Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed new hotels in Cork

Options
  • 05-03-2018 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be deserving of its own thread.. Potentially lots of new hotels / rooms are at various stages of planning / development in the city. By my count, over 1,200 in the list below, and that's excluding a few that I can't find any capacity for. This should really help a lot with demand if/when the event centre ever is built - and used!

(Apologies for any errors, lots of contradictions in the press reports; and some use 'beds' and 'bedrooms' interchangeably!)
    • "M" hotel (Trigon Hotels, St. Patrick's Quay / Harleys Street) 228 beds
    • Sullivan's Quay (BAM) 193/220 beds, depending on proposed alterations.
    • Metropole redevelopment (Trigon Hotels) 183+ beds (I think these are all new rooms)
    • Maldron (Parnell Place, in construction) 165 beds
    • Horgan's Quay (BAM, Clarendon properties)136 beds
    • Custom House Quay 136 beds
    • Floatel, Horgan's Quay 96 beds
    • Kingsley redevelopment 63 new beds
    • Boutique hotel and hostel (Parnell Place, I've seen no capacities listed for these)

Those should take the number of beds up around the 3,500 mark? In one article, I saw mention that Killarney has approximately 16,000 hotel beds - does it really have that many?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Thanks! Just saw that.

These developments will make a huge difference to McCurtain St.; between the new hotel "M", the Metropole redevelopment (which looks significant, re-introducing shops at the ground level?), not to mention the pedestrian bridge due to start this year. It's really improved a lot in a few short years. It'd be great if the footpaths in the area could be relaid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

who_me wrote: »
    Thanks! Just saw that.

These developments will make a huge difference to McCurtain St.; between the new hotel "M", the Metropole redevelopment (which looks significant, re-introducing shops at the ground level?), not to mention the pedestrian bridge due to start this year. It's really improved a lot in a few short years. It'd be great if the footpaths in the area could be relaid too.
    It is significant, looking at about 3 years construction time and yes there will be retail at the ground level. The new development given planning today is going to be 8 floors where the current Windsor Hotel is, massive given the surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Interesting amount of new development planned! Arent the M hotel and metropole hotel the same though?

fiload wrote: »
    Interesting amount of new development planned! Arent the M hotel and metropole hotel the same though?

They'll be 'joined' by a pedestrian walkway over Harley St., but they're two different hotels. The Metropole is being redeveloped and expanded, and the M is a brand new 'urban' hotel on the other side of Harley St.; there's an empty car dealer building ("PJ O'Hea") there now. Over 400 new beds planned, between the two.

I guess the M is intended to appeal to a younger market who might want a more modern hotel, and the Metropole will continue to be a more classic, old-styled hotel for the older market?

It'll certainly make the epicentre of the Jazz festival a lot bigger!

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    It is significant, looking at about 3 years construction time and yes there will be retail at the ground level. The new development given planning today is going to be 8 floors where the current Windsor Hotel is, massive given the surroundings.

Funny how the image on the Echo snips off the extra floors, making it look unchanged. Having a look at the planning application, I think it looks fine! Bar a really drab colour. I've a pet hatred for boxy buildings, and at least they've made an effort to add some detail and shape to the roof.

I guess we'll see soon enough what it's like in person (I just realised I'll be staring at this from my bedroom window).

Do you have a link to the plans.

Do you have a link to the plans.

Sure, it's http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1737657/0

If the direct link doesn't work, search for: 1737657

Sure, it's http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1737657/0

If the direct link doesn't work, search for: 1737657

Sorry,I meant pictures of it.

Sorry,I meant pictures of it.

Yeah, there are pictures attached. I don't know if it's ok to copy images from the planning site, but if you click "View Scanned Files", click through the disclaimer, then you can view all the docs including the images.

Try the "3D Views" and "Sections and Elevations" jpeg links. (Sorry, direct linking to the files doesn't work).

• Advertisement

FYI, demolition has started on the old Revenue buildings on Sullivan's Quay. From the images I've seen they're starting on the Southern side, but if/when the riverside is knocked there'll be a fair-sized hole in the skyline looking down along the Grand Parade!

As far as I'm aware, planning isn't yet finalised. They'd want to get building quick, or people in the area will start getting used to the sunlight coming through the windows. :)

FYI, demolition has started on the old Revenue buildings on Sullivan's Quay. From the images I've seen they're starting on the Southern side, but if/when the riverside is knocked there'll be a fair-sized hole in the skyline looking down along the Grand Parade!

As far as I'm aware, planning isn't yet finalised. They'd want to get building quick, or people in the area will start getting used to the sunlight coming through the windows. :)
    For some reason the planning decision has been put back to May...

