Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite craft beer bar.....Go!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Sling12 wrote: »
    Have wanted to check out Caribou. Where in Galway is it located?

Woodquay https://goo.gl/maps/PAFHohoR6c22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

He's moved on.

??

Who's he talking about?

Ronan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Bierhaus.

If up in Dublin The Beer Market.

Not a massive fan of the bar itself but often some cracking beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Is it coincidental that Wetherspoons have opened close by both locations?
    L1011 wrote: »
    Yes. Doubt it had any factor in either closing.

The DL branch was a very significant hike from 'spoons; also the DL 'spoons is like drinking on a ferry and while it always has a selection of bottled craft and cask it isn't the most interesting option. And the food is awful.

The Blackrock GBB was not like any other pub in the chain - had an offo, served macro like their other non city centre pubs but to a higher extent, had things you see in a regular locals pub like last man standing competition.

I'd disagree. When Dark Horse was in its prime, it was quiet. After Wetherspoons opened it was completely dead.

Both Wetherspoons pubs are in much better locations too (imho), as both are much closer to their respective DART stations than the GBB pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

Brewery called Perennial Artisan Ales. Delicious. But way out of my budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Any recommendations for decent craft beer spots in London lads ?? Heading over for the weekend

Sorry for hijacking the thread

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

ianob7 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for decent craft beer spots in London lads ?? Heading over for the weekend

Sorry for hijacking the thread

Euston Tap
    Any of the Draft Houses
    The Brewdog bars are ok
    Bermondsey Mile if you're there on a Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I like Underdog, the three lads are sound.

I like having a pint in TOBs also, nice little spot.

Brew Dock is my favourite of the GBB bars, by a long chalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

GBB Bars also have terrible food, so no advantage over Wetherspoons there IMHO

Underdog is my favourite in Dublin.

Worldwide there are many options of places I've loved, but Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta GA is the one I remember the most fondly. Special mention to Grote Dorst in Belgium, although it's a cafe open only a couple hours after church on sundays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭randomname2005

snowblind wrote: »

Surprised at that as The Oslo used to have great food (haven't been there in a while)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Surprised at that as The Oslo used to have great food (haven't been there in a while)

I wouldn't call it terrible. I wouldn't go there for the food but if I'm in one of them the food is fine to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

snowblind wrote: »

They don't have terrible food. Unimaginative, yes but it's good pub grub to be fair. They could certainly add some more contemporary dishes to their menus though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The Headline in Dublin.
    Salt House in Galway.

GBB food isn't the best but it is hardly terrible and it's another level compared to Wetherspoon's food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah it's nowhere near spoons but I've ordered from the menu in Dublin maybe three times. Used to be a great chef in one of the Galway one beside the traveler yard that's now shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The Headline in Dublin.
    Salt House in Galway.

GBB food isn't the best but it is hardly terrible and it's another level compared to Wetherspoon's food.

In fairness you're paying 2x to 3x as much in a GBB bar for food over spoons, and the food isn't 2x to 3x better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

n97 mini wrote: »
    In fairness you're paying 2x to 3x as much in a GBB bar for food over spoons, and the food isn't 2x to 3x better.

Don’t care about price I prefer quality meats and produced over vacuum packed food shipped over from England.

Overways were going wholly off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

Don’t care about price I prefer quality meats and produced over vacuum packed food shipped over from England.

Overways were going wholly off topic.

Agreed about going off topic. We just want to know your favourite craft beer bars in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

The Headline in Dublin.
    Salt House in Galway.

I got raw chicken wings on three separate occasions on the dark horse. Shame on me for ordering them after the second incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

I got raw chicken wings on three separate occasions on the dark horse. Shame on me for ordering them after the second incident.

What did management say when you sent the wings back?

THIS THREAD IS FOR YOUR FAVOURITE CRAFT BEER BARS IN IRELAND ONLY. NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Pmacs is nice. Always make my way over there if in d town. Great selection, nice hipsterish atmosphere. It's all good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The Tap Room at Rathmullan House serving all things Kinnegar along with awesome pizza: https://www.rathmullanhouse.com/the-tap-room.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dellboy54 wrote: »
    THIS THREAD IS FOR YOUR FAVOURITE CRAFT BEER BARS IN IRELAND ONLY. NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hi all can we get this thread back on topic please....we all know the drill by now..first and last warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

The beerhouse Capel/Dorset st. Used to live beside it and loved their selection.

Also like the black sheep and brew dock, esp for grub and their seasonal selection.

