Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a Stag around the time of the Pope's visit

Options
  • 05-03-2018 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi folks,
    I hope I've put this in the right sub-forum!  I'm hoping to plan a stag do between the dates of 24th -26th August 2018.  As chance would have it, it is during the period that the Pope will be visiting Dublin.

I was wondering if the pubs and such will be operating at a normal capacity during this weekend - this might seem like a silly question but I'm paranoid of dragging a bunch of lads down to the fair city and places closing early because of the big man himself.
    Aside from that, would anyone recommend any half-decent accommodation for a group of about 20-30?  We aren't an overly rowdy bunch, just a few Irish lads that enjoy a bit of live music and a shower of good Guinness.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Of course the pubs will run as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Seriously I would expect no change from normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hotel prices might be well above normal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Sykth

Appreciate the response lads - cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Hotel prices might be well above normal though.

No rooms at the inns...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

For accommodation try the Generator Hostel in Smithfield. Great location and I've seen stags/hens there so they must cater for them. More craic in big dorms together and better value for your mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Sounds like the opening line of a joke.

Yiz have to dress up as priests now. There's no way around it. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Sykth

boombang wrote: »
    Sounds like the opening line of a joke.

Yiz have to dress up as priests now. There's no way around it. : )
    Haha read my mind boyo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I doubt the pope will make much of a difference in terms of hotel prices. There'll only be a few grannies up from the country and going back down the same day, they wouldn't spend the money on hotels. It'll be a perfectly normal day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

cgcsb wrote: »
    I doubt the pope will make much of a difference in terms of hotel prices. There'll only be a few grannies up from the country and going back down the same day, they wouldn't spend the money on hotels. It'll be a perfectly normal day.

Flask of tea and a few ham sandwiches wrapped in the wrapper from the sliced pan ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There's some global gathering of Catholics attached. It'll make a difference. And hotel prices in Dublin in August are ridiculous as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It'll be demented. I'm old enough to remember 1979. Ok probably won't be over a million in the park, but still will be a huge gathering. Plus bank holiday in uk next monday so parties. Hotel prices will be crazy.

There's some global gathering of Catholics attached. It'll make a difference. And hotel prices in Dublin in August are ridiculous as it is.

They've booked the main hall in the RDS for it so think like a small concert in scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

According to the Daily Mail booked Croke Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It’ll be capacity crowds at Crocker, with events over a couple of days - so bound to be some hotel price consequences.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just book your accommodation now and then relax until August.

Genealogy Forum Mod

alastair wrote: »
    It’ll be capacity crowds at Crocker, with events over a couple of days - so bound to be some hotel price consequences.
    Interesting their website says RDS. Interesting, they're obviously optimistic about crowds if they booked croker.

Interesting their website says RDS. Interesting, they're obviously optimistic about crowds if they booked croker.

I’d imagine they’ll have conference stuff in the RDS and a pope gig in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They would have trouble getting planning for Croker.

L1011 wrote: »
    They would have trouble getting planning for Croker.

The event is already booked into Croke Park. It must fall under the gamut of a conference, rather than a special event, and therefore doesn’t require planning permission. The biggest pope gig will be in the Phoenix Park again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement