Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden drainage

Options
  • 05-03-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

I only have a small garden, maybe 5m by 8m. The garden gets fairly wet at times. I was going to do some drainage channels and just fill with stone. Do I need drainage pipes or will stone do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s best out pipes in while your digging, 4 inch land drainage pipe is cheap.

Do you have somewhere to run it off to or will you be relying on a stone sump to dissipate the water.

How wet it is actually.
    Is the soil a bit wet or is it really wet down deep.

We’re after having 7 months of really bad weather and most ground is in bad shape. If it dries during good weather I don’t think draining is going to do much considering the effort required.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's a great thread somewhere in this forum with pics of a drainage project but I can't find it now.

edit: found it!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054939061

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s best out pipes in while your digging, 4 inch land drainage pipe is cheap.

Do you have somewhere to run it off to or will you be relying on a stone sump to dissipate the water.

How wet it is actually.
    Is the soil a bit wet or is it really wet down deep.

We’re after having 7 months of really bad weather and most ground is in bad shape. If it dries during good weather I don’t think draining is going to do much considering the effort required.

Thanks, I was probably going to go with a stone sump but having a look at it today, it’s actually grand. As you said after all he bad weather, maybe this isn’t actually needed.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

good timing on the thread.
    my garden is wet 365 days a year and totally swamp like since october. completely destroyed at this stage going into the summer

i had a look at the other thread which is cool, but something i would not be sure how to plan out.

will a soakway pit work in all situations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

site_owner wrote: »
    good timing on the thread.
    my garden is wet 365 days a year and totally swamp like since october. completely destroyed at this stage going into the summer

i had a look at the other thread which is cool, but something i would not be sure how to plan out.

will a Soakway pit work in all situations?

Yes, Although you might be better running it off to a Ditch if possible.
    If you have a big area you'd be best with a few Soakaways staggered around the Garden

thanks, we have a very small walled in garden.

there is a height difference on the back wall to the field on the other side.
    i had thought about digging down and drilling some holes through that wall, but i dont know if that would work

i was thinking, current plan would be to dig one soakaway(red square) and run two pipes (red lines)to it?
    garden is about 20ft by 26ft

GDC5YeO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I put down artificial turf on my garden,weedblock underneath and a couple of inches of quarry dust on top, finished off with artificial turf. No more worries about wet garden.

maybe i'm misunderstanding what would happen, but would the water not just sit on top of the turf?

site_owner wrote: »
    maybe i'm misunderstanding what would happen, but would the water not just sit on top of the turf?

Slight slope to where I put in a stone drain. The water quickly drains through the turf and quarry dust anyway,any excess water finds it's way to the drain (I assume,as I never have lying water in the garden).
    The dust was perfect and cheap,very easy to level.
    Keeping the garden clean is as easy as sweeping with a yard brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I put down artificial turf on my garden,weedblock underneath and a couple of inches of quarry dust on top, finished off with artificial turf. No more worries about wet garden.

Thats fine, but did you have a wet garden like the persons image above, or were you just looking for artificial grass ?

listermint wrote: »
    Thats fine, but did you have a wet garden like the persons image above, or were you just looking for artificial grass ?

Before that, I could rear a frog colony in my garden. Even with the minimum of rain the neighbours gardens turn into swamps. It's not unusual to see ponds of water in their gardens. Drainage is atrocious around here.

Slight slope to where I put in a stone drain. .

that makes sense, so sloping the garden to drain it?
    tahnsk for the alternative suggestion

i think i'd prefer to keep the real grass, if we can get it to a point where its not just mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's enough plastic in this world without covering our gardens in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Lumen wrote: »
    There's enough plastic in this world without covering our gardens in it.

I'm as intent on getting my bowling green lawn as the next guy, but I'd have no hesitation with considering an artificial lawn if I had a garden getting the wear and tear that the OPs is, with the circumstances he's dealing with.

Can't speak for the drainage he should consider, etc, etc, but at a minimum if played on when wet it won't be damaged and clothes will only be wet & not dirty.

Just to add,I installed the lawn myself,cut down a lot of the cost. A bit of wheelbarrow work,raking and levelling. You put down the lawn pretty much the same way as putting down a carpet. There's special adhesive strips that go under it if you need to join it. I also used a load of spare ground spikes I had left over from an old tent to hold it into the ground around the edges. It's never moved since.
    It's also power hose proof.:)

One word of advice,measure once, measure twice and measure again before cutting it.;)

Advertisement