Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valid dates or not?

Options
  • 05-03-2018 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    Here's a quick question. If your lease agreement says to pay rent every 29th of each month, can this misinterpreted?
    For example, when it's not 29th February.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Legally, who knows.

But only an a**hole would try it in practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'm sure you would get away with the 1st of March for payment, I assume that's what your asking? And not asking if you don't have to pay rent for the month for February, because that would be a very silly idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I'd say rent in Feb should be in the bank by the 27th as clearly the requirement of the 29th is ment to ensure rent is in before the end if the month. The first would be the very latest but is in breach of the spirit of the agreement IMHO. Using it as a technicality would be idiotic and you'd be rightly laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The rent needs to be paid.
    The first would be the very latest but is in breach of the spirit of the agreement IMHO
    Not really. If the landlord can't contemplate things like this, it isn't the tenant's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Rent is normally paid in advance not arrears. If the 29th doesn't exist as in a non leap year February, or if the 29th is a bank holiday or Sunday or similar, then it should be paid before the 29th.

Technically the 1st is in arrears, as is the 30th and 31st if applicable. Unless a grace period is agreed in the lease/RA.

Remember, paying and being received by a LL are two different things. Some people think it's ok to set up a bank transfer on the 29th for the rent to go out. If a LL is receiving it several days later, it can piss them off. Especially if they need it in the a/c by the 29th in order to pay the mortgage, or some other outgoing.

Personally, if it's a day or two late it wouldn't bother me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement