Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CPFC vs MUFC -FA Premier League- Kick-off :20:00- SkySp PL @ MainEv

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

I honestly think that united team could challenge for titles under a better manager. So much talent but so badly managed.

Wenger?

• So what we can deduce from this game is that Palace have no defence and Utd are still basically a very expensive collection of parts. Grand.

You can also deduce that Utd are back into 2nd again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

xabi wrote: »
    Wenger?

I hear he might be available soon.

Could you imagine?! Wins the league next year with United. AFTV go full ISIS

Sanchez lost possession THIRTY FIVE TIMES.

That’s astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Anxious to win the '2nd to City' cup are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Anxious to win the '2nd to City' cup are you?

imo there is no difference between 2nd, 3rd or 4th now that they get in auto to europe
    Once you get CL who gives a **** where you end as youve won nothing
    Give me the league cup/FA cup any day of the week over coming second in the league
    Lets say Chelsea/Spurs finish 4th but win the FA cup they have had a better season than Liverpool/United, so many get caught up in nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think I love this new obsession with how many times a player loses possession :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Are you totally happy with that performance?

Were you impressed with Sanchez and Pogba?

I think there were a lot of negatives for Utd tonight especially when you remember it was Palace they were playing. Interesting to see what happens on their final run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Quite funny looking at the Palace fans in the background cheer with relief as the Sanchez deflected shot hits the post and then see the deflation as Lukaku scores few seconds later!!

• Advertisement

I think I love this new obsession with how many times a player loses possession :D

Me too! It’s fascinating how careless he is!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Are you totally happy with that performance?

Were you impressed with Sanchez and Pogba?

I think there were a lot of negatives for Utd tonight especially when you remember it was Palace they were playing. Interesting to see what happens on their final run in.

Didnt Liverpool lose to Swansea
    Did you immediately start worrying about the run in
    United played bad and won, thats a plus not a minus
    Hyperbole fans like yourself really need to take a deep breath before talking rubbish

• irishman86 wrote: »
    Hyperbole fans like yourself really need to take a deep breath before talking rubbish

Utd win in the last minute of the game after going 2-0 down
    Absolutely buzzing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Utd win in the last minute of the game after going 2-0 down
    Absolutely buzzing :D

Great ground for comebacks :D

irishman86 wrote: »

Why can't you just discuss it without getting into insults?

I thought Utd were very poor in the 1st half and that there are problems in the team and how they are gelling as a unit.

Granted they got a win tonight and fought back well against a relegation threatened side but if I was a Utd fan I would be worried about aspects of Utd's performance tonight.

The fact that you have to go and look for one recent poor league performance of Liverpool to compare to Utd is poor as Liverpool have played very well in all other league games.

• murpho999 wrote: »

I thought Utd were very poor in the 1st half and that there are problems in the team and how they are gelling as a unit.

Granted they got a win tonight and fought back well against a relegation threatened side but if I was a Utd fan I would be worried about aspects of Utd's performance tonight.

The fact that you have to go and look for one recent poor league performance of Liverpool to compare to Utd is poor as Liverpool have played very well in all other league games.

I don't think he's insulting you.
    What you are saying could be considered hyperbolic

Loads of room to improve and issues to address.
    The same could be said for Liverpool. But you're on a little run again so it blinds the eyes of a lot of Liverpool fans.

And why wouldn't I be happy. We won the game and back into 2nd and it drops Liverpool 3rd.

Lets see what happens Saturday

• Advertisement

Because its not a discussion, its hyperbole
    Were you worried about Liverpool when they lost,
    no i picked the loss because it was against relegation candidates
    You are trying to have a dig at United which is as clear as day.
    "If i was a (insert rival teams name here) fan is one of the most obvious way of a nonsense dig
    United won a game they played bad in, i would personally take that any day of the week over a great loss to Swansea

Because its not a discussion, its hyperbole
    Were you worried about Liverpool when they lost,
    no i picked the loss because it was against relegation candidates
    You are trying to have a dig at United which is as clear as day.
    "If i was a (insert rival teams name here) fan is one of the most obvious way of a nonsense dig
    United won a game they played bad in, i would personally take that any day of the week over a great loss to Swansea

No, I wasn't. I was trying to have a discussion. Just because I'm a Liverpool supporter does not mean I can't watch games objectively or be able to debate properly.

The Swansea game for Liverpool was just a bad night that can happen. Every team loses a game but the effort and attitude of Liverpool's players could not be doubted which I think it could be said of a couple of Utd players at present and that's based on more than one match.

Of course you'll just see this as bitterness and not want to discuss it.

The same could be said for Liverpool. But you're on a little run again so it blinds the eyes of a lot of Liverpool fans.

And why wouldn't I be happy. We won the game and back into 2nd and it drops Liverpool 3rd.

If you agree that there are loads of room to improve and issues to address then how could what I say be be determined as hyperbolic?

The issues that people point about Liverpool is defence, goalkeeping and breaking defensive teams down and they have all improved over the last couple of months as evidenced in results but that is totally irrelevant to Utd's performance tonight.

