Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Water problems

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭Allinall

Spare a thought for my neighbors here in south Tipperary. Kerosene leaked into the river feeding their new treatment system. https://www.nationalist.ie/news/home/300996/tipperary-water-do-not-drink-warning-for-fethard-public-water-supply.html

I heard about that.

You’d need more than a couple of Rennies to shake off that indigestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

40 years ago, local government funding was irrevocably damaged by the decision to abolish property tax. A tax which included an element of water charges. The same tax we shared with the North, and which they still continue with. £160 out of every annual property tax in the North goes to water services, and they have a much lower leakage rate. Along with other factors it does make their property tax very expensive.
    what is "very expensive" is it much more than the virtually non existant "property tax down here? .18%, yet income tax is charged at 51% over E34,750 i.e a low income in dublin. So the rate of income tax at the marginal rate, v the property tax is 283!!!

Now lets get to the reason of the scandalous reason to be massively reliant on income tax, because there are no water charges and virtually no property tax... I wont drag the thread off topic with the outgoings that are bleeding the taxpayer dry...

So i just went onto the calculator for rates in NI. seems to average out around 750 pound for the eleven districts, that for a £100,000 property. So I just checked South Dublin Co. Co. for a property valued at up to €100,000, you pay E76 a year!!! E191 on a property valued from 100,000 up to 150,000! LOL, this banana republic is unbelievable...

https://lpsni.gov.uk/calc/index.htm
    https://lpt.revenue.ie/lpt-web/reckoner/lpt.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Idbatterim wrote:
    So i just went onto the calculator for rates in NI. seems to average out around 750 pound for the eleven districts, that for a £100,000 property. So I just checked South Dublin Co. Co. for a property valued at up to €100,000, you pay E76 a year!!! E191 on a property valued from 100,000 up to 150,000! LOL, this banana republic is unbelievable...

Since you couldn't even give the correct figure of LPT up to 100k I'm just going to assume the rest of your post is a ill informed rant. Cool edit btw.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Since you couldn't even give the correct figure of LPT up to 100k I'm just going to assume the rest of your post is a ill informed rant. Cool edit btw.

please correct the figures provided to me by the calculator then! Also its neither here nor there, you are going to argue with me, that there is **** all charged on property here? Dont bother...

Idbatterim wrote:
    please correct the figures provided to me by the calculator then! Also its neither here nor there, you are going to argue with me, that there is **** all charged on property here? Dont bother...

Income tax at 51%... b.s.
    Minimum LPT 90 euro.
    Not sure why I bothered except to call out some of your rant as nonsense.

Income tax at 51%... b.s.
    Minimum LPT 90 euro.
    Not sure why I bothered except to call out some of your rant as nonsense.

Period *

Local Authority *
    South Dublin County Council

Property Value band *
    1: €0 - €100,000

LPT Charge (basic rate)
    €90

Local Authority Reduction @ -15%
    €14

LPT Charge (including Local Authority Deduction)
    €76

The base rate is 90 euro. It is in the gift of LA's to increase or decrease the amount of LPT by up to 15%. So the point holds.

just reinforces my point, people paying virtually nothing into the system, then others on every single thousand over E34,750 pay about E510 in the E1000. Im assuming thats grand though?

Idbatterim wrote:
    just reinforces my point, people paying virtually nothing into the system, then others on every single thousand over E34,750 pay about E510 in the E1000. Im assuming thats grand though?

Everyone pays tax of one variety or another. If you feel you're paying too much tax, maybe move to a low tax economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Hurrache wrote: »
    Yet another problem of unrestricted economic migration into the city.

Where's the bleeding heart liberals now? If it wasn't for all the culchies coming here tekin our jobs we'd have plenty of water.

Not only did we take your water we also took your jobs and your wimmins :p

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

Now obviously I hadn't been paying attention before (probably because of the point I'm making!)

but I don't ever remember hearing a word about water problems in Dublin before the water meters.

What where we doing beforehand that managed to work, and now somehow doesn't, just so happening to be around the time of water meters?

Suspect-a-licious.

And to all the ones chiming in about regretting paying for water, you'd have made Stalin happy, what with your usefulness and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Have a guess when this was published:

Dublin City Council has confirmed that piping water from Lough Derg during flood times is a preferred option for dealing with a projected water shortage in the greater Dublin area.

Have a guess when this was published:

Dublin City Council has confirmed that piping water from Lough Derg during flood times is a preferred option for dealing with a projected water shortage in the greater Dublin area.

What do I win if I guess correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Frankie_Jaeger

drillyeye wrote: »
    What do I win if I guess correctly?

A glass of water!

A glass of water!

With a teeny tiny water meter attached to the glass's rim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Frankie_Jaeger

With a teeny tiny water meter attached to the glass's rim?

No. Paul Murphy won't let me put one on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Now obviously I hadn't been paying attention before (probably because of the point I'm making!)

but I don't ever remember hearing a word about water problems in Dublin before the water meters.

What where we doing beforehand that managed to work, and now somehow doesn't, just so happening to be around the time of water meters?

Suspect-a-licious.

And to all the ones chiming in about regretting paying for water, you'd have made Stalin happy, what with your usefulness and all.

There has been warnings of water shortages, particularly in the Dublin area, since the late 80s early 90s when leaks on the network were estimated to account for up to a 50% loss.
    There was a time when money and will was available to deal with it, but never acted upon over how to implement a charging method.
    How many people remember the complete overhaul of the gas network system that took years to complete, with huge disruption to the country, but it got done and its done now.
    They could easily do the same with water if they put their minds to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are you referring to the droughts that tend to happen if Dublin gets nice weather, such as summer of 2013?

I'm guessing that the only difference now is that IW has more of an idea where the leaks are now, as opposed to before when it'd largely be a guessing game unless it became visible on the surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Suspect-a-licious.

Yeah you havent been paying attention for quite a long time, i remember RTE had a pretty upfront program on it in the mid to late 2000's that laid it out plain how bad a situation the network was in and even that was deffinitely not the first time id heard the 50% loss number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

There were water restrictions in place last time we had a big freeze in Dublin in 2010 and 2011.

Suspect-a-licious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

VinLieger wrote: »
    I love the wanton ignorance in this deflection argument, great in your mind you've not paid twice for something but the water system is still fubar so whats next?
    What's next is not my problem..And you should look at your own comment with regard to ignorance..Do you or others like you think that water has been flowing into our homes miraciously for free since the foundation of the state..You should go and kop yourself on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Idbatterim wrote:

Everyone pays tax of one variety or another. If you feel you're paying too much tax, maybe move to a low tax economy.
    Literally what i'm going to be doing in a few months :D

Advertisement