Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay parking suspended in Drogheda

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I see in the media articles they are already talking about the deficit of a few hundred thousand that this will have for the budget of Louth Co. Co., and it makes me wonder if they will make Drogheda suffer by curtailing other services to make it up. Oh wait, that's already happened.

The money missing will be covered by the general Louth CoCo budget so won't directly affect drogheda (ie; the money they've agreed to spend in Drogheda will be spent) but they said that if it goes on longer than 3 months or takes more than 300k out of the budget they may have to look at taking something out of Drogheda's budget to cover the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

Excellent, now what about the toll ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Spotted the traffic/community warden looking extra hard at car windows in the car park on Mary Street yesterday. I presume (rightfully so) that tax discs are their top priority for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Hopefully he looks as hard, and more frequently in loading bays and disabled bays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

It sounds great but there's a down side. Now all those working in town are taking the parking spaces so that there's less parking available than before. Also, people are parking all day in 2- and 4-hour parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

bpmurray wrote: »
    It sounds great but there's a down side. Now all those working in town are taking the parking spaces so that there's less parking available than before. Also, people are parking all day in 2- and 4-hour parking spaces.

Totally agree with this, the only people over the next three months who will benefit are the workers, take the hay market car park, how much they will lose out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Totally agree with this, the only people over the next three months who will benefit are the workers, take the hay market car park, how much they will lose out

Nothing,they will be busier than ever if the on street parking is full.

i Was in drogheda town centre q for 10 mins saturday lunch time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It's an interesting scenario, after a few weeks you could have the retailers heralding a resurgence in trade due to the free parking.

Funnily enough I saw a tonne of parking tickets on Saturday for cars parked in taxi ranks and loading bays. I wonder if some people think that the parking rules as a whole have been withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

its a pain in the hoop at the moment ... impossible to get parking now during the day. I have absolutely no issue with paying for parking and will regularly pop in to the town for lunch or a coffee during the day as I work from home. the only option now is either Laurence street underground or down the quays - and the traffic is much worse as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

BTW, be careful: the quays are actually not free - they're Drogheda Port's so they're not part of the current thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

delly wrote: »
    It's an interesting scenario, after a few weeks you could have the retailers heralding a resurgence in trade due to the free parking.

Funnily enough I saw a tonne of parking tickets on Saturday for cars parked in taxi ranks and loading bays. I wonder if some people think that the parking rules as a whole have been withdrawn.

I was in town last Saturday and on Wednesday and I see the same. What sort of brain capacity have these people that they equate pay parking suspended with completely illegal parking? For ages cars used to park on the footpath in front of St Marys Church on James's St, then the warden started giving out tickets for illegal parking. As soon as the pay parking was suspended the cars are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Traffic on the town is an absolute nightmare as a result of this, such a noticeable difference. I wont be going anywhere near the place again unless necessary until this mess is sorted

I hear rumours that when it's reinstated they'll be looking to up the charge from 1.20 per hour to 1.40.

Advertisement