Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on Lodgers Rent

Options
  • 05-03-2018 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi,

Querying for my Mum. She has taken in a lodger for a few months. All is going really well.
    She is wondering about charging rent for time that her lodger is away.
    He is at Mums from Sunday evening to Friday morning.
    Last week, due to the weather he left on Thursday. Mum is wondering if this should be reflected in his rent? Also, she thinks she should reduce his rent for the days he will not stay with her over Saint Patricks' Day weekend.

What is the norm in such circumstances?

Thanks in advance,
    Twelve Bar Blues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OUTOFCONTROL

Hi,

Querying for my Mum. She has taken in a lodger for a few months. All is going really well.
    Last week, due to the weather he left on Thursday. Mum is wondering if this should be reflected in his rent? Also, she thinks she should reduce his rent for the days he will not stay with her over Saint Patricks' Day weekend.

Thanks in advance,
    Twelve Bar Blues
    I think it would be the decent thing to do. The World is money mad. He wont be using electricity etc and other services when hes gone.
    Your mother sounds like a decent skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I think it would be the decent thing to do. The World is money mad. He wont be using electricity etc and other services when hes gone.

If his stuff is still in the bedroom I would be charging him for it. Even if he isn’t here, the fact his stuff is in still in the room means he still has exclusive use of it

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

It wouldn't amount to a lot, but she likes to be as fair as can be. It's her first time doing this. She's put a tv and android box in his room, puts on fires for him in her sitting-room for the nights that she's at work, and always worrying about what to cook for him! He's also a very good lodger, young fella, quiet but can have a chat with Mum. It's turned out really well thank god.
    I'm gonna see what is the general consensus on the rent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I'd disagree with Outofcontrol.
    The room was still available for the lodger's use and his stuff was still there.
    The problem really is precedent. If the lodger realises he won't be charged rent for days he's not there, he might be tempted to stay away the odd day to save money - essentially penny-pinching, which your mother then loses out on.

If he's away for an entire week or most of the week, that's a different story - maybe your mother will also benefit from the break of having no lodger. But just because he chose to leave early on a Thursday doesn't mean he should get a day's refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
    Twelve Bar Blues
    If the mother doesn’t have use of the room. Then I’d charge, just because he is not there does not mean that he is not using the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I would charge for time not there when they would normally be there. I'd negotiate reduced rent for holidays etc when there is plenty of notice.

Just not being there and expecting a reduction isn't reasonable and shouldn't be encouraged.

Tenigate wrote: »
    I'd disagree with Outofcontrol.
    The room was still available for the lodger's use and his stuff was still there.
    The problem really is precedent. If the lodger realises he won't be charged rent for days he's not there, he might be tempted to stay away the odd day to save money - essentially penny-pinching, which your mother then loses out on.

If he's away for an entire week or most of the week, that's a different story - maybe your mother will also benefit from the break of having no lodger. But just because he chose to leave early on a Thursday doesn't mean he should get a day's refund.

Thanks for your reply.
    This is pretty much exactly what I had said to Mum.

I would charge for time not there when they would normally be there. I'd negotiate reduced rent for holidays etc when there is plenty of notice.

Just not being there and expecting a reduction isn't reasonable and shouldn't be encouraged.

In fairness, he hasn't asked for a reduction or brought it up. It's just herself considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Don't forget, the money is tax free but you still need to declare it. I'd keep things as simple as possible for that reason alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

In fairness, he hasn't asked for a reduction or brought it up. It's just herself considering it.

Then, As someone said above, offering it would most likely lead to an increase in him not being there to save money and would turn a great relationship sour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

You can always just buy him a small Christmas gift instead. The android box was a smart example, something that promotes more use of his bedroom so you get extra peace.

Advertisement