Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave during site closure during snow

Options
  • 06-03-2018 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

quick question here . last wednesday i booked off the friday when i saw the forecasts for the snow as i live on the side of a mountain up back roads . i knew if it snowed the roads would be impassible . thursday morning we all got a text saying our company was shut down from 4pm thursday and all staff told to go home that the site was shut down for the friday . everyone got paid leave without having to take holidays.

can i get back those holiday hours seeing as the site was closed .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

quick question here . last wednesday i booked off the friday when i saw the forecasts for the snow as i live on the side of a mountain up back roads . i knew if it snowed the roads would be impassible . thursday morning we all got a text saying our company was shut down from 4pm thursday and all staff told to go home that the site was shut down for the friday . everyone got paid leave without having to take holidays.

can i get back those holiday hours seeing as the site was closed .

In my place, there were those who were required for those two days and they got their normal wage.

There are those who were advised not to come in as they were not required and they will receive 2 days special leave paid agreement.

Those people who had already applied for leave prior to red warning have to take the hit on the leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sorry but you took leave and you are stuck with it.
    There is no legal requirement for a company to close, if they decide to pay people if they close then that is solely on them
    Where I work - those that came in on Wednesday got full pay (even tho we left early), those that didn't turn up have to take it as annual leave or nada. Thurs/Fri the company is, while not obliged to, paying the full days wage

To put it another way, if it all was for nothing and the country was moving along fine would you have gone into work on the Friday even tho you had booked it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CURIOUS4SNOW

fritzelly wrote: »
    Sorry but you took leave and you are stuck with it.
    There is no legal requirement for a company to close, if they decide to pay people if they close then that is solely on them
    Where I work - those that came in on Wednesday got full pay (even tho we left early), those that didn't turn up have to take it as annual leave or nada. Thurs/Fri the company is, while not obliged to, paying the full days wage

To put it another way, if it all was for nothing and the country was moving along fine would you have gone into work on the Friday even tho you had booked it off?

If it had all come to nothing i probably would have gone to work ya . As i dont really enjoy taking holidays in crap weather . And i have done in the past when promised cold weather didnt happen.

If i had text my boss on the thursday after the text went out to say "cancel my day off" id be grand but hind site is great i didnt think they would take the hrs as the entire site was closed .
    And everyone told the site wasnt safe to work in .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You experienced what half of the country was thinking last week... do I take annual leave or see how it goes in hopes of days off? :p

I know two people who thought the same. On Wednesday one took the day off (annual leave) and the other played it smart and talked to the manager to see "what if it does snow and I can't go in?" - Manager in that case said don't use an annual leave as the place might be closed (Being alright and putting them wide to things) In both cases, both places were closed Thursday and Friday.
    In the end one used an annual leave the other did not.

So op, nothing you can do just live and learn ;) Besides you can always suss things out on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

You'll know for the next time, op!

Once your employer isn't a callcentre run by a nazi that will hit you with a formal warning for being 5 minutes late, most employers will accept a phonecall on the morning to say you can't make it. Then you can decide with your employer whether you get paid leave, unpaid leave, take a day's annual leave or agree to work time in lieu.

I know the roads were pretty impassible, but years ago you'd probably have booked a hotel or stayed with a friend near your job or (for culchies) phoned a neighbour with a tractor to get you to work. I think it's a pretty recent thing where employers tell their staff to stay at home and still get paid.

By the way... no harm asking your employer for the day back, especially given the reason you booked the day off and that the office didn't open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement