Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sauerkraut and a healthy gut microbiome

Options
  • 06-03-2018 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Recently I tried making sauerkraut at home, I haven`t tried it yet because its still fermenting. Anyway, its supposed to be very good for you, a superfood in fact, as the following video shows. It seems to be quite popular on the continent. Was there ever an Irish version of sauerkraut before food was mass produced and easy to preserve? I don`t think there was which is surprising given it involves cabbage and storing food for the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6H31jWXLh0

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: I've moved this into the main Food forum where it will be seen, and added a tag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Cabbage plants will generally overwinter happily in our climate, so you can just go out to your garden and cut a head as you need it, rather than having to preserve it. I remember my grandparents doing this years ago.

It struck me during the recent snow that they were much better able to deal with similar weather. They had a shed of turf, a pit of potatoes, cabbage and other veg in the garden, flour to make bread, hens for eggs, their own well and a cow for milk. It was hard work all summer to grow everything and save turf etc. but they were fairly self sufficient as a result. No central heating or frozen water pipe issues to deal with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Cabbage plants will generally overwinter happily in our climate, so you can just go out to your garden and cut a head as you need it, rather than having to preserve it. I remember my grandparents doing this years ago.

It struck me during the recent snow that they were much better able to deal with similar weather. They had a shed of turf, a pit of potatoes, cabbage and other veg in the garden, flour to make bread, hens for eggs, their own well and a cow for milk. It was hard work all summer to grow everything and save turf etc. but they were fairly self sufficient as a result. No central heating or frozen water pipe issues to deal with either.

my mother in law still does that alot over in Lithuania, gets a vegetable patch started once the snow starts to melt and grows over the summer and ferments/pickles alot of veg and fruit they grow and they have a basement where they store potatoes and apples that winter as picked.

Advertisement