Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VirginMedia to Eir

• 06-03-2018 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

I’m thinking of moving from VM to Eir to reduce cost but am concerned about broadband speeds. Am attracted to Eir by their offer incl free Eir sports, plus their phone offering is good.

I’ve heard that the move would result in noticeable reduction in speed when streaming etc due to Eir using the old phone lines vs what I’ve been accustomed to with VM. Broadband speed is a priority, & I would not move if speeds would indeed be noticeably worse than what I enjoy currently.

My question is whether the Eir offering enables quality streaming of Netflix / YouTube etc, without any quality issues like buffering etc? If this would be any kind of an issue it would be a dealbreaker.

Also is there a list somewhere of what infrastructure each of the service providers use eg VM use their own fiber optic TV cabling, Eir use old Eircom phonelines into the house, Vodafone/Sky use etc etc?

Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Eir speeds really depend on the location of the house to the junction box. I get approx 30 mbps over the eir lines.

You will notice the drop in speed though how much depends on how many people use things at the same time and what youre used to. Id say in my house it wouldnt be noticed that much but we only have one main TV and no xboxes etc in the house.

Advertisement