Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good time to sell ?

Options
  • 05-03-2018 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Just looking for some opinions on this, i dont expect anyone to have a crystal ball or anything but just like to hear what you guys think

Bought house in 2008 in Mallow , Cork for 290k, mortgage remaining is 195k. Standard variable rate of 4.1% ish

Its rented for past 3 years and we have to top up the rent by 220 each month so its costing around 3k net per year (top ups / insurances / little bit of tax etc)

We definetely dont want to keep the house long term so we were thinking of selling it now

Two similar houses for sale at moment are for 220k and 230k. The one for 230k is nicer and refused an offer for 225k

We are looking at these costs

3500 auctioneer
    1000 paint outside
    500-1000 touch up inside
    1500 solicitor
    3300 (3 months extra mortgage payments while its selling, hopefully )

Thats about 10k in total which would leave us around 20k after all is said and done. We would be very happy with this ammount

Is it a good time to sell ? We dont want to be greedy and just want to get out in a rising market

Would the bank let us do interest only or anything like that while we are selling ?

Anything else i am not thinking of ?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

You are still taking a considerable hit compared to original purchase price. But it depends on whether you are happy to live with that and whether you need to get out of the rental game or how much you desire to get out of it.

If it is rented out not causing you too many headaches at the moment, I'd imagine you'd be best to ride it out another while longer. Don't know the market in Cork but I can't see a significant immediate risk of price collapse.

Subject to local market conditions and current situation with regard to the rental circumstances, I'd stay as is and reevaluate in 12 months. Mortgage will be a years worth less and you'll have had some rental income for another 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

thanks. I just dont want to get caught in a market where rents are falling and interest rates are rising causing a property market slowdown

Tenants are hassle free . I dont think this house would ever get back to the original purchase price. We had to put over 2k into it last year for heating issues

To be honest ijust dont like it as its too much risk, there are a huge number of issues that could cause us to have financial heartache. I would prefer to keep the 3k per year that we are pumping into it and pay down the mortgage on our primary residence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The property is increasing in value more per year than it is costing you to keep so unless you need to sell I would hold on.

Possible 10% (circa €20K) against a €3K investment, thats not a bad return.

You could always re-evaluate when/if the current tenants move out.

amcalester wrote: »
    The property is increasing in value more per year than it is costing you to keep so unless you need to sell I would hold on.

But how do we know for sure if the value is increasing more than the 3k in a year ?

Isnt it better to sell to a hot market rather than wait to try and time the top ?

But how do we know for sure if the value is increasing more than the 3k in a year ?

You just need to monitor the market and have an eye to your own financial situation.
    If you can get an extra 5k in 12 months, plus your mortgage is 3k less, plus you've made a rental profit of 1k and you've had no issues with tenants etc, you're 9k better off than you are today. There are risks of course and many variables. You need to weigh them up for your own situation.

If it was me l I'd be hanging on.

• Advertisement

Isnt it better to sell to a hot market rather than wait to try and time the top ?

You don't know for sure but all indications are that prices will continue to rise for the foreseeable future.

There's a massive housing shortage and that won't change in the short term so highly unlikely that rents/prices will fall in the short term.

Uriel. wrote: »
    You just need to monitor the market and have an eye to your own financial situation.
    If you can get an extra 5k in 12 months, plus your mortgage is 3k less, plus you've made a rental profit of 1k and you've had no issues with tenants etc, you're 9k better off than you are today. There are risks of course and many variables. You need to weigh them up for your own situation.

If it was me l I'd be hanging on.

How do you mean a 1k rental profit ? We spend 220 a month just to top up the rent to pay the mortgage

If you are happy with those figures then go ahead and move on with your life.

You are paying out cash every month on a house you don't live in.

Do get some advice from a solicitor or accountant up front.

How long are the tenants there - will they have to go before selling?
    Would they buy the house?

If you are happy with those figures then go ahead and move on with your life.

You are paying out cash every month on a house you don't live in.

Do get some advice from a solicitor or accountant up front.