Blackbird is nice, great smoking area but it can get a bit hectic on weekends (I've turned into an aul one and like quieter pubs/ drinking times)

(All Dublin)

Passenger wrote: »

What did management say when you sent the wings back?
    They apologized profusely, brought out a new batch and gave them for free.
    L Mulligan Grocer is my favorite craft beer bar in Ireland. Great selection of beer with exceptional food and atmosphere,  it certainly doesn't feel like a cheap cookie cutter craft chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sling12

Not sure if its a total craft beer bar but Sin e is a good spot and has a good selection on tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Salt House and Oslo both have large selections of craft beer, some good and some outright awful. You just have to try them all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »
    Salt House and Oslo both have large selections of craft beer, some good and some outright awful. You just have to try them all :)

Neither are a patch on Bierhaus or Caribou for service, friendliness, food or events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

The Roadside Tavern in Lisdoonvarna, not a craft beer pub but they do have there own brewery that produces Burren Red, one of my favorite beers ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In Amsterdam for the weekend, so we caught the ferry over to the Northside last night to visit the Walhalla & Oedipus taprooms. Walhalla is newly opened so still finding its groove. Oedipus was hopping, with a jazz band & DJ, and a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Last night we went to Brouwerij de Prael just off the RLD. Great space, good looking food and atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Love craft beers but at 43 am I slightly old for some of the cooler craft beer pubs!!

Pmac's is good and there was a particular barman who came out from behind the bar to tell me why they had stopped selling a beer I'd asked for and nice beers of a similar style!! Now that's customer service.
    I've also been in Mulligans in Stonybatter for food as well as drink....lovely.
    The 108 in rathgar is close to me and they've always had a good selection of beers and a nice atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Over in Manchester a few months. All the taprooms are warehouse based. Much better idea and hope it can take off in Dublin asap although not sure where they could go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Rascals are opening one in that style in Inchicore.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Currently in Bierhaus Galway for the first time. Could be my new favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

BeerNut wrote: »
    Rascals are opening one in that style in Inchicore.

Hope have one ready to go in Kilbarrack too, all they need to do is hook the lines up to the taps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

RasTa wrote: »
    Over in Manchester a few months. All the taprooms are warehouse based. Much better idea and hope it can take off in Dublin asap although not sure where they could go.
    Have you visited Beer Noveau and Grub.

Kaapse Brouwers in Rotterdam, visited today and was not let down. 30 taps or so with plenty of Dutch breweries to choose from, even had Galway Bay’s Of Foam and Fury still on tap from a promotion last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Abbots Ale House.

Always liked it.. even more since the changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

OOnegative wrote: »
    Kaapse Brouwers in Rotterdam, visited today and was not let down. 30 taps or so with plenty of Dutch breweries to choose from, even had Galway Bay’s Of Foam and Fury still on tap from a promotion last week.
    Good of you to go scouting for us in advance of our assault next weekend. :)
    I really liked Proeflokaal Arendsnest in Amsterdam, when I visited during my last trip to the Netherlands, so will like visit again on Monday-week on my way back to Schiphol.

Good of you to go scouting for us in advance of our assault next weekend. :)

I just had to scratch the itch to see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Another vote for Underdog. Good beer and friendly staff.

Underdog taking the lead so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sling12

Porterhouse Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Been to Underdog twice so far, just haven't taken to it at all, first time left waiting a while whilst both barmen were chatting with others, second time it just felt a bit pokey and drab.

Porterhouse Central or Against the Grain in Dublin.

Warpigs globally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Been to Underdog twice so far, just haven't taken to it at all, first time left waiting a while whilst both barmen were chatting with others, second time it just felt a bit pokey and drab.

Warpigs globally.

Before Underdog it was Against the Grain for me. The last time I was in ATG I ordered a drink that was about 5.5% and was told it was in a small glass. Fair enough but when I went to get the third the barmaid had left and when I went to check the name the board it said it was a pint. I pointed this out, got a shrug of the shoulders off the new barmaid and no offer to compensate me for the money I lost.

Swings and roundabouts with staff I suppose.

Warpigs globally.
    I agree with this totally, also there is 4 euro difference in the price of mariage parfait in underdog and porterhouse temple bar. I take the porterhouse over underdog any day.

Another welcome addition to The Hague if your visiting is De Prael Brouwerij, only opened last weekend but certainly looks the business with 15 taps of there own brews on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cibala

Blue moon

• Advertisement
Advertisement