Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work related stress

Options
  • 06-03-2018 6:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm working as a general operative in a factory. Management in the factory are putting me under extreme pressure. 99% of the shift would have an assigned job every day running a particular machine whereas i would basically be given the job that noone else wants to do or fill the gap if someone is out or just basically being the runaround. It has come to the stage where I am the laughing stock of the shift as everyone knows that if they don't want to do a job that it will be just passed to me to be done by the manager. I am basically the managers easy way out.
    It has become frustrating and has even come to the stage that someone could be brought in on overtime to run a machine so I can still be the person to run around and clean after everyone else which makes things worse again.
    I've explained this to the manager and asked him to be fairer in selection of duties to possibly mix it up and move people around but to no heed.
    In a typical 8 hour shift I could end up doing the bad jobs in 5 or 6 different parts of the factory (the factory is about 2km from end to end).
    It is coming to the stage where it is starting to really stress me out due to the frustration and really depressing me. I am starting to lose sleep sometimes not sleeping at all before a shift.
    My next step is to see a doctor or someone in the right profession. The problem is that I know they are going to advise me to take time off. The problem is I can't as I don't know if the sick pay scheme (5weeks) generally does cover "Work related stress" as a leave of absence. Is work related stress leave generally covered as a standard reason for being unfit to work in the Irish employment law? I'm sure it would be certified by a doctor or a qualified person.
    I'm actually afraid to ask as I'm afraid of what would happen if it got around. All advice very much appreciated!! TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Stress is an illness. There is no such thing as separate stress leave, it's all sick leave. So if you would be paid for five weeks for being sick with anything else, then you should be for this.
    However the majority of organisations will have a clause in their sick pay policy around the idea that if the policy is being abused they can withdraw pay, so you are never gaurenteed payment. It may not be an issue, but just to be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Been there in both a factory and an office

You’re a diligent worker OP who cares about your job and I’d say while your supervisors like you they don’t respect you. Well they don’t disrespect you or mean anything bad, they do like you just they don’t listen

They know you will bail them out every time and cover many tasks when needed. The problem is you are so good at it it’s now just easy to leave you there and train other staff on the better tasks. This can happen in an office, a factory, a site and in any job.

You asked and nothing changed. You can ask for a formal meeting but I don’t think you’ll get a better result. Is there a union in your factory?

Do find a copy of your contract and there should an employment handbook you can read. Someone else will be along about your doctor, good luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I would not be inclined to go sick unless absolutely and genuinely necessary. In these types of places it can be seen as 'pulling a sickie' and wont do your reputation in the eyes of the business any favours - thats in my experience at least.

Work on getting assigned to a different section or production line if thats an option. Maybe a chat with HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I know as a manager if someone is certified off for a couple of weeks for anything I insist on a return to work cert to ensure the employee is well and safe to return, allowing a certified employee return is a major risk to a company and they would be foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

_Brian wrote: »
    I know as a manager if someone is certified off for a couple of weeks for anything I insist on a return to work cert to ensure the employee is well and safe to return, allowing a certified employee return is a major risk to a company and they would be foolish.

Its the company that is causing the issue in this case. If the OP weren't treated so badly then he/she wouldn't even need to ask this question.

OP, its clear that the management just see you as a pushover and that they have no intention of changing. You need to make an official complaint here to HR or union if you are in one. Its an awful way to treat not only an employee but a fellow human being. Make it clear that you don't like being treated so unfairly and bring a list of dates and occurrences that back up your claims.

If it keeps going I would start looking around for work elsewhere. Life is way too short and your mental health way too important to be putting up with this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 maccabe

OP - just throwing a slightly different perspective into the mix here. Maybe you are bloody good at doing these ad-hoc tasks, and you do them to such a high standard that your manager may not get the same results when someone else does them. Ultimately, the work has got to get done, and your manager sees you as someone reliable to get the task sorted in the way they like. I dont know the full back story to this so it is hard to tell you to march straight to HR and make a formal complaint. However, it could be unfair delegation of these duties - only you can judge that. If it is stressing you out it is not good, could a sit down with your manager work whereby you outline all your frustrations, see it from his perspective, and try and hammer out a solution with good old fashioned communication? If you have exhausted that, then it might be time to speak with his manager or consider a grievance. You have to look after your health, if you believe there is an easy solution to this, I would suggest you present it to your line manager (they might not see the solution OR might not be active listeners to problems). Hope it gets sorted!

Advertisement