Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Engineer Career outlook 2018

Options
  • 05-03-2018 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I'm in first year engineering (NUIG) and have to specialize soon.

I've been stuck between Civil and Mechanical. But I always hear the money,opportunities and jobs are better in Mechanical.

What's the salary like for mechanical in 2018. Is it looking up or down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What's the salary like for mechanical in 2018. Is it looking up or down?

Wayy too broad a question. What fraction of mechanical engineers even stay specifically in that area after graduation, I'd guess half at most, many go onto other areas such as the financial sector, programming etc.

In any case the salary question you as a 1st yr college student shouldn't be asking, engineers are in big demand, so don't worry about the salary, it will almost definitely been enough whether you are a civil or mechanical engineer, instead go explore both and go with whichever you have more of an interest in.

There is a long thread on boards somewhere bemoaning the low salaries in civil engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Tefral

I work in the M&E Sector.. Get into the Mech Eng. There are so few, the fees are higher and as a result the wages are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

I'd say I'll choose mechanical, as I have all the options in the world then, I could go into construction,finance to automation and more. Where as Civil seems to be more confined to Construction or Water.

However I fear I will find mechanical more difficult. Still wrapping my head around MatLab. :rolleyes:

What would be the highest paying specialties in Mechanical Engineering (excluding the likes of finance)?

However I fear I will find mechanical more difficult. .................

No doubt. Most will, that's why civil folk are two a penny in comparison.

• Advertisement

I'd say I'll choose mechanical, as I have all the options in the world then, I could go into construction,finance to automation and more. Where as Civil seems to be more confined to Construction or Water.

However I fear I will find mechanical more difficult. Still wrapping my head around MatLab. :rolleyes:

What would be the highest paying specialties in Mechanical Engineering (excluding the likes of finance)?

I dont know one person from my whole course who uses matlab in their job. I only ever used it in first year, then never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I dont know one person from my whole course who uses matlab in their job. I only ever used it in first year, then never again.
    It's not how to use the tool that's important, it's what you learn along the way (laying out models, understanding interactions between components, how systems work together, coding your experiement, bug fixing...)
    I used matlab in my electronics degree - never used it again, but have used plenty of simulations software to solve different problems later

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I went with Civil all those years ago (in the same situation as you) because I had zero interest in thermodynamics.
    Don't let money be the only motivator for your choice.And ten years + on I can tell you most engineers end up in management (projects or otherwise) anyway.......

Advertisement