Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an apartment in Inchicore (Rosedale)

Options
  • 05-03-2018 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all! I'm considering buying an apartment in Rosedale - I'm not familiar with Inchicore or with this block, so I'm looking for advice from people who've lived in this area or who know it very well :) Thanks a million in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I work in Inchicore and i'd not live here if I had a choice.

It's not all bad. It's a good distance from the city. Good bus routes etc but there's also a lot of anti-social behaviour and it's not a safe place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I live pretty close to there and previously lived in Kilmainham for a long long time......it is fine no real issues to be honest, if a bit dead a tad soulless and needing a nice pub to open! (The Black Lion is OK, Clearys.....is ROUGH...seriously rough) (O'liva the italian restaurant is decent).
    Up where the eurospar is (emmet road) can be a wee bit rough and sketchy IMO at night. But you are near enough to the tesco express there and the luas is very close by.
    You also have a TERRIFIC chipper nearby (Macaris (francos) @84 tyrconnell road, not to be confused with the one at 13 which is muck).
    Buses can be a bit slow into town but plenty of them 13/40.
    You arent a million miles from the war memorials which are lovely and a great spot for a walk (I have a dog so there a lot!)

Any specific questions sure give me a shout!

duplavid wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm considering buying an apartment in Rosedale - I'm not familiar with Inchicore or with this block, so I'm looking for advice from people who've lived in this area or who know it very well :) Thanks a million in advance!

Hi. I lived in Rosedale for two years and in Inchicore for eight years in total. If you have an specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Which block are you looking at buying in? The exact apartment I used to rent is for sale at the moment so could be that one...

I work in Inchicore and i'd not live here if I had a choice.

It's not all bad. It's a good distance from the city. Good bus routes etc but there's also a lot of anti-social behaviour and it's not a safe place to live.

I lived there for eight years and never so much as had someone look at me sideways. It's safe and getting safer all the time. I would have bought in Inchicore had I been staying in Dublin - I have a feeling it will be one of the next places to take off in Dublin, though I have been saying that for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 duplavid

Hi. I lived in Rosedale for two years and in Inchicore for eight years in total. If you have an specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Which block are you looking at buying in? The exact apartment I used to rent is for sale at the moment so could be that one...
    Oh, wow, great! So, just from the top of my head:
    - I like to go for a run in the evenings (around 7-8pm) - you say it's a secure place, but still, do you think I'd be okay?
    - how is the block itself, is it loud or are the people living there okay?
    - how is the community there? Are there any community/building meetings or some such?
    Oh, and the apartment is the 44. Which one is yours?

• Advertisement

I lived there for eight years and never so much as had someone look at me sideways. It's safe and getting safer all the time. I would have bought in Inchicore had I been staying in Dublin - I have a feeling it will be one of the next places to take off in Dublin, though I have been saying that for years.
    I would agree with you in general, never had an issue since living here (I did when in Kilmainham - which is meant to be very trendy these days lol)
    I think it is improving pretty quickly.

Its a shame the Dart Underground hasn't taken off that would have helped. But it is very handy to town already with the bus and luas.

Oh, wow, great! So, just from the top of my head:
    - I like to go for a run in the evenings (around 7-8pm) - you say it's a secure place, but still, do you think I'd be okay?
    - how is the block itself, is it loud or are the people living there okay?
    - how is the community there? Are there any community/building meetings or some such?
    Oh, and the apartment is the 44. Which one is yours?

I was in 14 in the small convent type building across the square from the main block of newer apartments. I thought you might have been buying the one I was in but it's not.

I trained for two marathons while in there and ran every night without ever having hassle. You are minutes from the War Memorial Gardens and not far from the Phoenix Park so it's a runner's heaven.

The only hassle you may ever encounter is from a gang of young lads who hang out outside the Eurospar and sometimes Tesco Express. They are from one feral family who used to live up by the former St Michael's flat. As I said, they never bothered me.

As I lived in the block across the way, I may not be best to qualified to answer the other questions. However, I found the whole development to be really quiet - never any noise or hassle and mostly either young professional workers or smaller families of immigrant workers.

I enjoyed my time in Rosedale and would have no problem recommending it. There is not much in the village other than the Italian restaurant which is great and maybe the Black Lion for a match. You can always walk up to the Royal Oak in Kilmainham which is great.

Overall, I think it's a super location. Bus service is fine and the traffic is not too bad. It has a bad rep dating back to the time of the flats, but a lot of people who knock it don't really know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

We regularly have to call the police due to ASB. Not sure where you lived but my experience is clearly vastly different to yours.

Up and coming part of Dublin? It's a junkiewhore that's watched pretty woman once to many times and has gotten notions about itself.

We regularly have to call the police due to ASB. Not sure where you lived but my experience is clearly vastly different to yours.

Up and coming part of Dublin? It's a junkiewhore that's watched pretty woman once to many times and has gotten notions about itself.

Fair enough, you can only relay what you have experienced.

I lived in the Works for six years and in Rosedale off Tyrconnell Street for two. I know the place very, very well.

Inchicore is regularly touted (I can't find any of the many pieces on up and coming places in Dublin, but it is usually at or near the top) as one of the main up and coming places in Dublin.

Dublin 8 in general is really coming on and I have no doubt that Inchicore will come on a bomb very soon due to its low prices and proximity to the city. Kilmainham was a dump up until about 10 years ago.

It's a junkiewhore that's watched pretty woman once to many times and has gotten notions about itself.
    :) that is new one to me!

Your experience sounds very different to mine as well. I have never had to call the police for anything in inchicore (I did in Kilmainham). I suppose it just shows you how variable Dublin can be from street to street.

• Advertisement

Do you work in one of Tesco or Eurospar by any chance? I know the security guards in Eurospar especially used to get a lot of grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I lived in three different places around the Inchicore area for about 11 years in total (just left a few years ago). I always kept an eye around when out at night in the area but never had any hassle at all. I left to move closer to work but I would have liked to buy there if I had the money, it's a grand location and most people are sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 duplavid

Thank you so much guys, much appreciated!!

Advertisement