I know BAM have requested a second alteration to the plans, increasing the capacity to 220 rooms. Not sure if that's the cause of the delay.

I know BAM have requested a second alteration to the plans, increasing the capacity to 220 rooms. Not sure if that's the cause of the delay.
    That was approved and subsequently appealed by An Taisce and a local business owner. Decision on the appeal is due on May 11th.

Article here on the BAM / Sullivan's Quay proposal.

Not much new info, but one of the councillors did mention "a high-rise bar". I'm not too sure what that means - a rooftop bar on the tower? Would have good views of the river, down the length of Grand Parade and across the city centre. Though if the Electric balcony area was anything to go by, the smoking area will be f-f-f-reezing. :)

Updates:

- Permission has been granted for a 16-bed hostel above Brick Lane (South Main St.)

- The owners of the old Clancy's bar premises have applied for planning permission for a 29 room hotel.

Also from the 1st article:
    - There are rumours of a hostel on Morrison's Island.
    - The City Council have sold the two buildings on Parnell Place (I assume the two buildings immediately adjacent to the bus station, hopefully they got a good price given the timings). These are referenced in the initial post, as being intended as a hostel and boutique hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Updates:

- Permission has been granted for a 16-bed hostel above Brick Lane (South Main St.)

- The owners of the old Clancy's bar premises have applied for planning permission for a 29 room hotel.

Also from the 1st article:
    - There are rumours of a hostel on Morrison's Island.
    - The City Council have sold the two buildings on Parnell Place (I assume the two buildings immediately adjacent to the bus station, hopefully they got a good price given the timings). These are referenced in the initial post, as being intended as a hostel and boutique hotel.

I hope he'll treat tourist better that he treated his staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Cape Clear wrote: »

If you are referring to the sudden closure of the former Clancy's Bar on Prince's Street/Marlboro Street in Cork City, I understand from press reports that the owner of the premises in question had been leasing it out since November, 2010 until it's closure in February, 2017 so; I'm not sure if it was within his remit to inform employees as he was the landlord of the premises during this period.

Below is a press report with further background information.

Source:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/40-staff-get-stay-home-texts-as-clancys-bar-shuts-down-442869.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Cape Clear wrote: »

I think you will find that the person who leased the premises let go the staff, not the building owner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Whatever happened to the hotel that was being built on morrisons island right behing bank of Ireland?

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the hotel that was being built on morrisons island right behing bank of Ireland?

Seemed to be externally finished, then... nothing.

I generally like conserving interesting old buildings, but even I couldn't really see the point in that. The windows in that building are so tiny they really aren't suitable for a hotel. Maybe if they'd knocked out sections of the wall between one window and the next one above it, creating much taller windows? But as it stands, you have South-facing, riverside hotel and tiny port-holes to look out at it!

I just checked online, and one of the planning applications was extended from '13 to July '18. Since there seems to be nothing happening at the moment, I'd guess it's dead.

The Wilton redevelopment includes another 190 bedroom hotel.

If all these proposals come off, that's well over 1,500 new rooms in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 trik

Does anybody know if any these hotels will be part of chains like Hilton or Marriot, etc?

I think most haven't yet been announced. The new hotel on Parnell Place will be a Maldron, and the Metropole redevelopment and the new "M" will probably be run by Trigon hotels. The floatel is being set up by "Sick and Sore Ltd" but they may just be the investors and not the franchise.

trik wrote: »
    Does anybody know if any these hotels will be part of chains like Hilton or Marriot, etc?

Sullivan’s Quay is rumored to be Marriott but things are moving eerily slow on site since they got planning....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

snotboogie wrote:
    Sullivan’s Quay is rumored to be Marriott but things are moving eerily slow on site since they got planning....

I think there is an objection from the college beside them that is currently holding it up

snotboogie wrote:

I think there is an objection from the college beside them that is currently holding it up

I thought that they had cleared all appeals and objections? My understanding is that they now have full planning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Planning was granted at the end of June going by this - Planning given for hotel tower on Sullivan’s Quay

Update (thanks to recent posts in Cork Developments thread) :

- The Horgan's Quay hotel is to be called The Dean, run by Oakmount.
    - Planning has also been granted for a 192 bed hostel on Morrison's Island.

By my reckoning, that takes the number of new beds well up over 1,700, if all these pan out.

• Advertisement

Update

- A 58 bed hotel is planned for the former National Irish Bank on the South Mall.
    - A 284 bed hostel is planned for the former Tourist Office on the Grand Parade.

That should take the (potential) total well up over 2,000 new beds in the city.

Advertisement