How long are the tenants there - will they have to go before selling?
    Would they buy the house?

They couldnt buy it as they are on HAP

They are there for a year

Im surprised that no one thinks the inevitable increases in interest rates will cause the market to stall

How do you mean a 1k rental profit ? We spend 220 a month just to top up the rent to pay the mortgage

Im talking about rental profit, you said you pay tax on the rent which means you're making some level of profit. Outside of 80% of the interest on the mortgage, the mortgage repayment is not a rental cost.

Don't focus on the 220, focus on the amount of your mortgage that someone else is paying for you.

Effectively, your 220p/m + property tax + tax on rental income is what it is costing you to maintain the mortgage on an asset worth 230k that seems to be at worst maintaining its value and better, appreciating each year.

I'm not saying there's a fantastic return on investment here, rather I am saying in current market conditions you'll likely be in a better position in 12 months compared to today.

However as I've said already there are of course risks involved. I don't see the main risk as being depreciation of house value. I'd expect your house will have a greater market value this time next year.

The level of risk you are happy with and your own needs/desires will dictate your approach here.

• Advertisement

there are 15 years left on the mortgage. It would be nice to have a house to sell when we retire i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Im talking about rental profit, you said you pay tax on the rent which means you're making some level of profit.

Eh no, tax is paid before mortgage repayments. No profit needed to pay tax!!!!

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Eh no, tax is paid before mortgage repayments. No profit needed to pay tax!!!!

What?
    Where did I say anything about tax being paid or not before mortgage repayments.

What?
    Where did I say anything about tax being paid or not before mortgage repayments.

"you said you pay tax on the rent which means you're making some level of profit"

My point is, it doesn't mean that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You might find yourself in a very problematic situation if you try a legal eviction. HAP tenants find it very hard to get property's and if faced with eviction, they are told to over-hold in most cases.

I wonder would a call to the council and offer to sell it to them be an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Im talking about rental profit, you said you pay tax on the rent which means you're making some level of profit.

Tax is paid on rental income not on rental profit. Many expenses are not permitted to be written off, which would be deductible against profit.

Having said that of course you are entirely correct that principal repayments on the mortgage are not a rental cost and should not be tax deductible.

OP - if you are paying that mortgage interest rate it sounds like it is not a BTL mortgage. I imagine perhaps you originally bought the house to live in yourself? A PPR mortgage carries a lower interest rate than a buy to let, they also contain clauses obliging you to live in the house. You may therefore be in breach of your mortgage covenants allowing the bank to exercise rights under the mortgage in terms of higher interest rates, foreclosure etc.

They are not likely to seek to repossess the house but they might up your interest rates.

You should bear this in mind in weighing up whether to retain the property.

Hmm, just looked at bonkers.ie and see quite a few BTL mortgages at these sort of interest rates. I have 2 BTL mortgages at over 2% higher rates, must investigate switching.

Askthe EA wrote: »
    "you said you pay tax on the rent which means you're making some level of profit"

My point is, it doesn't mean that at all.

Rental profit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Why on earth would you presume property in Cork is going to up by 10% per annum indefinitely????

Very very unlikely.

You don't mind me saying OP, 290k is a lot for a house in Mallow? I presume that was at the height of the boom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Hi everyone

Just looking for some opinions on this, i dont expect anyone to have a crystal ball or anything but just like to hear what you guys think

Bought house in 2008 in Mallow , Cork for 290k, mortgage remaining is 195k. Standard variable rate of 4.1% ish

Its rented for past 3 years and we have to top up the rent by 220 each month so its costing around 3k net per year (top ups / insurances / little bit of tax etc)

We definetely dont want to keep the house long term so we were thinking of selling it now

Two similar houses for sale at moment are for 220k and 230k. The one for 230k is nicer and refused an offer for 225k

We are looking at these costs

3500 auctioneer
    1000 paint outside
    500-1000 touch up inside
    1500 solicitor
    3300 (3 months extra mortgage payments while its selling, hopefully )

Thats about 10k in total which would leave us around 20k after all is said and done. We would be very happy with this ammount

Is it a good time to sell ? We dont want to be greedy and just want to get out in a rising market

Would the bank let us do interest only or anything like that while we are selling ?

