Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imbalance on one side

• 05-03-2018 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi everyone :)

I’m new to Boards and fairly new to running (started November). :D

What I’ve begun to notice, particularly on longer runs is that my right side seems weaker than my left.

Examples: on my left foot, I have no problem running with proper form, e.g: slightly up on my toes - I do this instinctively on my left side. My right side however - my heel slams down hard with every step and I cannot run with proper form in my right side unless I consciously go up on the toes, which begins to tire after a few minutes, at which point I lapse back into good form on left, bad side on right again.

On longer runs, I get a small pain in my right upper thigh/groin - no problems on left.

In yoga, everything is more difficult on the right hand side.

My right eye is also terrible in sight compared to my excellent left eye - that’s probably completely unrelated but thought I’d mention it :D

Does anyone have any ideas how to combat this and even out my sides a bit? I’ve heard standing on the weak leg while brushing teeth helps! :D

Thanks for any help!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Goose76 wrote: »

What I’ve begun to notice, particularly on longer runs is that my right side seems weaker than my left.

Examples: on my left foot, I have no problem running with proper form, e.g: slightly up on my toes - I do this instinctively on my left side. My right side however - my heel slams down hard with every step and I cannot run with proper form in my right side unless I consciously go up on the toes, which begins to tire after a few minutes, at which point I lapse back into good form on left, bad side on right again.

On longer runs, I get a small pain in my right upper thigh/groin - no problems on left.

My right eye is also terrible in sight compared to my excellent left eye - that’s probably completely unrelated but thought I’d mention it :D

Does anyone have any ideas how to combat this and even out my sides a bit? I’ve heard standing on the weak leg while brushing teeth helps! :D

Thanks for any help!!

My right side is weaker than my left. I only really realised when i started having right knee trouble training for DCM last year but since then i notice it regularly in day-to-day activities - if i'm climbing/descending the stairs carrying a baby/toddler i will always lead with my right leg (so my weight remains on my left/stronger side).

My Physio has me doing a routine to strengthen up my right glute muscles and my core. I do a lot of clams, lateral steps with a band, lateral planks, planks and so on.

Apparently it's not unusual to have a dominant side but it's worth keeping an eye on. You could discuss it with a physio or even your yoga instructor - s/he might be able to advise you on how to strengthen up the weaker side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks for any help!!

I have an imbalance too. I’d start with a physio or even a good osteopath to make sure your body is aligned. For me my pelvis goes on my left side and ends up starting to pull muscles - so I have to make sure I stay aligned. The trouble was showing up in my foot and calf. I should be doing way more squats and lunges on my left side according to the physio but I’m not the best for remembering them meaning I need more visits to her than I really should require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I have an imbalance too. I’d start with a physio or even a good osteopath to make sure your body is aligned. For me my pelvis goes on my left side and ends up starting to pull muscles - so I have to make sure I stay aligned. The trouble was showing up in my foot and calf. I should be doing way more squats and lunges on my left side according to the physio but I’m not the best for remembering them meaning I need more visits to her than I really should require.

This applies to me too K :o It's not easy to fit it all in and somehow running is just a lot more fun that squats and lunges :rolleyes:

ariana` wrote: »
    This applies to me too K :o It's not easy to fit it all in and somehow running is just a lot more fun that squats and lunges :rolleyes:

Tell me about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

ariana` wrote: »
    My right side is weaker than my left. I only really realised when i started having right knee trouble training for DCM last year but since then i notice it regularly in day-to-day activities - if i'm climbing/descending the stairs carrying a baby/toddler i will always lead with my right leg (so my weight remains on my left/stronger side).

My Physio has me doing a routine to strengthen up my right glute muscles and my core. I do a lot of clams, lateral steps with a band, lateral planks, planks and so on.

Apparently it's not unusual to have a dominant side but it's worth keeping an eye on. You could discuss it with a physio or even your yoga instructor - s/he might be able to advise you on how to strengthen up the weaker side.

Thank you very much, I’ll definitely try some lunges and squats on the right hand side.

I’ve heard that crossing your legs while sitting can be really bad for imbalances too, is this a bit extreme or would it help to stop sitting this way?

• Advertisement

Thank you very much, I’ll definitely try some lunges and squats on the right hand side.

I’ve heard that crossing your legs while sitting can be really bad for imbalances too, is this a bit extreme or would it help to stop sitting this way?

Actually yes, that’s another thing my physio tells me not to do ...and another thing i’m Not good at remembering. Makes sense though as I know I favour one knee over the other so naturally you will pull on one side more than the other.

Advertisement