Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modern languages vs languages in arts

• 05-03-2018 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

What’s the difference between the modern languages course and the BA arts course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

Hi there :)
    I'm coming to the end of my first year in Modern Languages (Spanish and Italian) and have a few friends studying languages through arts.
    The courses are very similar with a few differences.

BAML:
    -You must take 2 languages to degree level. So as a first year, you take 2 languages with the choice of choosing a 3rd.
    -You must take a course specific module called Shaping Europe, which focuses on different areas throughout European History.
    (Your other modules will include a mix of cultural or linguistic modules depending on the languages you take and your personal interests.)
    -Erasmus is compulsory. All students taking this course must study abroad in third year.

General Arts:
    -You choose 3 subjects in first year. For example, my friend takes Spanish, Italian and Linguistics and is in all the same modules as me. However, at the end of first year she drops one of her subjects. So if she didn't like onw of the languages as much as she expected, she can drop it completely whereas I don't have this option.
    -Erasmus is optional (and apparently quite competitive) There are limited erasmus places offered to students for and are determined by your results.

We are mixed in with general arts students for everything, as well as people doing business and a language etc. General arts is more open as you're not tied down to two languages from the get go and you have the oppurtunity to study a subject completely unassociated with languages.

To give you an idea, atm my modules are Spanish, Italian, Language Use and Communication, Introduction to Linguistics, Reading Hispanic Texts, Shaping Europe and Making Italy.
    If I was in general arts, my subjects would not be limited to linguistic and cutural modules only. I could study my two languages with Geography, Psychology, Politics etc.

If you've any more qs let me know!

Advertisement