Anything else i am not thinking of ?

Thanks for any help

Quick question I was wondering would you be liable for Capital Gains Tax? Assuming the property was your PPR until 3 years ago when you rented it out, it essentially became a buy to let property at that point. Would revenue look at any increase in value from 3 years ago to now as a gain despite the loss from the original purchase price?

JimmyMW wrote: »
    Quick question I was wondering would you be liable for Capital Gains Tax? Assuming the property was your PPR until 3 years ago when you rented it out, it essentially became a buy to let property at that point. Would revenue look at any increase in value from 3 years ago to now as a gain despite the loss from the original purchase price?

Good question.

You might find yourself in a very problematic situation if you try a legal eviction. HAP tenants find it very hard to get property's and if faced with eviction, they are told to over-hold in most cases.
    I dont understand this. Its my house and if i provide  3 months notice then i can sell it. 
    Yes it was bought at the height of the boom and 290k was / is crazy money for mallow
    These houses dont seem to have increased in price in the last 6 months or so , thats why i think they could be reaching their max true value 
    This mortgage is not on a BTL rate. I think CGT is only payable in the event the price goes above the purchase price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

I dont understand this. Its my house and if i provide  3 months notice then i can sell it. 

If they abide by the notice, this forum is full of stories of landlords trying to get tenants out after a valid notice has been issued. It may be a fight you need to account for.
    These houses dont seem to have increased in price in the last 6 months or so , thats why i think they could be reaching their max true value 

I agree with you, most spending more than that will look to be closer to the city IMO unless living in mallow specifically suits them, however id say Mallow like Macroom has a lot of residents who commute to the city for work
    I think CGT is only payable in the event the price goes above the purchase price ?

It may be worth getting someone in the profession to have a look at this so you don't face any nasty surprises, remember you have been declaring rental income from the property therefore the revenue know when it became a BTL property, the mortgage is separate to that.

pilly wrote: »
    Why on earth would you presume property in Cork is going to up by 10% per annum indefinitely????

Very very unlikely.

I made no mention of indefinite 10% growth, I even gave the "return" based on 12 months rather than years.

8-10% is the prediction for 2018, if the OP can afford to keep topping up the mortgage for 12 months (and assuming all other things being equal) then it is likely the property will be worth more than it is now.

I'd be more concerned with the tenants over-holding if the OP does decide to evict/sell than the risk of future price decline.

There are not many houses to rent in Mallow full stop, let alone houses within HAP limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Standard variable rate of 4.1% ish

First thing I'd do is switch mortgage provider as that's insane.

KBC do 2.9% rate for your LTV band.

First thing I'd do is switch mortgage provider as that's insane.

KBC do 2.9% rate for your LTV band.

Those are residential rates, the BTL rates are higher 4.5% to 5.25%.

Thanks everyone
    Who could advise on the CGT ? Accountant or solicitor
    What is tenant over - holding ? 
    Also i cant remortgage as house is worth 220k and mortgage left on it is 196k so thats still over 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I'd be interested to hear what the situation is with CGT on rental properties also. I bought a house 12 years ago and rented it out 8 years ago. I paid €319k for the house and it is worth around €250K now. I am considering selling the house in the next 6 to 12 months.

Also, are local authorities buying rental properties? My tenant is on rent allowance and is on the local housing list for 6 years.

• Advertisement

I made no mention of indefinite 10% growth, I even gave the "return" based on 12 months rather than years.

8-10% is the prediction for 2018, if the OP can afford to keep topping up the mortgage for 12 months (and assuming all other things being equal) then it is likely the property will be worth more than it is now.

I'd be more concerned with the tenants over-holding if the OP does decide to evict/sell than the risk of future price decline.

There are not many houses to rent in Mallow full stop, let alone houses within HAP limits.

Without being pedantic you specifically said per year, nowhere did you say this year.

Advertisement