Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Western Union Phishing

• 06-03-2018 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭

My wife just got a call this morning from western union on the landline about a fraudulant Polish transaction and AIB called ....asked for her mobile and she then got another call from AIB (she asked for their details as we've had enough Microsoft calls). At no point did she give any personal info (other than mobile number) and they eventually hung up.
    It may be valid, but they called at morning rush hour (school run) and the left her hanging on the line and hung up when i called her after she texted me......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,485 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what is the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Initially it was awareness, reminding others that this is still ongoing.
    The ploy isn't new but the method of calling homes during busy periods and calling on both lines at once to avoid any communication to others was new. She didn't bite but it's just to make people aware.
    I suppose if there is a question, then it would be: If you give out details, are you liable for any theft?
    I'd imagine the word theft would imply not, but you never know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

bduffy wrote: »
    The ploy isn't new but the method of calling homes during busy periods and calling on both lines at once ......

which they were able to do because she supplied them with her mobile number. Maybe you need to talk to her about basic personal data security.

Like the Microsoft scam that you appear to be aware of, they simply dial random numbers so you do not want to hand over any personal data.

If in doubt and they claim to be your bank, ask them to quote you your account number and the location of the last ATM where you withdrew cash, that will bring the call to a rapid conclusion.

I realise that she was probably running out the door and didn't want to be hanging on the landline but you do not divulge personal phone numbers to people who call you out of the blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement