Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Water problems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Thanks for that Thomas...and now the sport...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What do we expect with no real investment in infrastructure for decades, expect more situations like drogheda in dublin in the years to come.

Also the morons leaving their taps on during the snow obviously didn't help either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Fook..... my central heating is about to conk out due to low pressure in the boiler. If I can't get more water into the system (and I can't at the moment) - that's the end of my heating :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm keeping some snow in my green bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Just remember the following and you'll be ok:

"if it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, fling it out the window"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

they're looking for water from the Shannon straight away

serves them right for living in the driest part of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Dopes running their taps and filling their baths with water 'just in case'. Same happened in 2010. Water charges would have helped curtail some of this behaviour!

And then of course there is the creaking infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No way, we won't pay.

#right2water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This is going to turn into Irish Water thread #1,731. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Blame all those who refused to pay water charges for an improved service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Absolutely, this was inevitable from the time people started opposing water charges.

Where is Paul Murphy now? If he does surface, he will be blaming the government, when it was people like him who have caused this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

hahah can't pay won't pay. Enjoy your third world water you clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

This will be used as a political football for water charges.

What about those of us who wanted to pay?

ETA - maybe "wanted" is overstating it - didn't object to paying.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What about those of us who wanted to pay?

ETA - maybe "wanted" is overstating it - didn't object to paying.

My sympathies to you. You are surrounded by idiots.

My sympathies to you. You are surrounded by idiots.
    Sympathy won't fill my central heating system :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yes, indeed, no doubt every cent of revenue raised by water charges would have gone directly into the water infrastructure system. Yep, indeedy, it totally would have. Had we paid the charges, we'd have had a world class water treatment & delivery service by now.

Inviere wrote: »
    Yes, indeed, no doubt every cent of revenue raised by water charges would have gone directly into the water infrastructure system. Yep, indeedy, it totally would have. Had we paid the charges, we'd have had a world class water treatment & delivery service by now.

It would have been metered so that would have stopped the abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    This will be used as a political football for water charges.

Proper order too. Arseholes like Paul Murphy, Mick Wallace, and Brendan Ogle made it into a political football in the first place. Imagine having to spend the price of a bag of spuds a week for proper investment in our creaking water infrastructure? Those goons ought to be ashamed of themselves.

• Advertisement

Yep, and the revenue raised would have covered the real issue (the not fit for purpose Victorian era infrastructure). I fully believe it.

Proper order too. Arseholes like Paul Murphy, Mick Wallace, and Brendan Ogle made it into a political football in the first place. Imagine having to spend the price of a bag of spuds a week for proper investment in our creaking water infrastructure? Those goons ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I rather think many, myself included, have no objection whatsoever to a fairly metered water treatment & delivery service whereby raised capital is directly reinvested back into the system, and obviously covers associated costs. Many, however, were not convinced that such revenue would be reinvested back into the system itself. Many, instead, likely believed that it was step one of a privatization plan which would have made a LOT of revenue, which wouldn't have made its way back into the water infrastructure.

I’m not going to get into it. Couldn’t be bothered. It’ll be used as an excuse to spend nothing on water infrastructure anymore. At the time I couldn’t afford it and opposed it out of desperation. Now I could afford it but it’ll just be ramped up pricewise and only a percentage would go on water.
    I’ve said enough already. I’m not going to speak more on the issue

I’m not going to get into it. Couldn’t be bothered. It’ll be used as an excuse to spend nothing on water infrastructure anymore. At the time I couldn’t afford it and opposed it out of desperation. Now I could afford it but it’ll just be ramped up pricewise and only a percentage would go on water.
    I’ve said enough already. I’m not going to speak more on the issue

It will end up costing you more as they find the money from other tax areas that half the non working country will avoid. You'll fully subsidise them and the heavy users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I rather think many, myself included, have no objection whatsoever to a fairly metered water treatment & delivery service whereby raised capital is directly reinvested back into the system, and obviously covers associated costs. Many, however, were not convinced that such revenue would be reinvested back into the system itself. Many, instead, likely believed that it was step one of a privatization plan which would have made a LOT of revenue, which wouldn't have made its way back into the water infrastructure.

And that belief was based on nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I certainly wouldn't trust either Fine Gael or Fianna Fail not to eventually privatise the country's water infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

Can you run a dishwasher cycle on reduced water pressure? Have it ready to switch on but reduced water pressure from 7 to 7

It will end up costing you more as they find the money from other tax areas that half the non working country will avoid. You'll fully subsidise them and the heavy users.