No, I wasn't. I was trying to have a discussion. Just because I'm a Liverpool supporter does not mean I can't watch games objectively or be able to debate properly.

The Swansea game for Liverpool was just a bad night that can happen. Every team loses a game but the effort and attitude of Liverpool's players could not be doubted which I think it could be said of a couple of Utd players at present and that's based on more than one match.

Thats exactly how i see it buddy
    Its funny United showed loads of effort today to win that game, but hey ignore that
    I already said it buddy, there is so much hyperbole around here its beyond hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What would you consider Liverpool could improve on as a matter of interest?

Liverpool had a poor start to the season. Looking at the form over the last 20 games Liverpool have won 14, drew 5 and lost one. They've scored 53 and conceded 16. In those same 20 games United have won 13, drew 3 and lost 4. They've scored 34 and conceded 18.

I wouldn't say that's a little run in fairness.

• Advertisement

Thats exactly how i see it buddy
    Its funny United showed loads of effort today to win that game, but hey ignore that
    I already said it buddy, there is so much hyperbole around here its beyond hilarious

I think you should actually look up the meaning of the word hyperbole.

I've already said that Utd came back well and just asked about the other side of Utd's game but you clearly don't want to discuss it.

Here's how the BBC are reporting tonight's game:
    The two giants meet at Old Trafford on Saturday lunchtime and Mourinho will know that, despite this win, his team must play far better than they did for most of an underwhelming display at Selhurst Park if they are to beat Jurgen Klopp's men.

BBC Article

Basicially making the same point as me but no doubt that is just bitter hyperbole from a BBC journalist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

United have come back from deficits twice in two weeks to win games. The effort and attitude of the players in that regard is not in doubt.

The issue is in execution and sustaining good play for long periods, which is not there at the moment. I think we're a few players short of where we want to be. Lets be honest here, we are down to two wingers and our 3rd and 4th choice centre backs as our defence at the moment and that is breeding confidence in other teams when one of them shanks a clearance or doesn't win the first header.

Our attack is disjointed with moments of brilliance to dig us out of holes but for me, the issues stem from the fact that the attack is not being given a platform to play from as the defence is incredibly wobbly at times and is not calm in possession.

If Liverpool can catch us cold (not unlikely considering how we are starting games) they could win the game next week first half. But if the game wears on in a tight fashion, id fancy United to nick one.

United have come back from deficits twice in two weeks to win games. The effort and attitude of the players in that regard is not in doubt.

The issue is in execution and sustaining good play for long periods, which is not there at the moment. I think we're a few players short of where we want to be. Lets be honest here, we are down to two wingers and our 3rd and 4th choice centre backs as our defence at the moment and that is breeding confidence in other teams when one of them shanks a clearance or doesn't win the first header.

Our attack is disjointed with moments of brilliance to dig us out of holes but for me, the issues stem from the fact that the attack is not being given a platform to play from as the defence is incredibly wobbly at times and is not calm in possession.

If Liverpool can catch us cold (not unlikely considering how we are starting games) they could win the game next week first half. But if the game wears on in a tight fashion, id fancy United to nick one.

Yes, coming from behind to win is always a great way to win, particularly in injury time.

I was just surprised at the level of performance in the first half and how disjointed it was, especially in light of who the opposition was.

Saturday should be fascinating. No doubt both sides will go on with completely different mindsets. Think it will be a draw but could go either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

United do what they do. Most times I see them they are not at all impressive but they have enough individual talent to grind out wins. The downside of that is that you probably won't get away it with enough times over the course of a season to come anywhere near winning the league. For a Mourinho side I'm not even sure that they are all that great defensively but they have an absolutely world class goalkeeper which helps a lot. You couldn't say their players have chucked it though like at Arsenal or some at Chelsea. They are still putting the effort in.

Saturday looks like the classic game where both sides would be happy with a point at the end of it. Gets a diffuclt game out of the way and keeps both tipping away ahead of Chelsea in 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Berserker wrote: »
    I agree and I think that Palace will stay up

Southampton going down - I guarantee it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's not an obsession at all.

Sanchez has been renowned for it for a long, long time. Arsenal fans would always complain about it, but he would eventually score or make a significant contribution so it would (rightly) be largely forgotten about.

if he does the same for Utd consistently, nobody will care or be able to comment too much on his carelessness in possession. but if he does, it's an easy stick to beat him with.

his role in the team isn't to hold possession needlessly, which is actually the key point. he's meant to be the creative spark. he's meant to try things. he's just not quite clicking with all his teammates yet, which is perhaps understandable, which means he's a bit wayward or not quite reading his teammates properly. having said that, like the rest of the team, when the shackles were forced to be off due to the position they found themselves in, he improved immeasurably.

the talent in the team is there. the whole debate around Utd centers on Mourinho and whether he is getting the best out of them. i can't definitively decide yet to be honest.

anyway, the possession thing with Sanchez is certainly not new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Sanchez/Any attacking player who tries lots of stuff losing possession is obviously not new.

Maybe its just me then, but I have sure as **** not heard half as much about it before. I'll say no more about it right now, its not even actually a particularly relevant stat. *Main attacking creative force loses possession of ball a lot shocker*

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement