early modern building. I believe that the doorway at least (if not whole former building) dates to about 1627.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

dubhthach wrote: »
    Tbh the Browne Doorway needs to be taken down and put in a museum. Here's the original location near the old Pro-Cathedral where it stood until it was taken down/moved circa 1905

65759.jpg

The Browne property was a fairly substantial late renaissance/early modern building. I believe that the doorway at least (if not whole former building) dates to about 1627.

I never knew it was on Abbeygate Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I've not been to Galway in ages so I went on Google earth to see Lynches window as I remember my mother telling me about it as a child. I found this rather spooky image on Google earth right in front of the window but cant for the life of me find it again.
    [IMG][/img]sPJFQs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

What church tower is that in the photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

What church tower is that in the photo?

St Patrick's Forster St?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

St Patrick's church, the old building beside it, has a steeple that seems to have been partially deconstructed, I'd imagine that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

galway-stpatrickschurchforsterst.jpg

St-Patrick%E2%80%99s-Church.jpg

Thanks for that, i wasn't aware of it before, that tower only seems to have been removed in the 70's when the new church was built

Advertisement