Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VISA question - wife needs Visa for visit to US??

• 05-03-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

I'm just posting here as I'm a little confused myself after looking online and Reading information on the embassy sites. I've never had to deal with Visas before!

I am a US citizen living in Ireland (have duel citizenship so no problem to visit the US).

I got married two years ago here in Dublin to my wife who is a Brazilian citizen (she currently only has Brazilian citizenship as she is sorting out her Portuguese passport but it's taking ages due to paperwork). ...she has her Stamp 4 Visa here in Ireland.

We plan to visit the US this coming summer for a family gathering and to do some tourist stuff for a couple of weeks. So it's just a holiday really.

I understand my wife will need a Visa, but does anyone know if I just go down the route of applying for the normal tourist Visa? ...(Brazil isn't on the list of Countries for the Visa Wavier programs). If so, would she just go about the process like an Irish citizen would normally? ...(do the interview in US embassy in Ballsbridge etc).

I'm just a bit confused as what to do and how to start the process.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Why not contact the embassy directly, explain your situation, they have a contact us form you can fill in & submit online

https://ie.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

• Registered Users Posts: 23 andypants

Hi naughtysmurf,

Thanks for your reply, ...I actually did that already but they got back to me saying yes she needs a Visa, and to look at the website (nothing more, hence why I got a bit confused afterwords). ...(it seems they don't comment on individual situations regarding what sort of Visa you should apply for).

I guess I'm checking to see if anyone has been in a similar position, past experience etc?

Thanks though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

andypants wrote: »
    I understand my wife will need a Visa, but does anyone know if I just go down the route of applying for the normal tourist Visa? ...(Brazil isn't on the list of Countries for the Visa Wavier programs). If so, would she just go about the process like an Irish citizen would normally? ...(do the interview in US embassy in Ballsbridge etc).

Nonimmigrant visas are processed at the U.S. Embassy in Dublin. If you are in the Republic of Ireland, you may schedule an appointment to apply for a visa regardless of your nationality or status in the Republic of Ireland.

https://ie.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/tourism-and-visitor/where-to-apply/
    We plan to visit the US this coming summer for a family gathering and to do some tourist stuff for a couple of weeks. So it's just a holiday really.

As you said, she is not eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program so she is not eligible for ESTA. She will need a B-2 visa.
    I'm just a bit confused as what to do and how to start the process.

Start here....

https://ie.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/tourism-and-visitor/how-to-apply/

and this FAQ may be useful ....

https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ie/niv/information/faqs

Don't engage with any third party companies offering visa services, other than this company .....

The U.S. Department of State has contracted CSRA to provide all or some of the following Nonimmigrant Visa services for Ireland:

• Visa Service Information (Web, IVR and Call Center)
    • Visa Fee collection
    • Scheduling of Visa application review/interview
    • Visa documents inbound and outbound courier services

CSRA is the only entity authorized to provide these services in this country on behalf of the U.S Department of State. If you use another company to provide these services that company must still use the services on this website.

Hi Coylemj, thank you very much for your detailed response!

Kind regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah embassy visit is required in this case...

One word of warning... the J-1ers will be starting to make their embassy visits soon for their summer trips, so get in as soon as you can or you could be spending a few hours in a queue...

• Advertisement

Hi Third_Echelon, ..thanks too for the heads up, I will keep that in mind!

Kind regards

Advertisement