Stop pulling me into a conversation on this. I don’t mind a bit of my tax going to the needy. It will be privatized. Price will be ramped up like bin charges. Now they can fine you if a kid eating toast drops it in your green bin on his way to school.
    It’s Fine Gael 101 we cant run it give it to a private company. After years of disdain shown to the average man do you think Fine Gael will say “hey lads we have privatized everything here’s a tax cut” or will they say “hey big corporation we have privatized everything here’s some tax cuts.
    I know what my monies on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

Can you run a dishwasher cycle on reduced water pressure? Have it ready to switch on but reduced water pressure from 7 to 7

Im not sure but Dublin water have asked people not to use the dishwasher.

• Advertisement

thomasj wrote: »
    Im not sure but Dublin water have asked people not to use the dishwasher.

The worse thing that’ll happen is your dishwasher will stop working. When you get pressure turn it off and on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Like so many other principled stances of objection, the fact that it had to be paid for by people obviously didn't factor at all in to the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

It's a good thing we are already paying for water services through our income tax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Creative83 wrote: »
    It's a good thing we are already paying for water services through our income tax

Given our pathetic public services, we're clearly not paying enough.

Or should I say the mugs stuck on middle income need to be squeezed more to fund services that large swathes of the public expect but won't pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Blame everyone esp those who have spent years, decades prevaricating as greater Dublin's population rose by about 40% in 40 years and a new generation of water-heavy technologies in industry and at home became the norm.

The Shannon needs to be tapped in to, new reservoirs need building. New mains need laying and it all needs paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Don't see what the big deal is, there's loadsa water in my tap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Cool another IW thread. Full of the usual suspects whinging about those that stood up to the government.lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Blame everyone esp those who have spent years, decades prevaricating as greater Dublin's population rose by about 40% in 40 years and a new generation of water-heavy technologies in industry and at home became the norm.

The Shannon needs to be tapped in to, new reservoirs need building. New mains need laying and it all needs paying for.

May I suggest we start charging he Catholic Church tax on the property & land it has accumulated?

Third world water?What does first world water look like? Is it similar to third world water and the taste is it the same?

Would it have filled the reservoirs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The perennial question.... is is safe to leave the central heating going when water pressure is low?

My heating also heats the water in the hot press, sometimes to alarming levels!

My head is telling me that the cylinder will fill up during high pressure times and all will be ok, and the central heating is a closed system I think, like circulating the same water in the rads. Other than that I'm clueless and always worry about something blowing up!

Use the sink, cheaper.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Third world water?What does first world water look like? Is it similar to third world water and the taste is it the same?

It trickles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

begbysback wrote: »
    May I suggest we start charging he Catholic Church tax on the property & land it has accumulated?

I wouldn't suggest a sectarian tax myself! The government can borrow billions at a long term rate of a about half nothing over half a century.

It trickles.

Mine is fine no trickle and I live in Ireland unlike you.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Sounds great "a bag of spuds a week" which most people could stomach..but the bag of spuds would eventually be a Kings ransom every week here in greedy Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The problem for most people, wasn't paying for water. It was how the entire implementation was handled and literally rammed in, as in typical government style and one more thing to note, it was literally brought in right after a property tax. To me the point wasn't the water, it was the fact the government where pulling a very fine fúckin-g fast one. It was rightly so stopped in it's tracks.

I guess after the inception of Irish Water cost the taxpayer about two billion euros, people were wondering how that money was going to be recouped. Personally, I feel most, maybe all, of the current political parties, no matter how they're viewed, have at least some redeeming qualities (except the looney left). Fianna Gael though, they're a different breed of b@stard. I'd put very very little stock in any reassurance from that shower.

TallGlass wrote:
    The problem for most people, wasn't paying for water. It was how the entire implementation was handled and literally rammed in, as in typical government style and one more thing to note, it was literally brought in right after a property tax. To me the point wasn't the water, it was the fact the government where pulling a very fine fúckin-g fast one. It was rightly so stopped in it's tracks.

My favourite was the laughing yoga classes for Irish water staff, value for money there.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Stop pulling me into a conversation on this. I don’t mind a bit of my tax going to the needy. It will be privatized. Price will be ramped up like bin charges. Now they can fine you if a kid eating toast drops it in your green bin on his way to school.
    It’s Fine Gael 101 we cant run it give it to a private company. After years of disdain shown to the average man do you think Fine Gael will say “hey lads we have privatized everything here’s a tax cut” or will they say “hey big corporation we have privatized everything here’s some tax cuts.
    I know what my monies on.

I thought you weren’t going to say any more on the topic? Just because you don’t want to talk about it doesn’t mean we can’t.

“Stop pulling me into a conversation on this” ffs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement